• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Got this email from the refuge a few minutes ago. She is looking for good-hearted people to help grow her efforts. Please look at the list and see if there is anything that you can help with, or if there is someone you know that would be interested in helping. She seems to need a "street team" to help get the word out - that is why I post these things for the Refuge, there simply aren't enough hours for Miss Laurie.

Alaqua Animal Refuge is holding a volunteer drive on Thursday, September 27 at 6 p.m. at the Refuge (call for directions). Feel free to pass this email onto anyone you feel would be interested. Please RSVP to lh@lauriehood.com or to 880-6399 by Tuesday, September 25.

We some very exciting things to report and would like to recruit our committees for each areas. The areas we need to immediately work on are:

A Fund Raising committee
Membership Committee
Marketing Committee

Press kit
Handle weekly newspaper inserts
Work with PR company to have consistent press - http://www.netpr.net/ _
Newsletter

Volunteer Committee
Events Committee
Canine Carnival Event – this needs to be top priority
Bi-monthly adoptions
Fundraising

Web and graphics
We need a re-design of our current website & a webmaster for the site
We need a template for the newsletter/magazine

Adoption Coordinator (s)
Transport Coordinator - Arranges transports for animals to vet and events
Creates network for flyers to be posted & kept current
Ideally have an off site adoption every other weekend
Set hours on site for potential adopters to come
Create a database of other rescues for coalition effort (I have this already)
Foster home program

Adoption packet – food samples, training print outs, etc.
Photography and description of animals
Administrative
Follow up letters for adopters and donators
Database
Maintain Kennel software

Walton County relations (I will need to do this one)
Work to contract and be paid for adoptable animals we take from Walton County
Sheriff Dept relations for large animals

Medical Committee
Medical Care for animals & record keeping
Solicit a network of vets willing to participate in low cost medical care for rescues
“Voucher system” for spay/neuter – the goal is to have no pet leave without being spayed or neutered or purchasing a voucher for such
Spay / Neuter program

Building committee for new property
Have a rendering done in time to present at the Canine Carnival
Misc…

- I need an attorney!!!! Someone who will help draft some documents when needed and to give advice when situations arise

- Program for people who have found animals – for example a “Found” website that links lost and found pets somehow to Alaqua

- Staff and volunteer certification program put in place – Schedule of classes and paperwork for certification

- Program for Hospice Patients for placing their pets

I think at this point the most important is to create our image we want to portray with the website, brochures, press, etc. We can then take that and raise some money immediately with the membership drive and recognition events, with Canine Carnival being our first public event to utilize. If we make this a big success and invite the right people out I think it would be a good start. I do think we need to have a meeting in the very near future with the people you have in mind to help as well as my Board to get the ball rolling.

I look forward to your comments.

Laurie Hood

Alaqua Animal Refuge

P.O. Box 48

Freeport, Florida 32439

www.alaquaanimalrefuge.com

Last edited:

Evangeline

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2007
I'll come out of long-time lurk mode to say I've heard such wonderful things about this refuge. I'm awed by the passion and commitment of people who take on such causes, and as a pet lover, I plan to support it both financially and physically. I hope others will too.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I wouldnt be able to attend the drive but am willing do to what I can.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
I'll come out of long-time lurk mode to say I've heard such wonderful things about this refuge. I'm awed by the passion and commitment of people who take on such causes, and as a pet lover, I plan to support it both financially and physically. I hope others will too.

:welcome: Welcome Evangeline.

I wouldnt be able to attend the drive but am willing do to what I can.

I hope both of you ladies have contacted Laurie directly. I know that she would apperciate any help that you are able to offer. :love:

Working out my plans to see if I am able to make it the meeting myself. But I'm sure she'll allow use to help if we can't make the meeting. :D

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005

:cool: :cool: :cool: :welcome: Evangeline :wave:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
After the weekend I've had I know that I needed a reminder - so I thought I would repost this just incase anyone else felt the same way. :D

Alaqua Animal Refuge is holding a volunteer drive on Thursday, September 27 at 6 p.m. at the Refuge (call for directions). Feel free to pass this email onto anyone you feel would be interested. Please RSVP to lh@lauriehood.com or to 880-6399 by Tuesday, September 25.

I am 85% sure I am going and I would love to see some of ya'll there! :wave:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
I thought I would post this email that I just got from Laurie - in case anyone was interested in how it went. (I wasn't able to make it myself :sosad:)

On behalf of myself and the Board, thank you all for making the effort to come out and meet with us on Thursday. The turnout was wonderful and we feel honored to have such a professional and qualified group of people standing behind us.

Next week, I will send each of the committees the goals we have in mind for that group. We can then set a time for each committee to get together in a location and time that works for everyone to discuss ideas and strategies.

For those of you who were not able to make it, we would love to have you on board. Please let me know if any there are any areas you may have an interest in and we will add you to the mailing list.

Thank you all once again. See you soon.

Laurie Hood
Alaqua Animal Refuge
P.O. Box 48
Freeport, Florida 32439
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.com