• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I do a little bit of volunteer work, but never feel like I do enough, or as much as I want to do. Just curious to know how many of you volunteer your time to worthwhile charities or causes, and how much time that might be each week or month. :dunno: Also, I would be interested in hearing what first peeked your interest in volunteering, and what keeps you coming back, continuing to give.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
I do a little bit of volunteer work, but never feel like I do enough, or as much as I want to do. Just curious to know how many of you volunteer your time to worthwhile charities or causes, and how much time that might be each week or month. :dunno: Also, I would be interested in hearing what first peeked your interest in volunteering, and what keeps you coming back, continuing to give.

I do some. Not nearly enough. I am a volunteer for the hospital that I had my breast cancer surgery and treatment. My doctors asked if I would be willing to talk with patients that were going through similar circumstances. I do get calls from from time to time. I try and visit them if they are willing to have visitors. I have made some life long friends. It's a very humbling and emotional experience.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I am not sure if this is the type of volunteering you are referring to, but I feel it is a worthwhile cause. I am the president of our Community recreation center that provides Baseball, Softball, Tball and Soccer, and Basketball for our kids in the community. I run the concession stand and work at the ballfield in many other ways. We are a very small community and want our kids involved in sports to keep them active and to provide an outlet for them so that they don't get involved in other "things". I probably put in about 20 to 25 hours a week at the ballpark during our seasons. I have been doing this since my son played tball and he is 14 now. I really enjoy it, even though it is hard work. Most of these kids come from lower income families and they would have nothing else to do if we did not offer this to them. It makes me proud to see these kids when they go off to play for the school. We have had several teams that have gone on to win county championships at the local middle and high schools and they all started at the Rec Center. That makes me proud!

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Hmnmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I have volunteered for way to long. Taking a break!

I was president of our local Civitan's for waaay toooo long. Started way too many funds and charities. Breakfast with Santa and way too many other things Loved it for a long time but got tired of doing all the work all the time.

Was also on the board of directors for our local Habitat for Humanity for a long time. Seems like all the same people did all the same work for a very long time. Just got my final gull in my final habitat home this week. I am tired. Any suggestions? :dunno:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
I am not sure if this is the type of volunteering you are referring to, but I feel it is a worthwhile cause. I am the president of our Community recreation center that provides Baseball, Softball, Tball and Soccer, and Basketball for our kids in the community. I run the concession stand and work at the ballfield in many other ways. We are a very small community and want our kids involved in sports to keep them active and to provide an outlet for them so that they don't get involved in other "things". I probably put in about 20 to 25 hours a week at the ballpark during our seasons. I have been doing this since my son played tball and he is 14 now. I really enjoy it, even though it is hard work. Most of these kids come from lower income families and they would have nothing else to do if we did not offer this to them. It makes me proud to see these kids when they go off to play for the school. We have had several teams that have gone on to win county championships at the local middle and high schools and they all started at the Rec Center. That makes me proud!

And that Miss Dwells is why we :love: U! You are making a difference in the life of a child that may not have this opportunity otherwise. :clap: You're the best. ;-)

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I do some. Not nearly enough. I am a volunteer for the hospital that I had my breast cancer surgery and treatment. My doctors asked if I would be willing to talk with patients that were going through similar circumstances. I do get calls from from time to time. I try and visit them if they are willing to have visitors. I have made some life long friends. It's a very humbling and emotional experience.

Well here's my chance to tell everyone how much it meant to me that you included a dear friend of mine in the circle of hope and the encouragement, laughter and attention he needed so badly while undergoing chemotherapy for a rare form of spinal cancer which is usually terminal.

I am so pleased to say that he just sent an e-mail reporting that his tumor is in remission.
Thanks GTTBM. :love: :love: :love: :clap: :clap: You truly are a Georgia Peach!

and to everyone else who volunteers or volunteered at some point, here's a bow for you all. You never know what difference you can make in someone's life. :clap: and I am sure all of you have, even if it's not always quite evident.

I used to volunteer years ago at the Childrens Village which houses young boys who were abused or didn't fare well in foster care, and then at a school for young children with special needs.

I do volunteer a little now for a group disseminating information via the telephone, but not as much as I would like.

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

Grief counseling....and there is always an abundance of this to do. My passion is working with mothers who have lost small babies. My 3 day old son "Jody" died October 6th, 1987. After much group therapy I became involved with seeing mothers in the hospital (if they wanted someone to talk with) after their loss of new borns. Sometimes it's not till 6 months or years that they suddenly need someone to talk too. This is done on a confidential bases. So if you ever know someone who needs this please let me know. It usually comes through a friend or close family member that I get a call. I've also helped with the loss of parents and close loved ones.

I think one always feels they could do more. Then there are the times when you need to sit back.... rest and let someone else do it.

:clap: Great thread Smiling Joe....I love your thoughts and how it makes a person think more about volunteering.

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
i will be honest here - after working with the public all week, the last thing i wanna do in my free time is be with the public. so i donate money to many charities ie, help the animals (a no-kill shelter here), united way, american heart assoc., american cancer society, meals on wheels, the animal welfare league, fraternal order of police, indiana sheriffs assoc., and i can't think what all else.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Even though I'm on staff at my church, many hours are donated. I teach sunday school and help at special events. I've been the PTA School Pictures and Yearbook Chairman for the past 3 years at the Elem school and today I get to volunteer during the 5 Track Challenge which is similar to field day.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Hippotherapy. For the last 5 years I've been volunteering with a not for profit organization called McKenna Farms Hippotherapy. This is working with special needs children/adults (autism, downs syndrome, spina bifida, cerebral palsey, etc.) on horseback. Each patient not only needs a therapist by their side but also a volunteer to lead the horse and a volunteer to sidewalk. Not only are we helping the patients but the horses that we use are either unwanted or retired. I do this on Tuesdays usually for about 2 hours or for how ever long they need me. It's wonderful to watch the progress of these very brave souls. Imagine being on a big giant horse when you have no feeling from your waist down. It's very inspiring! If anyone is interested in this type of volunteering you can go to NARHA.org or com. I'm not sure which on it is. That stands for North American Riding for the Handicapped Association. You can click on your state and they will list all of the locations where it is offered. I was also the yearbook lady for 3 years at my son's elementary school. I did everything from taking all the pictures to putting the entire book together. It was the best non paying job ever. I always felt like a celebrity when I walked into that school with my camera around my neck. The kids would run up to me and make funny faces. That was almost 10 years ago and it's great to sit down with the yearbooks and look back at them. Okay - enough for me!:D