Vote for Visit South Walton Logo

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by SoWal Staff, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SoWal Staff

SoWal Staff Serving the Community! Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  2. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

They forgot the rental phone numbers on the umbrella logo:)

3. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Vote results, please.

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I'm leaning toward the one on the upper left with the umbrellas. Any thoughts about why one is preferred over the other? I like the umbrellas because they say "beach" to me and I believe that's what the logo used to be (so it's what I'm used to). I like some of the other fonts better, though. Thoughts and preferences? I think it's helpful to hear other opinions before voting.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Umbrellas. So many people still identify with them.

6. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I agree they all need more work.

A couple of points...
    A lot of money has already gone into the change to the script. Time to get it right if we're spending a ton again. If it cost a million bucks to add Gulf Place to all the marketing materials, how much to change a logo?
    If the TDC wants to change their branding from "Visit South Walton" to "South Walton Florida" shouldn't they own the domain?
    I can think of 5 local designers off the top of my head who could all do better than these choices.

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Top left, we wasted a truckload of money to wind up where we were.

8. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

What happen to "Villages..."? I thought that added a little charm to it. Visit South Walton. Cold.

9. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I vote for top right font with the red/white umbrellas..kinda the same,just a bit updated.

10. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

If I had to choose, I'd pick either the top left or the middle left. Don't like the font on the top left one, and the middle left needs something graphic like the umbrellas along with it. I think the top right one can be too easily confused for "fort walton" instead of "south walton".

Why don't you just sell them the SoWal logo? Or license them to use it? It's simple, compact, distinctive, and seems to be gaining traction.

After all these years, VRBO still refers to the area as "The Beaches of South Walton", not "South Walton." Tripadvisor doesn't even have a forum category for the area between Destin and PCB but lists the beach neighborhoods separately (seagrove, seaside, etc.). A search for "South Walton" on wikipedia brings up a disambiguation page for "Walton Beach", whose first reference is "Fort Walton Beach", with a secondary reference to "The beaches of Walton County, Florida on the Emerald Coast." I won't mention the confusion with Santa Rosa Beach and Santa Rosa county.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Walton

If I were in marketing I'd try doing something with all three sites to try to ensure South Walton points first to South Walton.

11. BeachRob

BeachRob Beach Lover

Middle Right logo... Coincidence? I think not.

Like it. Voted for it.

seaside-streetmap.gif

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  12. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Apparently the man wielding the broom won't stop until everything is swept out the door no matter the cost.

I vote to spend the money on beach accesses, trash pickup, bike path maintenance, and conservation. Changing the logo again makes a clear case that bed tax is too high.

13. golden

golden Beach Lover

Top left w umbrellas

14. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I still like the logo with the 3 umbrellas. Although I like some of the other fonts a bit better for stationery, I think the block type font is best for visibility and easy-to-read on signs, mugs, etc., and lends an informality (not uppityness) to the logo. The simple font emphasizes the laid back culture of the area, which I like very much. I also think the 3 umbrellas would make nice posters and other accessories to put inside rentals to help "brand" the area. I really liked the discussion on this thread. And, I just voted...

15. seal

seal Beach Lover

Top left with the red and white umbrellas.

Imagine how much better that logo will look on a white background on the Sandestin water tower. Right now, it's that aqua cursive logo on a vomit colored background. Am I right?

16. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

What's nice about the umbrellas is that the picture itself can stand alone and say "South Walton" even without words. I think the cursive looks good, but it just isn't that legible, especially from a distance. So, I'm going for the block letters.

17. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

The bottom right logo was selected. It is supposed to be a dune and a wave. I will say the same thing as last time branding/logo was selected - that "beach" or "beaches" should be in the brand.

swf-logo.jpg

Not to mention that Ocean Reef Resorts owns SouthWaltonFlorida.com - I wonder if the TDC has bought it yet or will another person swoop in and swipe it from them? Ocean Reef is probably smart enough to keep it but the domain doesn't even point to their site at present.

Our brand should be "South Walton Beaches" or "South Walton Beach" if that will be the eventual name of the city south of the bay.

Changing out logos is going to be a very expensive undertaking. This along with the new $250k (estimated) website will make some folks happy that money is not being spent directly on advertising for more visitors. An excellent website is necessary but all the TDC needs is one with basic info with great photos, and a simple social media strategy. It is better left to private entities like the major bed tax collectors and web entrepreneurs like this site.

TDC money should be spent on preserving what we have and a good infrastructure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Looks like the logo for an OB/GYN.

19. 30aconcerned

30aconcerned Beach Lover

I don't think anyone was happy with the logo as presented at the BCC Meeting last night... Even the ones who voted for it. Also, everyone talks about preserving the quality of life that SoWal is rapidly losing and then all the TDC Bagby guy could talk about was building more "commuter"parking lots north of 30-A to "bus" in more tourists to the grossly overcrowded beaches. He was real proud about the huge increase of tourists to the beaches this year. I guess his incentive plan is based on that. You can't convince me that the TDC gives a damn about the quality of life in SoWal.

20. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

if you use the umbrella one,need to add a knife. Seems to be beach theme this year..good news hopefully major umbrella vendor rules coming soon to Sowal