• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
http://www.votenoflorida.org/default.aspx

1. Vote No On 2 because it Takes Away Benefits
Amendment 2 would take away important family protections, including health care insurance and hospital visitation from all unmarried Floridians. The Florida Legislature's own analysis warns that this amendment: "... could place (domestic partnerships) at risk of losing specified rights and benefits, such as those related to health insurance."

2. Vote No On 2 because it Hurts Seniors
Amendment 2 would hurt Florida's large senior population by taking away partnership rights of widowed seniors, like health care and end-of-life decision making. The AARP and Florida Alliance for Retired Americans have spoken out against these kinds of dangerous amendments.

3. Vote No On 2 because EVERY Major Florida Daily Newspaper is Opposed to Amendment 2 - Newspapers across the political spectrum whose editorial boards rarely agree on politics have come out strongly opposed to Amendment 2. (read them)

4. Vote No On 2 because Discrimination Doesn't Belong in the Florida Constitution
The constitution should protect all of us from government intrusion and discrimination. This amendment would embed discrimination against unmarried people into our state constitution for generations to come.

5. Vote No On 2 because Hurting Families Doesn't "Protect" Anyone's Marriage
Despite the name "Marriage Protection Amendment" this measure does NOTHING to help curb the divorce rate or strengthen marriage. It only scapegoats unmarried partners and strips them of vital health benefits.

6. Vote No On 2 because it Permits Massive Government Intrusion
Amendment 2 puts the government where it doesn't belong - regulating the personal relationships of Floridians. Government should not make it harder for people to take care of their loved ones.

7. Vote No On 2 and Avoid Hiring Expensive Lawyers
Amendment 2 could force unmarried Floridians to hire expensive private lawyers just to be able to see each other in the hospital.

8. Vote No On 2 because It's Already Hard Enough for Families
At a time of economic crisis the last thing we should do is put government-enforced obstacles, big legal fees and more red tape in the way of people getting access to vital health care and family protections.

9. Vote No On 2 because Florida is Better Than This
When Florida voters understand the real harm to real people the Amendment will cause, they will vote no. Everyday more and more Floridians are standing up to this divisive, harmful amendment. The Fairness for All Families' Vote No On 2 campaign consists of over 260 civic, faith, and social justice groups working together to protect Florida's families. Help spread the word. Volunteer and donate today.

10. Vote No On 2 because It Harms All of Us
People have already lost benefits in states that have passed similar measures. In Michigan, health insurance for domestic partners were repealed at every state university that offered them. In Kentucky, amendment backers had promised they were only "banning gay marriage". Now they are working to eliminate domestic partner benefits for state and university employees. In Ohio, justice for domestic violence victims was impeded because lower courts ruled that their "marriage" amendment" prohibited applying domestic violence laws to unmarried couples.

More here.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It is a hateful and unnecessary amendment.

I like #9- because I hope Florida can show me it IS better than this.

God has nothing to do with this amendment. :yikes: God would be alot stricter. :D This is about maintaining a institution that is a basic building block of civilized society. Nothing more or less.

I really love "every major newspaper is against it" that would seal my yes vote even if I knew nothing about it.:lol:

fair&biased

Beach Crab
Oct 27, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Stop trying to force everyone to accept your alternative lifestyle. No one really cares about your personal life, so keep it out of ours. This isn't an issue about money or benefits, if you are so concerned about all of that then you would vote Republican because we have realistic views on free markets that produce jobs which create capital and supply benefits to people. This is about breaking down America's Judeo-Christian values that we were founded on and turning them into your beloved Marxist dream. If you really want to be married, do a civil union and call it a wedding.