• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The importance for our society to define marriage as one man one woman is incalculable. The failure to pass this amendment opens the door to all sorts of other "unions" that society has always considered as harmful to the group as a whole. Once you open the door, you cannot stop any of them. I have no problem with contracts and power of attorney between whomever, but marriage must be reserved for one man- one woman.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The importance for our society to define marriage as one man one woman is incalculable. The failure to pass this amendment opens the door to all sorts of other "unions" that society has always considered as harmful to the group as a whole. Once you open the door, you cannot stop any of them. I have no problem with contracts and power of attorney between whomever, but marriage must be reserved for one man- one woman.

Actually this amendment seeks to nulify contracts and powers of attorney. It will affect more than just gay people. Have you actually read the amendment?

Oh and the argument that it leads to other types of marriage is bogus. Of course that same argument was used when the right for white and african american people to marry was an issue.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

Copying & pasting my response to you from another thread:

[ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showpost.php?p=493025&postcount=63"]SoWal Beaches Forum - View Single Post - Progressive Conservatives[/ame]

I have to respectfully disagree back. The whole "If you open the door" argument is not feasible, in my opinion. Marginalizing gay marriage out of fear that suddenly sisters and brothers will be marrying is just that: fear.

That was probably the argument in keeping interracial marriages illegal also. All kinds of chaos would happen when you allow blacks & whites to marry. Decades later, is it such a big deal at all? Nope, except for those who still have the tendency to have racist thoughts and values. IMO, the same thing will happen if the ban on gay marriage is removed. Gay marriage will be a non-issue, except to those still harbouring homophobic values.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
That is not my interpretation of the ammendment. The lack of the amendment will open the door to things that no civilized person wants. The simple truth is that the amendment preserves the status quo. Things have worked out pretty good for our society so far so the status quo is good.:clap:

Thing is, your interpretation and my interpretation of the amendment doesn't matter. It's the court's interpretation that matters and state supreme courts in multiple other states have said exactly that similar wording as the Florida proposal did indeed invalidate domestic partnership and benefits agreements among straight couples as well as gay couples.

As far as the failure of the amendment ending civilization as we know it, hey, we hold the Greeks up as one of the great civilizations of ancient times and look where they differed from what many people today think of as traditional family values.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Actually this amendment seeks to nulify contracts and powers of attorney. It will affect more than just gay people. Have you actually read the amendment?

Oh and the argument that it leads to other types of marriage is bogus. Of course that same argument was used when the right for white and african american people to marry was an issue.

It affects a whole lot more than just gay people. There was a discussion on NPR 2 weeks ago about it. Here's another link to who it will affect:

http://www.knowmyrights.org/index.p...=21:amendments-rights-and-liberties&Itemid=21

Last edited: