• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beach Princess

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Here, There and Everywhere
I understand that there is a seperation of Church and State, but why am I forced to cast my vote in a church merely because it will facilitate the masses?
I find it to be insulting and against the basic foundation of seperation of Church and State.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

:dunno:

This is merely my thoughts and opinions- would love feedback!
:bang::trainwreck:

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I understand that there is a seperation of Church and State, but when I am forced to cast my vote in a church (merely because it will facilitate the masses), I find it to be insulting and against the basic foundation of seperation of Church and State.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

:dunno:

What State are you talking about that does that?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I've never voted in a church sanctuary, but I've voted at a church school auditorium and on church property. Never walked past a pew to cast a ballot though.

I'm sure it's a matter of practicality. Where else would you suggest precincts be set up? Not on commerical property. Not in residences. There aren't enough recreational facilities or libraries to hold the number of people who have registered to vote. Churches are generally empty on Tuesdays ... this does not seem like a religious conspiracy to me. Just common sense.

Beach Princess

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
I live in the great state of FLORIDA but I must cast my vote at a religious facility. That is where I am told to go. I am proud to cast my vote but I find that casting my vote in a religious facility to be against the seperation of Church and State. If my children cannot pray in public schools, why should I be asked to vote in a church- no matter religious affiliation.

Last edited:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I've never voted in a church sanctuary, but I've voted at a church school auditorium and on church property. Never walked past a pew to cast a ballot though.

I'm sure it's a matter of practicality. Where else would you suggest precincts be set up? Not on commerical property. Not in residences. There aren't enough recreational facilities or libraries to hold the number of people who have registered to vote. Churches are generally empty on Tuesdays ... this does not seem like a religious conspiracy to me. Just common sense.
I work part time for a very large Methodist church and everything you stated is the exact reasoning. Church facilities have been used for community service for hundred's of years.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
My precinct (as well as quite a few others around here) is in a church gym, but others are in the Civic Center, a conference center, and wherever they can put them. I have known schools to shut down on election day because of the need for space, which I think is ridiculous.

I've always thought that churches and schools should share buildings, since one is only open on evenings and Sundays and the other is hardly ever open on evenings and Sundays. Church and State are institutions; sanctuaries and polling places are merely structures.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I live in the great state of FLORIDA but I must cast my vote at a religious facility. That is where I am told to go. I am proud to cast my vote but I find that casting my vote in a religious facility to be against the seperation of Church and State. If my children cannot pray in public schools, why should I be asked to vote in a church- no matter religious affiliation.

Then I would suggest you do a bit more study of the elections laws in the great state of FLORIDA. Because in FLORIDA you also have the OPTION of early voting which takes place in government facilities as well as voting by mail with the request of an absentee ballot. This would allow you to complete your civic duty from the comfort of your HOME. So no one is FORCING you to vote in a religious facility of any sort. You OPTED to vote in the religious facility.

Beach Princess

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Then I would suggest you do a bit more study of the elections laws in the great state of FLORIDA. Because in FLORIDA you also have the OPTION of early voting which takes place in government facilities as well as voting by mail with the request of an absentee ballot. This would allow you to complete your civic duty from the comfort of your HOME. So no one is FORCING you to vote in a religious facility of any sort. You OPTED to vote in the religious facility.
Excellent point, Walton GOP! I, unfortunately, missed the the opportunity to vote (GOP, by the way!) due to lack of notification (no pre-announcement as I received in my precious state- which sucked!). I heard two days ago (01/27) about the pre-voting but was unable to do so...I just feel that perhaps a voting place such as a school or a non-affiliated property would be more condusive (sp?) to the situation- not in a religious atomosphere.:dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Excellent point, Walton GOP! I, unfortunately, missed the the opportunity to vote (GOP, by the way!) due to lack of notification (no pre-announcement as I received in my precious state- which sucked!). I heard two days ago (01/27) about the pre-voting but was unable to do so...I just feel that perhaps a voting place such as a school or a non-affiliated property would be more condusive (sp?) to the situation- not in a religious atomosphere.:dunno:

I am without words on this one. And that, my friend, is a feat. Just ask ShallowsNole. You are to be congratulated.