• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Just curious if there are ever any accidents on pathways between walkers and bikers. Just came back from visiting our place and an avid walker but darned if I didn't get surprised on several occasions by bikers coming up from behind, unannounced. I love when they yell loudly what side their approaching from, so I can move over for them. I worry sometime I will get hit because I didn't hear them and move the wrong way!

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Yes it hapens all the time. It can be chaos with skaters, golf carts, etc. A big problem is kids being free and riding fast and crazy all over the path and the roads... and adults who haven't ridden a bike in years is also a problem. I've seen them ride right in front of cars like they forgot how to brake. Funny and not so funny is when they just fall over for no reason.

Riders should warn people when they are approaching from behind for sure.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
Be careful walking on the sidewalk/path between Seaside & Watercolor when it starts getting dark outside. So many kids/teens riding their bikes, without lights, on the sidewalk. Someone's going to get hurt one day.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
The only place I have been hit by a car is on the bike path. I been ridden off the rode a few times by cars and suffice it to say this is a dangerous place for cyclists. People are ignorant of bike laws, cyclists and tourons alike, but drivers here suck for road riders. They just don't like them. All of 30A needs a dedicated bike lane along with the path which in Seagrove is more of a construction workers free parking zone than hike bike path. It's no good for road bikes since it's full of rocks, glass,sand, cracks and holes and cars and trucks. Or even worse allow to be a loading zone for businesses. This path here is a bad compared to the rest of the Country. So that's why they ride on the road and annoy those who don't bike.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
There is just no room for "real" bikers on Scenic 30A. I'm patient and don't mind the bikers riding on the road but still there have been some hairy situations that made me so nervous, on curves, with oncoming cars oblivious to where they are going, etc... Recently, a "rude" biker was in the middle of the lane forcing me to go far around but I was afraid he wouldn't see me so I did a quick honk and I got a big middle finger. I guess a warning honk doesn't sound friendly but trying to let him know I was there.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
Most of the bikers are faster than golf carts at least.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
It was my understanding that "Real Bikers" were to be on the roads, not on the path for walkers and casual bikers. The ones I've almost been hit by are the real bikers that think their in the Tour de France. When we have said something, we got cursed at. Sounds like to solve this problem, there should be a fast biker path only. That way they don't run anyone over and don't get hit themselves by cars!

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
The solution is for 30a to have a 3' paved shoulder on each side. Then the fast bikers can ride on the roads without disrupting traffic or causing issues on the slower speed multi-use path. This is not a new idea, they are the norm on roads all over the US.

IMO the biggest problem is idiot drivers impatiently veering around road bikers. Far too many near miss head-on car collisions because they are so focused on passing the biker that they don't even look for oncoming traffic! And you don't have to drive completely into the other lane to pass a biker!

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We take the back routes around Seaside and Watercolor to avoid most of the busy 30A stretch. Early morning is the only time we go straight from Seaside west or east. Fun to explore the other areas anyway:) It's bad everywhere. Here in Louisville, we live in a community that allows golf carts - for now - but some kids are driving late at night and parents think it's fun to let their 10 year olds drive. Also, cars driving fast. Not stopping at stop signs. It's everywhere. So sad. See you in 45 days and again and again.... 3 times this year. What have I done? Ellen