• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They are talking about the dangers of Rip Currents at the Beach, in particular, the beaches of Walton Co, which has had many deaths from rip currents.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Well, poot! They forgot about sharks, red tide, yellow flies, crowded aisles at the Publix and kids gone wild on golf carts? Someone will lose their job today!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
Well, poot! They forgot about sharks, red tide, yellow flies, crowded aisles at the Publix and kids gone wild on golf carts? Someone will lose their job today!
It was a general warning regarding how to escape rip currents, but they had a reporter here interviewing people.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:blush: ...oops, sorry...not in the lounge I see.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Smiling JOe said:
They are talking about the dangers of Rip Currents at the Beach, in particular, the beaches of Walton Co, which has had many deaths from rip currents.

Ugh, I saw it this morning. They must have said "Walton County" about 10 times, as if we should be listed under "World's Most Dangerous Beaches".

Thank you but I will take our sharks and rip currents over the e-coli and medical waste covered beaches in New Jersey anyday.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I didn't see the show but I hope they balanced the story out by mentioning the flag system on the beach that warns people when the water's not suitable for swimming. AND the signs showing pictures of the rip currents and what to do if you're caught in one?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mermaid, no balance there. I think they are just looking for a follow up to their storys of Black Sunday last year, regarding the lack of lifeguards. Here are a few stories when I searched GMA's website for Rip Currents.

I think the piece was not so much a negative spin as it was informative regarding the dangers of the water and rip currents. They failed to mention the flag system & the signs warning of rip currents and how to escape. They did mention that since we have stationed the lifeguards in WalCo, there have been no drownings in the Gulf in WalCo, and there have been 8 rescues. They did note that the lifeguards are stationed covering only one mile of the 27 mile stretch of beaches. (it is 27 miles isn't it?:dunno:)

The more people see these types of stories, the more they may respect the potentially deadly waters. Especially, with everyone heading to the beaches this weekend, this story may save several lives.

Reliford

Beach Lover
Jan 25, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Smiling JOe said:
The more people see these types of stories, the more they may respect the potentially deadly waters. Especially, with everyone heading to the beaches this weekend, this story may save several lives.

:bow: excellent point