Walton Co on Good Morning America

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Santa Rosa Pete

Santa Rosa Pete Beach Comber

Sarcasm, hmmmm. Funny you would take my comments as sarcastic. I meant 'em in all by-God seriousness.

See what being sentenced up North will do to ya? Have fun and be sure to buy some of that outdated, stale Salt Water Taffy that draws millions to the Jersey shore each year. Just be sure not to catch a splinter on the crowded boardwalks.

By the way, the Corona's smooth and cool, no choking here. Mmmmm ... this burp's for you, UTBM!

2. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I've never been to a beach in Jersey. I was just curious about the reputation of it, and remembered the needle incindents. I bet I could have some funn there.

3. Santa Rosa Pete

Santa Rosa Pete Beach Comber

Kurt:

Perhaps you've been to a Jersey beach but mistook it for a landfill. Both have seagulls, you know.

4. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Mr. Mango and I own property in SoWal AND Long Beach Island New Jersey, a barrier island off the Mainland, with NO boardwalks, no hotels on the beaches, beautiful dunes with seagrasses, lighthouses, pelicans A starter house there is about $750K and its not even new. Most of the older houses have been knocked down and rebuilt. The real estate values in LBI have NOt dropped any and there no supply.
    Pete, I am going to have to show you some beautiful pictures of dolphins riding the waves on the green blue water, beautiful sunsets, the baby humpback whale coming in who was curious. No medical waste here. Matter of fact we see dolphins every day down in LBI, more than I have seen in SoWal. There are good restaurants that use the fresh catch of the day from the fishing boats that make a living off the Atlantic coast.

Kurt was corrrect that some of the beaches were an issue in the 70's but that has changed drastically.

We can't say that we like one beach better than the other, they are just different. We are used to be able to ride our boogie or surf boards because there are waves. We enjoy the cooler water, and to us swimming in 85 degree water on a very hot day is not that refreshing.

Rumors about toxic waste are highly exaggerated. You can hardly notice the third arm growing out my back! :funn:

5. goofer

goofer Beach Fanatic

I have been to Spring Lake and Cape May both in New Jersey. Great towns with FABULOUS restaurants and lots to do BUT the beaches are just ok. Otherwise, there are lots of things to do AND you are very close to Manhattan ( maybe 1 1/2 hours from Spring Lake by car.....much further to Cape May ) There is also passenger rail service to Manhattan's Penn Station from the Jersey Shore.
    The Hamptons on Long Island are a different story. Great beaches and gigantic dunes......very pristine. Very snooty and EXTREMELY expensive but it is a world class destination. And just 80 miles to midtown Manhattan by either train, jitney or auto (better to take the train b/c the Long Island Expressway is a parking lot ) and within an hour and a half to two international airports and less than an hour to Macarthur Airport (Southwest Air destination ). All in all though, I have to give the grand prize to South Walton in over all delightful beach communities!!! Great people, great restaurants and oh those beaches !! But each beach community has their own draw and special charm.

6. Uncle Timmy

Uncle Timmy Beach Fanatic

Hmmm,

Look what I started. Next time I'll post a legal disclaimer.*

*Opinions expressed are intended for entertainment purposes only and do not represent any implied or real malicious intent. Poster assumes no liability and/or responsiblity of harm incurred by individuals/corporations/governments or other entities. Poster is not a Florida licenced realtor.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I think the west coast beaches are too cold?

7. goin' coastal

goin' coastal Beach Lover

My 85 year old mother-in-law lives on Long Island. She is no longer able to travel. I have looked for a nice place to rent for a short stay for our family on the Island. Oh my goodness, people think sowal is expensive. And most of the homes are OLD!! At least in sowal you can rent a beautiful home and so many choices. Many of the homes in the Hamptons rent for the entire season. I have only been to Jones Beach on the island. Any suggestions?????? We have a place in sowal,she has never seen. Wish she was able to travel.

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

another thread gone to pot. :sosad:

9. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

:lol: :lol: Shame on you!!!:funn: :funn:
    I have one comment...and it is founded because I grew up going here....MYRTLE BEACH:blink: Jersey Shore, I am sure, is better than this place. All though MB is a fun place to take the kids...it is not a very pleasant beach, not particuralry pretty nor is it clean at all....:roll: The word riff raff comes to mind....:sosad: The water is dirty, the tourists are non caring (mostly) and no one cares about the environment!!!!!(not even the residents...they only care about the almighty BUCK!) Count your blessings if your "beach" is better than MB!!

10. goin' coastal

goin' coastal Beach Lover

:dunno:

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

This thread was not started to talk about the beaches of New Jersey, though it has quickly drifted toward that focus. If you want to defend or discuss the beaches of New Jersey, please start a thread in the lounge. As a courtesy to the thread starter and other readers please stick to the topic of the thread. Think about how frustrating it must be for a newcomer to sort through the numerous thread title, only to find out that they are not about the title at all.

12. Cork On the Ocean

Cork On the Ocean directionally challenged

For me, it's the tone of the thread more than anything. Why can't we be friends :dunno:

13. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

I can't tell you how many times I have seen threads shift on topic and it's regular posters. ;-)
    I think the point here was that some people interpreted the GMA show as being slanted, but the reality is that it was just was showing people the danger of rip currents and may have helped someone.
    if you saw anyone defending beaches, it's because it was called for due to the sarcastic tone on the thread that inferred SoWal is the best beach in the world, and frankly I and others had to say something and I think I said it nicely.

If you have a problem with someone on this Board- just spit it out because this is the second time I have seen you monitor posts that took a slight turn.
    One really upset me that was related to a tragedy. In my opinion those posts should have been removed, but there is such a concept in this country as freedom of speech.

There- got it off my back. Now on to the lounge for some lighthearted FUNN.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Mango, I am not picking on you in particular. My note is referring to all posters from post number 12 -28. Please by all means defend yourself, but you can do it by making note linking to the new thread so that the current thread stays on topic. Yes, I too, am guilty :oops: of sending threads to crap and if you point out my error when I do so, I will kindly listen.

Now, back to the dangers of Rip Currents at the beach...

15. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

OK, we have a pact ;-) We could just do this :banging:

16. Hu Phlung Pu

Hu Phlung Pu Beach Comber

17. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

18. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Please do not point out all MY errors or your computer will explode.

19. Underthebluemoon

Underthebluemoon Beach Lover

I'm sorry. I didn't know there were specific "rules" to posting on this website. What a joke. You actually get MAD at people who post???????????????????????????????????????

That is so so so ridiculous. Perhaps when the person who wrote untruths about beaches that I visit, saying they have ecoli and needles all over them, instead of reading and responding intelligently, I should have gone and done what apparently is mandatory and visited the "lounge" to complain. How absolutely ridiculous is that? And then to have some goof insult me for intelligently writing to disagree, that's freaking fabulous!!!

I just thank heavens that the experience of actually VISITING the Sowal area for my family and myself was sooooooo friendly and warm. My experience on this site has been anything but friendly and warm. With a few exceptions, this is by far the snootiest, clickiest, most full-of-itself site I have EVER been to. I am so glad that I don't have to name drop when I hang with other members of a website as though they were some kind of celebrity to make myself important. I'll make and keep my friends the old fashioned way: face to face.

Kurt, will you PLEASE remove my screen name from this site so that I can be assured that I will never be tempted to post on here again.

20. 30gAy

30gAy Beach Fanatic

Prozac alert:oops: