• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Santa Rosa Pete

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2005
ATL & SRB
Sarcasm, hmmmm. Funny you would take my comments as sarcastic. I meant 'em in all by-God seriousness.

See what being sentenced up North will do to ya? Have fun and be sure to buy some of that outdated, stale Salt Water Taffy that draws millions to the Jersey shore each year. Just be sure not to catch a splinter on the crowded boardwalks.

By the way, the Corona's smooth and cool, no choking here. Mmmmm ... this burp's for you, UTBM!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I've never been to a beach in Jersey. I was just curious about the reputation of it, and remembered the needle incindents. I bet I could have some funn there.

Santa Rosa Pete

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2005
ATL & SRB
Kurt:

Perhaps you've been to a Jersey beach but mistook it for a landfill. Both have seagulls, you know.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Underthebluemoon said:
:pissed: That is not a fair representation of New Jersey's beaches at all. We visit there occasionally as we live about three hours West, and there is nothing wrong with MOST of the New Jersey beaches, they're just different.

Mr. Mango and I own property in SoWal AND Long Beach Island New Jersey, a barrier island off the Mainland, with NO boardwalks, no hotels on the beaches, beautiful dunes with seagrasses, lighthouses, pelicans A starter house there is about $750K and its not even new. Most of the older houses have been knocked down and rebuilt. The real estate values in LBI have NOt dropped any and there no supply.
Pete, I am going to have to show you some beautiful pictures of dolphins riding the waves on the green blue water, beautiful sunsets, the baby humpback whale coming in who was curious. No medical waste here. Matter of fact we see dolphins every day down in LBI, more than I have seen in SoWal. There are good restaurants that use the fresh catch of the day from the fishing boats that make a living off the Atlantic coast.

Kurt was corrrect that some of the beaches were an issue in the 70's but that has changed drastically.

We can't say that we like one beach better than the other, they are just different. We are used to be able to ride our boogie or surf boards because there are waves. We enjoy the cooler water, and to us swimming in 85 degree water on a very hot day is not that refreshing.

Rumors about toxic waste are highly exaggerated. You can hardly notice the third arm growing out my back! :funn:

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I have been to Spring Lake and Cape May both in New Jersey. Great towns with FABULOUS restaurants and lots to do BUT the beaches are just ok. Otherwise, there are lots of things to do AND you are very close to Manhattan ( maybe 1 1/2 hours from Spring Lake by car.....much further to Cape May ) There is also passenger rail service to Manhattan's Penn Station from the Jersey Shore.
The Hamptons on Long Island are a different story. Great beaches and gigantic dunes......very pristine. Very snooty and EXTREMELY expensive but it is a world class destination. And just 80 miles to midtown Manhattan by either train, jitney or auto (better to take the train b/c the Long Island Expressway is a parking lot ) and within an hour and a half to two international airports and less than an hour to Macarthur Airport (Southwest Air destination ). All in all though, I have to give the grand prize to South Walton in over all delightful beach communities!!! Great people, great restaurants and oh those beaches !! But each beach community has their own draw and special charm.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Hmmm,

Look what I started. Next time I'll post a legal disclaimer.*

*Opinions expressed are intended for entertainment purposes only and do not represent any implied or real malicious intent. Poster assumes no liability and/or responsiblity of harm incurred by individuals/corporations/governments or other entities. Poster is not a Florida licenced realtor.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I think the west coast beaches are too cold?

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
goofer44 said:
I have been to Spring Lake and Cape May both in New Jersey. Great towns with FABULOUS restaurants and lots to do BUT the beaches are just ok. Otherwise, there are lots of things to do AND you are very close to Manhattan ( maybe 1 1/2 hours from Spring Lake by car.....much further to Cape May ) There is also passenger rail service to Manhattan's Penn Station from the Jersey Shore.
The Hamptons on Long Island are a different story. Great beaches and gigantic dunes......very pristine. Very snooty and EXTREMELY expensive but it is a world class destination. And just 80 miles to midtown Manhattan by either train, jitney or auto (better to take the train b/c the Long Island Expressway is a parking lot ) and within an hour and a half to two international airports and less than an hour to Macarthur Airport (Southwest Air destination ). All in all though, I have to give the grand prize to South Walton in over all delightful beach communities!!! Great people, great restaurants and oh those beaches !! But each beach community has their own draw and special charm.

My 85 year old mother-in-law lives on Long Island. She is no longer able to travel. I have looked for a nice place to rent for a short stay for our family on the Island. Oh my goodness, people think sowal is expensive. And most of the homes are OLD!! At least in sowal you can rent a beautiful home and so many choices. Many of the homes in the Hamptons rent for the entire season. I have only been to Jones Beach on the island. Any suggestions?????? We have a place in sowal,she has never seen. Wish she was able to travel.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
twt512 said:
Hmmm,

Look what I started. Next time I'll post a legal disclaimer.*

*Opinions expressed are intended for entertainment purposes only and do not represent any implied or real malicious intent. Poster assumes no liability and/or responsiblity of harm incurred by individuals/corporations/governments or other entities. Poster is not a Florida licenced realtor.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I think the west coast beaches are too cold?
:lol: :lol: Shame on you!!!:funn: :funn:
I have one comment...and it is founded because I grew up going here....MYRTLE BEACH:blink: Jersey Shore, I am sure, is better than this place. All though MB is a fun place to take the kids...it is not a very pleasant beach, not particuralry pretty nor is it clean at all....:roll: The word riff raff comes to mind....:sosad: The water is dirty, the tourists are non caring (mostly) and no one cares about the environment!!!!!(not even the residents...they only care about the almighty BUCK!) Count your blessings if your "beach" is better than MB!!