• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I totally forgot. I've been lazy because I'm used to being reminded of things like this....

My question -- are all members of the board up for re-election this year? Do they all have challengers?

Was Mildred the lady wearing red last time?

No, that would have been Sharon Roberts. SoWal put her in office two years ago.

I didn't forget the meeting, but was unfortunately tied up one block over until waaaaaaay after closing today. I hated missing it, but kudos to jdarg for a great report!

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
BTW, who is Midred Wilkerson? School board, parent, teacher, clergy, or ???

Mrs. Wilkerson is a second term member of the School Board. You can find out more information about her here.
http://www.voterfocus.com/ws/WScand/candidate_pr.php?op=cv&e=6&c=walton&ca=80&rellevel=4&committee=N

I thought she taugh science, but I really do not remember. She has prequalified for re-election and would be considered my opponent since I am seeking to represent the same district. She is the District 1 representative, meaning she does represent the area mostly east of 331 in sowal except for around the west side of eastern lake and close to the gulf. Her district boundary is the same as Scott Brannon's.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Mrs. Wilkerson is a very nice woman and IMO has done a lot for the education system in this county. More often than not, she is the one to bring the issues that most affect the students to the forefront for discussion.

She is serious about education and has devoted her life to it--she is probably just as serious about her faith, which probably accounts for her comment tonight.

This is not meant to be any kind of endorsement for her; rather, a statement that I have a lot of respect for her. She has accomplished a lot, and it was not always an easy path for her.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
What surprised me is the low turnout. And this is when something as important as a new school is being built in sowal. Tonight was the night to give them an idea of anything that may have been wanted for that new school. I guess things are not near as bad at ECMS as I had heard.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
WaltonGOP-

A couple of questions:

1-The mapping app at the WalCo web site shows the boundary between District 5 and District 1 as 395, with a short jog to the east at the 395/30A intersection that looks like it might take in beachfront properties down to about Seagrove Villas. I don't see any boundaries near Eastern Lake, as you indicate. Could you clarify?

2-I followed your link to www.voterfocus.com for Mrs. Wilkerson. But when I tried to come in to the top level/home page, it wanted my username and password. Is it a membership site?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Mrs. Wilkerson is a very nice woman and IMO has done a lot for the education system in this county. More often than not, she is the one to bring the issues that most affect the students to the forefront for discussion.

She is serious about education and has devoted her life to it--she is probably just as serious about her faith, which probably accounts for her comment tonight.

This is not meant to be any kind of endorsement for her; rather, a statement that I have a lot of respect for her. She has accomplished a lot, and it was not always an easy path for her.

Thanks for your info on Mrs. Wilkerson. I didn't attack her personally, I just indicated that we at the TreeFrog house don't feel that she speaks for everyone in the community when she speaks out against teaching evolution.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for your info on Mrs. Wilkerson. I didn't attack her personally, I just indicated that we at the TreeFrog house don't feel that she speaks for everyone in the community when she speaks out against teaching evolution.

Yes, thanks Goodwitch. I had always heard wonderful things about her, and I am still thankful for her vote to keep Blithe Spirit in the WCSD curriculum. It was just such a shocker and unfortunate that her words were so forceful on such a controversial subject.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

TreeFrog: You are welcome. I did not think you did. And, in fact, I completely disagree with her stand on this issue; and she does not speak for my household either.

I just wanted it on the record that the woman has a history of doing good things for education in some pretty tough situations. Sometimes this Board can get carried away without all the information (sometimes I can get carried away with all the information:blush:).

So, I just wanted to say that while that comment may have been off the wall, I'd like to see it put into the context of her overall contribution to our area.

I was not responding to your comment specifically.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
WaltonGOP-

A couple of questions:

1-The mapping app at the WalCo web site shows the boundary between District 5 and District 1 as 395, with a short jog to the east at the 395/30A intersection that looks like it might take in beachfront properties down to about Seagrove Villas. I don't see any boundaries near Eastern Lake, as you indicate. Could you clarify?

2-I followed your link to www.voterfocus.com for Mrs. Wilkerson. But when I tried to come in to the top level/home page, it wanted my username and password. Is it a membership site?

1-Let me look at a district boundary map later today and get back to you. I am speaking from memory and not sure which is correct but I will find out.

2-The voter focus site is an external site the SOE uses. It probably does require a login for certain parts. Start at www.votewaltoncounty.com and it is in the candidate information. You have to choose the Primary for 2008 and then the candidate pages. It is a bit complex if you ask me, I always seem to have trouble finding the page.