• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007
"Sharon Roberts and Darrell Barnhill dissenting"

Does anybody know when these two are up for re-election.
HOPEFULLY 2008!

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
It sounds to me as if Mr. Ewing has made his position very clear. He maintains that neither the school board nor parents can tell him what he can or can't allow, and he will not allow any play with any adult theme to be presented.

I think the safe conclusion would be that if you want your children to be able to explore these themes, you must provide another outlet for them, since the schools will not allow it. We are fortunate in this community to have such outlets.

It is sad to see public schools, which have the potential to be the center of the community, reduced to nothing more than a place where kids go to get a piece of paper that says they have attended and passed the tests.

Kase626

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2007
Seacrest Beach
Personally that is not a threat. You just have a problem with people you have different oppions than yourself. Also some other things that surprised me was that the thespian president did not even defend her troupe and something even more surprising the drama teacher did not defend his department. I mean even Jake Lehman defended his size. I think it is time that the drama department stepped up to the plate.

As the Vice President of the Thespian Society, my speech was on their behalf, as well as anyone else involved in the Drama department. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time for everyone to express our opinions, so we had to condense a bit. Our president is a GREAT leader, and no one has any right to say otherwise. Our drama teacher DID want to speak, but the administration advised him against it.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
"Sharon Roberts and Darrell Barnhill dissenting"

Does anybody know when these two are up for re-election.
HOPEFULLY 2008!

Three more years.

Also note that these two are the board members that the voters of SoWal put in office. Darrell Barnhill is the board member representing the schools south of the bay, and was the better of choices we had to pick from in the last election. Sharon Roberts represents the DeFuniak area. However, she grew up in SoWal, she used to work at ECMS and she won her election by a landslide, defeating two other older, well-seasoned candidates, partly due to the endorsement of the Emerald Coast Board of Realtors. Very few people in DeFuniak Springs actually know her, as she has historically worked in the SoWal schools and spent her weekends with her parents. I do know her, and I will not speak ill of her.

However, this does make twice now I haven't agreed with her decision about something. ;-)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
btw, I nominate jdarg to run for school board in 2010. :cool:

You are nuttier than a fruitcake.

I don't know how those people sat on that stage last night and maintained a straight face through some of the "performances". I think that is a talent one must have to be on any board!

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
CAUTION Ahead! Boring Rhetoric Crossing ;-)

Last week I watched the movie PAPERCLIPS (movie documentary of a years long Student Holocaust Project -- promoting Tolerance). A powerfully presented message made EVEN MORE thought provoking because I'd just finished reading INFIDEL -- Ayaan Hirsi Ali's memoir of growing up Muslim in the modern era (and ultimately seeking REFUGE from the oppression).

Both advocate tolerance...while simultaneously cautioning against becoming enslaved to sheep-over-the-cliff political correctness.

For me, Analyzing these two works (Hitler Era vs. 'Modern' Era Fundamentalism) back-to-back ... alongside this local Blithe Spirit controversy ... has proven to be a Worthwhile Educational & Thought Provoking Comparison to say the least.

What choice...what slant...what perspective?
To Fight FOR something?
To Fight AGAINST something?
Fight or FLight?

The RIGHT to FREEDOM of SPEECH (for all perspectives) maybe the only thing worth "fighting" FOR.

Thoughts...Discussion...Feedback...Anyone?

Of course one first requires the FREEDOM and ACCESS to read, see, hear, think, question, compare, evaluate & experience a wide range of matter in order to express thoughtfully, eh? :wave:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Three more years.

Also note that these two are the board members that the voters of SoWal put in office. Darrell Barnhill is the board member representing the schools south of the bay, and was the better of choices we had to pick from in the last election. Sharon Roberts represents the DeFuniak area. However, she grew up in SoWal, she used to work at ECMS and she won her election by a landslide, defeating two other older, well-seasoned candidates, partly due to the endorsement of the Emerald Coast Board of Realtors. Very few people in DeFuniak Springs actually know her, as she has historically worked in the SoWal schools and spent her weekends with her parents. I do know her, and I will not speak ill of her.

However, this does make twice now I haven't agreed with her decision about something. ;-)

Here's the good news...education/knowledge is power. Sometimes we are forced to get to "know" those we are dealing with in civic politics because of hot topic situations. As long as the wheels are turning smoothly, we can go about our daily business. Now, just like back when people needed to get to know the members of the BCC, the school board is on notice...they have been noticed. Remember...it's business as usual, until someone either rocks the boat or questions a policy. Walton County politics/politicians should be on notice...people are watching, learning and will vote accordingly. I also might add that I see SoWal.com becoming the place to get information...there is no "going back". I won't even get started on this "Christian" vibe permeating this thread.