• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007
Re: Miss Kitty AND Dune-AHH:

What I saw was the School Board APPROVE the play to be taught AS IS left INTACT in the School CURRICULUM! Then I heard the Principal and the School Administrator say they would NOT abide by that ruling.

Period.

truethespian09

Beach Comber
Nov 14, 2007
I really dont think you all should be focusing on the use of grammar in a discussion forum. This is not a formal essay. That is not what this is about. And by the way i scored a 6 on my FCAT writing which is the highest you can recieve and there were only 10 students out of my entire class. I think that says a lot about my writing skills.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I really dont think you all should be focusing on the use of grammar in a discussion forum. This is not a formal essay. That is not what this is about. And by the way i scored a 6 on my FCAT writing which is the highest you can recieve and there were only 10 students out of my entire class. I think that says a lot about my writing skills.

No, unfortunately, that says a lot about low expectations...teaching tests, and the absence of "critical thinking skills" in today's students in this area--not just Walton County, but much of Florida.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

An FCAT writing score means absolutely nothing, unless you are the government, school administrator, or teacher- all who are concerned about their funding based on the scores. I have seen top-scoring standardized test writing samples that I would have guessed were written by a 10 year old. I hope you have a lot more to put on your resume other than your FCAT score.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington

Honestly, I'm greatly relieved to see that you are capable of writing so well. And I also want to apologize, I didn't realize that you are a child.

But remember, every rule has an exception, and for I before E except after C the exception is receive. I always had trouble with that word until I learned that line.

Kase626

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2007
Seacrest Beach
No, unfortunately, that says a lot about low expectations...teaching tests, and the absence of "critical thinking skills" in today's students in this area--not just Walton County, but much of Florida.

Goodwitch, I wish you could sit through an underclassmen English class in SWHS. Everything revolves around FCAT writing. Although it goes back even farther. I've seen it in the middle school. They've changed the typical writing format to accomodate the FCAT. After many students leave high school, they are unfamiliar with proper writing formats because they have been taught FCAT standards their whole life.

Although that goes for every subject. Most teachers are only teaching material if it's on the FCAT. It's sad, to say the least.

But I guess this topic is for another thread.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Goodwitch, I wish you could sit through an underclassmen English class in SWHS. Everything revolves around FCAT writing. Although it goes back even farther. I've seen it in the middle school. They've changed the typical writing format to accomodate the FCAT. After many students leave high school, they are unfamiliar with proper writing formats because they have been taught FCAT standards their whole life.

Although that goes for every subject. Most teachers are only teaching material if it's on the FCAT. It's sad, to say the least.

But I guess this topic is for another thread.

And I think the thread should be entitled Did you know they don't teach the theory of evolution in Walton County Public Schools? Someone else start it, though...I don't want to be a poo-stirrer. :wave:

jollyroger

Beach Comber
Jan 5, 2007
SoWal
Personally that is not a threat. You just have a problem with people you have different oppions than yourself. Also some other things that surprised me was that the thespian president did not even defend her troupe and something even more surprising the drama teacher did not defend his department. I mean even Jake Lehman defended his size. I think it is time that the drama department stepped up to the plate. And i was at the same meeting so apparently you were not paying attention to the superintendent when she made her comment and when ewing made his. But, yes i do agree with the people you critized ewing. He really does need a slap upside the head...im just saying.

who spells "opinion" "oppinion"? honestly...

Darg Vader

master of the darg side
Jan 29, 2006
Dargin it up somewhere

I think that it really speaks for your gullibility. What reasonable person determines their intelligence by an FCAT score?