• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think that it really speaks for your gullibility. What reasonable person determines their intelligence by an FCAT score?

Enough said. Test scores will only get you so far in life.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Re: Miss Kitty AND Dune-AHH:

What I saw was the School Board APPROVE the play to be taught AS IS left INTACT in the School CURRICULUM! Then I heard the Principal and the School Administrator say they would NOT abide by that ruling.

Period.

That would pretty much cover being PC, correct obviously they watched the trial scene from Miracle on 34th Street. The school board who is elected pass the ruling to allow the play knowing that the Principle would over ride that by stating that due to certain content the play would not be presented as it. So basically they provide a win/win situation, or a lose/lose situation depending on how you view it.

As to truethespian09, I would gather this young person will graduate HS in 09. :wave:

I would say that based on situations similar to this that I was involved in over the years, be sure to know your board members and their names prior to the battle.

Good luck to all.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
WWJC - Who Would Jesus Censor?

The Jesus that I know would have been huddled in the corner either laughing his butt off or quivering in horror.

I have in my possession an e-mail sent out from the Lehmans (the challengers) to the Village Baptist Church members. I am not kidding when I tell y'all it is one of the most disturbing messages I have ever seen. Apparently it is circulating around the Christian community here (by Christian community, I mean these new style Christians who feel the need to shove their beliefs on everyone else) and is proof that the attendance last night was truly rallied from the pulpit by feeding into their congregation's fear and ignorance.

I will be posting it soon.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Goodwitch, I wish you could sit through an underclassmen English class in SWHS. Everything revolves around FCAT writing. Although it goes back even farther. I've seen it in the middle school. They've changed the typical writing format to accomodate the FCAT. After many students leave high school, they are unfamiliar with proper writing formats because they have been taught FCAT standards their whole life.

Although that goes for every subject. Most teachers are only teaching material if it's on the FCAT. It's sad, to say the least.

But I guess this topic is for another thread.

I know. I did some substitute teaching until I could not stand it any more.

Now, I work with college students who need remedial work because of just what you describe. It is such a disservice to the wonderfully bright students...I think school administrators from The Commissioner in Tallahassee to the Board members, Superintendents, and Principals should be held accountable. Most teachers are doing the best they can with an impossible task.

The situation is truly sad and all of our society is suffering because of it.

I am cheering for the students at SWHS who are courageous enough to stand up for freedom of speech and mature dialogue.

These religious folks who will not even identify their church and can't be bothered to read the play in question are unbelieveable. Not the kind of faith I was brought up to believe in! And the principal: there are no words for that kind of closed mind!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
It was the local Baptist churches? :eek:

If I had to pick another denomination other than the one I am, I've always thought it would be Southern Baptist (and I did belong to a Baptist church 25 years ago, before I came back home to PWUMC). My SPOUSE is a Baptist, who finally gave in and joined the Methodist church. I adore a good Baptist sermon. :love: :blush:

Never did I dream that Village Baptist would have their congregation willing to drink Kool-Aid and lie down just because the pastor said so. It was much easier for me to believe that one of the local large "non-denominational" churches was behind the opposition to the play. :sosad:

This really breaks my heart. :blink:

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007
No, unfortunately, that says a lot about low expectations...teaching tests, and the absence of "critical thinking skills" in today's students in this area--not just Walton County, but much of Florida.

This is SUCH a great board! I find that if I "lurk" for just a few minutes SOMEBODY says EXACTLY what I was going to say!:clap:

And it saves me typing!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So, we found out how the auditorium was filled with so many people opposing Blite Spirit. Apparently the e-mail below was sent to many area church members.

I talked to quite a few people in the community today that were stunned to learn this extremism is happening here in SoWal. I think we have been complacent, and if this e-mail is not a wake up call, I don't know what is.

Dearest Friends:

Good Afternoon!! We had a very successful day getting our message out on the radio. We were on Psalm 91.1FM at 11:00AM to 12:00PM today. We had a "former" Wiccan who has become a Christian on the show. He was EXTREMELY CONCERNED about this play being performed and approved for high school use. He stated that Blithe Spirit was literally an "how-to instruction Manuel" for performance of Wicca arts. He said we must stop this in our schools!!! We need all of you to contact everyone you know who is concerned for our children and bring them with you tomorrow. PLEASE INCREASE YOUR INTENSITY OF YOUR PRAYING FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS!!! THIS WILL DEFINITELY MOVE THE LORD IN OUR BEHALF!! We thank OUR PRECIOUS JESUS in advance for the victory!! Pray that our community will see the love and concern of the Christians for them and for their children!! To God be the GLORY!!

NOTE: INTERCESSORY PRAYER will be held on the football field at SW HIGH starting 1 hour before our hearing tomorrow with the school board at 4:00 PM

The SCHOOL BOARD MEETING for our final appeal starts at 5:00 PM at SW High School.

See you all tomorrow!!

Our love and sincere thanks for everything you are doing! Keep praying and getting the word out!

In Him,

Jake and Rita

Father, I thank you for the victory you purchased for your people on Calvary. I thank you for he declaration , "It is finished." We, as your people are now choosing to enter into that finished victory in the fight against the enemy and his devices at SWHS as well as the county. We decree over the battle that it is finished and Jesus is LORD.

In Jesus name and by the power of His shed blood, we pray protection for Village Baptist and the other area churches involved with this issue. We bind every spirit the occult world would send against the church and cast them to the place Jesus has prepared for them. We break the power of every curse, hex and spell that has been directed against these churches and their members. I ask LORD for your angelic host to surround this environs and protect and preserve it.

LORD we pray for the board members meeting today and break off of them the spirit of deception and manipulation and control, every spirit of witchcraft is rendered powerless in Jesus name and by the power of the blood of the Lamb. Father, we bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ and release these board members to act according to your will and ways. Stir their consciences and soften their hearts to know truth, love truth and to act on truth. Reveal yourself to them in a fresh loving way according to who you are.

Thank you LORD for leading your people in triumph. Thank you LORD that you give us the victory through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We declare that no weapon formed against the children in the school system shall prosper and that every tongue that rises up against those speaking for righteousness shall be refuted because this is our heritage as your servants. Continue to lead and guide us as we war against unrighteousness and the works of the devil. Thank you that we do not battle alone: indeed the battle is not ours, but yours.

Father, we confess as sin we as adults have lead double lives, watching things,doing things, saying things that do not always demonstrate your lordship in our lives. Forgive us Lord, and let this process with the school board be the beginning of a more sanctified walk of Holiness with you. Thank you Lord for leading us and guiding us.

Amen

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007
The Jesus that I know would have been huddled in the corner either laughing his butt off or quivering in horror.

I have in my possession an e-mail sent out from the Lehmans (the challengers) to the Village Baptist Church members. I am not kidding when I tell y'all it is one of the most disturbing messages I have ever seen. Apparently it is circulating around the Christian community here (by Christian community, I mean these new style Christians who feel the need to shove their beliefs on everyone else) and is proof that the attendance last night was truly rallied from the pulpit by feeding into their congregation's fear and ignorance.

I will be posting it soon.

THIS oughta be good!

I hope they aren't going to drag that poor recovering drug addict/alcoholic back from the streets again though. Leave the man alone!:bang: I thought they weren't allowing riffraff into the school!