• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Any truth to the rumor that the commissioners approved a huge tax increase today?

Today they voted to adopt a budget and initial millage rate. Both of those will now become the basis of your TRIM (truth in millage) notice.

They will hold two public hearing on the budget in September.

The budget adopted would have required an increase in the millage rate from 3.4076 mills to 3.9 mills. That is about a 14% increase in the tax rate.

The amazing thing that happened is Commissioner Pridgen made a motion to increase the millage rate to 4.14 mills, was seconded by Commissioner C Jones. Commissioner Comander stated she could not support the increase. Vote was 4-1 with Comander being the no vote.

That means they voted to set the initial rate about 3 million above the rate necessary to have a balanced budget with no explanation of what they planned to do with the excess revenue.

The voted increase in the millage (tax rate) is about 22%.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I can imagine what the extra 3 million is for, but can't say anything until next week.

Today they voted to adopt a budget and initial millage rate. Both of those will now become the basis of your TRIM (truth in millage) notice.

They will hold two public hearing on the budget in September.

The budget adopted would have required an increase in the millage rate from 3.4076 mills to 3.9 mills. That is about a 14% increase in the tax rate.

The amazing thing that happened is Commissioner Pridgen made a motion to increase the millage rate to 4.14 mills, was seconded by Commissioner C Jones. Commissioner Comander stated she could not support the increase. Vote was 4-1 with Comander being the no vote.

That means they voted to set the initial rate about 3 million above the rate necessary to have a balanced budget with no explanation of what they planned to do with the excess revenue.

The voted increase in the millage (tax rate) is about 22%.

WTH? I thought C. Jones promised us when she ran that she would never vote for a tax increase? Pridgen had stated before he was unopposed that he had never voted for a tax increase and would never do so? What do you mean they did not give an explanation? How are we supposed to support such an increase when business is down 20-30 percent due to the oil spill and the economy?
What is the position of the Taxpayer's Association regarding this?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe to put the reserves back into the TDC if BP dosen't come through with reimbursement in a timely fashion.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
So they voted in a 21.5% increase in the millage rate, with absolutely no explanation?

Would the first (14%) increase that you mention have kept the budget at last year's levels?

I know I am naive, but state laws require them to start at the millage rate which would match last year's budget and then justify the increase. I realize that this commission has no qualms about breaking the law, but this is a little bald-faced, even for them.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
WTH? I thought C. Jones promised us when she ran that she would never vote for a tax increase? Pridgen had stated before he was unopposed that he had never voted for a tax increase and would never do so? What do you mean they did not give an explanation? How are we supposed to support such an increase when business is down 20-30 percent due to the oil spill and the economy?
What is the position of the Taxpayer's Association regarding this?

C. Jones said that all the cuts had been made that could be made.

K. Pridgen stated at Rosemary Town Hall to myself, Suzanne Harris, and another gentleman, that he would NEVER vote for the roll back rate. But at that time he still could have had an opponent.

Credibility is becoming a rare commodity. This does give them quite a bit of wiggle room, but if you looked at the proposed budget there was still quite a bit of wiggle room with funded positions that they had already eliminated this year as being unnecessary, appearing in next year's budget, and I understood them to say that there was not necessarily a plan to fill those positions.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
So they voted in a 21.5% increase in the millage rate, with absolutely no explanation?

Would the first (14%) increase that you mention have kept the budget at last year's levels?

I know I am naive, but state laws require them to start at the millage rate which would match last year's budget and then justify the increase. I realize that this commission has no qualms about breaking the law, but this is a little bald-faced, even for them.

All they have to do is add a line to the budget and call it oil disaster reserve to cover this.

The budget was actually reduced by about 2.5 million if I remember correctly, thanks to Mike Adkinson, Rhonda Skipper, Martha Ingle, and Bobby Beasley. But they want to bring in the same amount of tax dollars next year that they brought in this year.

The BCC budget does propose a 75% increase in administrative staffing, so I guess that has to be funded. I think they did cut some workers though.