Walton County Commissioner Brannon accused of ethics violations

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Alan Osborne, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Alan Osborne

Alan Osborne Beach Lover

Please watch the 10pm edition of the Channel 7 News tonight. They will be airing a story regarding a serious issue brought before the BCC at this afternoon's meeting.

Alan

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Walton Sun already has an article online.

3. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Brilliant! You've got him on the run, now cut him off from the herd and tie him down!

:clap: Nice job!

Shel.

4. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    So they just shut down the meeting and left? :confused: That seems rather unusual.

5. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

got a link?

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Commissioner Brannon accused of ethics violation, - WaltonSun.com

WOW. :clap:

7. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

And cowardly.

8. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

Actually, WZEP says they did come back:
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black] [LEFT][COLOR=black][COLOR=#000080] [/COLOR][COLOR=#000080][B][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][INDENT][COLOR=black][COLOR=#000080][B][COLOR=#000000]Walton County Commissioner Meeting Part 2[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][B][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]After the long break and contentious meeting, the commissioners came back into session. Public Works was asked for options at Driftwood Estates, including pumping. Once again, Public Works will bring back a plan.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]Sonny Mares of the TDC had appeared earlier to the Board asking for a continuance to Monday, May 11, to consider a resolution requesting a ? cent increase to the Tourist Development Tax.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]Shirl Williams presented two citizen services issues for a grant and Pan Care. A request for a cost recovery fee was tabled, as were Human Resource issues. Nine issues under Public Works were all quickly approved and four administration issues were quickly approved; including moving the May 12 meeting to May 11.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]The county attorney requested a public hearing May 11 to consider a county-wide noise ordinance. The county will take a case concerning Oyster Lake to the state Supreme Court.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]Commissioner Pridgen received permission to seek a grant for Natural Bridge Spring and Creek.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=black]
    [/COLOR][/INDENT][COLOR=black][COLOR=#000080][COLOR=#000000]I like their comment about Driftwood: "Once again, Public Works will bring back a plan".
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

9. Alan Osborne

Alan Osborne Beach Lover

Who changed the title to my Thread?

A couple of things are first and foremost. That's not the title I put in my thread. Everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty. Don't get me wrong I am livid about the whole situation, make no mistake. Give commissioner Brannon a chance to answer, I will. I am just as upset over the failure of a state agency to have full disclosure, identify conflicts of interest and provide enforcement (The DCA), and that is going to be my first ethics complaint. Everybody got focused on Brannon but more serious allegations and appearances were made prior to the paperwork on Brannon was presented. If I had not been cut off Mr. Burke I would have presented evidence on employees of the county who I believed made false statements to the board.

When a commissioner votes he or she does so sometimes on the advice of legal council. Give Commissioner Brannon the chance for his council to review the paperwork and answer.

I am not on a "witch hunt" for Brannon or any other particular individual. It's petty and I don't have time in my life for that. I simply want to fix a system that from where I sit, appears to have lost some checks and balances.

There have been many false statements made over Driftwood in my opinion and the opinion of our homeowners board. The vast majority have been made by people who are not on the board, but who look to get their way even if it means making false statements or a misuse of position. I'm not drawing a bead on a particular person but if ANYBODY did something wrong in this situation, they should step forward now with a plan to bring the development order into FULL COMPLIANCE. I will accept nothing less, I live there.

I take the actions that occured at the BCC meeting last night very seriously and realize that this action is painful for me and the citizens of the county. Employee's of the county and developers, not just elected officials had better understand this. We have come to a time when the citizens will demand transparency in all Govt. accountability. I hope this is the first step for Walton County. I humbly request that all citizens be as active as possible, to ensure constitutional rights are first and foremost the priority of Government at all levels. Mistakes are going to happen, we're humans. Mature adults accept responsibilty for the mistakes they make and correct them. Denial is not a correction. I hope this explains my actions, I'm really kind of sad about the whole situation.
    Alan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. MommaMia

MommaMia Beach Lover

Has Osborne actually filed a complaint?

It's one thing to stand up and present the allegations before the Board that Brannon serves on. It's another to actually file a full complaint with the appropriate ethics authorities. I applaud Alan for his tenacity, but maybe it's now time to "talk softly . . .and carry a big stick."

11. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Alan, I am sure it was Kurt who changed the title to reflect what is said in the headline of the story. I am also certain that he did it to be less vague. Since it is your thread, feel free to PM Kurt and suggest how you might like the title to be tweaked.

I do have a question for you, after reading the story. What does Freeport Group LLC actually do? Does it develop in Driftwood? Or does Brannon have a separate business relationship with Jones? It does seem obvious that assisting Jones' bottom line might have a positive impact on Brannon's business dealings with him, but it is hard to make that assessment without knowing what their business relationship actually is.

I don't think it's a good idea to "conduct a trial by Sowal.com," but any additional objective, public information is welcome. I agree that it should be done through the proper channels.

12. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Way to go Alan!!! :clap:

Tip o' the iceberg w/ Brannon IMO - this isn't his first time getting in trouble.

13. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

They did come back after a break. In fairness to the BCC, it is not unusual for them to break during their sessions and since this was a rather contentious meeting, the Chairman, Sara Comander, obviously felt a break was in order. Some of you who don't attend the meetings need to chill out a little.

14. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thread titles are often changed to reflect the content. The idea is to help the reader know what's inside. Yesterday your title was relevant ("check out the news tonight"), although vague. Today it would be unintentionally misleading, since we don't want anyone to think they need to check the news tonight for your issue.

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Out of curiosity, did I correctly hear that Commissioner Larry Jones was once employed by a major builder in Driftwood Estates, Adams Homes?

16. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I know he was part of U-Build-it, don't know about Adams Homes. Is anyone really surprised by this ethics issue with Brannon? :roll:

17. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

He was there job foreman, I think. That is why he has been recusing himself on the Driftwood issue.

18. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

No, when I saw the thread title I just wondered if it was more of the same (election issues, financial disclosure statement issues) or if he was getting called out for something new. :roll:

19. Alan Osborne

Alan Osborne Beach Lover

Thanks kurt

thanks Kurt, I just wanted to know.

20. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

The most amazing thing about all of this is that Brannon is not smart enough to know that while you are a sitting commissioner, you take cash under the table. You don't become a partner until you leave office.