• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Good point. My land is agriculture and yes, I would be concerned if a hog farm or a chicken house were to be built next door. What would upset me most is having to find some other place to live, or the time it would take from my nights as I worked to eliminate the offending problem. I did purchase a large enough tract of land though that it may not be as much of an issue as I initially think.

But another issue could be the detriment the hog farm causes to your property value (and I was thinking more in terms of if you lived in a residentially zoned subdivision).

But is this not the problem that you have purchasing land that is not restricted in some way? I remember going to meetings where people would by land in unrestricted subdivisions and then come and complain when businesses would be built next to them. And watched a lady break down and cry one night because they were going to build a motel on Hwy 98 in Miramar.

So how far does one go with those sort of things?

But that's just it: the land along 30-A IS restricted - by statutory height restrictions. Owners, buyers, investors, etc. know that if they do their due diligence. Now as far as Okaloosa or Bay counties where such restrictions don't exist, I say knock yourself out; build them to the skies. But the restrictions don't allow it along the 30-A corridor; it's a different approach to planning that seems to be pretty successful.

I stayed at one of those Phoenix high rises in Orange Beach over part f Spring Break, and it was very nice; several pools, nice balcony view,etc., and I stayed at the Emerald Towers in Destin one weekend which was also nice. But the laid-back community feel and appearance of 30-A is something that those places can't match.

If the height restrictions were to be rescinded, and numerous high rises were built along 30-A, which already has traffic issues during peak weekends and season, what would need to be done about traffic management? It's a 2-lane plus multi-use path all the way through. It could create a need for wider roads in certain areas, but I certainly don't see you as the type to advocate eminent domain; talk about a private property rights issue that gets ugly...

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
But another issue could be the detriment the hog farm causes to your property value (and I was thinking more in terms of if you lived in a residentially zoned subdivision).

But that's just it: the land along 30-A IS restricted - by statutory height restrictions. Owners, buyers, investors, etc. know that if they do their due diligence. Now as far as Okaloosa or Bay counties where such restrictions don't exist, I say knock yourself out; build them to the skies. But the restrictions don't allow it along the 30-A corridor; it's a different approach to planning that seems to be pretty successful.

I stayed at one of those Phoenix high rises in Orange Beach over part f Spring Break, and it was very nice; several pools, nice balcony view,etc., and I stayed at the Emerald Towers in Destin one weekend which was also nice. But the laid-back community feel and appearance of 30-A is something that those places can't match.

If the height restrictions were to be rescinded, and numerous high rises were built along 30-A, which already has traffic issues during peak weekends and season, what would need to be done about traffic management? It's a 2-lane plus multi-use path all the way through. It could create a need for wider roads in certain areas, but I certainly don't see you as the type to advocate eminent domain; talk about a private property rights issue that gets ugly...

Well they are not going to rescind the height limitation in sowal. Actually if something had a public purpose then I have no problem with eminent domain. I am against using it for economic development or to increase the tax base. I am very much against taking property rights away without compensating the owner.

But again, I doubt I ever live to see the day that the Walton County BCC uses eminent domain. They are just now going to start making people pay their taxes. Something that they have NEVER done in the past.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
They are just now going to start making people pay their taxes. Something that they have NEVER done in the past. __________________
What is your basis for this statement??
Do you mean all these years I have been paying taxes and I really didn't have to??
The county has been selling tax certificates and issuing tax deeds for as long as I can remember. Or did you mean some other kind of tax??

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
What is your basis for this statement??
Do you mean all these years I have been paying taxes and I really didn't have to??
The county has been selling tax certificates and issuing tax deeds for as long as I can remember. Or did you mean some other kind of tax??

Tax certificates that failed to sell, and there were 4 million dollars worth a couple of years ago, are struck to the BCC who, as of yet, have ever foreclosed. After seven years they go away. So if you do not pay your taxes and no one buys the certificate, after seven years it is clear. So to answer your first question, public records and research that members of the WCTA are doing as part of our transparency in government project and the second question would be yes unless someone bought the certificate.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

I was amazed. Think about this though. By not collecting those taxes not only is the BCC being shorted but so is the mosquito control district, fire district, and school district. I believe that the mosquito control district has requested that the county pay them what they have been shorted since they are not collecting them. My understanding is the wheels are starting to turn and now they are looking into the collection of them. But to make up 4 million dollars, that equates to a 1/4 mill of your total tax bill in additional taxes you are paying since others are not. Not a whole lot of money, but it is a fairness issue, imho.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Tax certificates that failed to sell, and there were 4 million dollars worth a couple of years ago, are struck to the BCC who, as of yet, have ever foreclosed. After seven years they go away. So if you do not pay your taxes and no one buys the certificate, after seven years it is clear. So to answer your first question, public records and research that members of the WCTA are doing as part of our transparency in government project and the second question would be yes unless someone bought the certificate.
WHAT!!!! :eek:
That certainly needs to change ASAP! :angry:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So are you saying robert, that even though the owner/ mortgage holder have not paid we have never attempted to collect. In the case of a company holding a lien are they responsible for the taxes? How many of these properties are multi year tax dodgers?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
So are you saying robert, that even though the owner/ mortgage holder have not paid we have never attempted to collect. In the case of a company holding a lien are they responsible for the taxes? How many of these properties are multi year tax dodgers?

This tax thing is nothing if not the most confusing thing I have ever been involved in. I have had people from the tax collectors office as well as those that invest in tax certificates explain it to me and it still took quite a bit before I felt like I understood. Keep in mind that not everyone escrows their taxes. The actual management of this county tax structure has been seriously lacking in the past. For example, for years, a Democrat held the office of Tax Collector. While she was in office, we did not enforce several tax collection rules. When Republican Rhonda Skipper took over she immediately started working on putting fairness back into the system so that everyone would pay their share. But in the circumstances relating to these tax certificates, all that her office could do is notify the BCC, it is there duty to pursue. That was not being done. I understand that now that is in the process of being changed. Since the certificates do not expire for seven years, we have time to recoup the two year old 4 million dollars that is outstanding. Since property values in 2002 were just beginning to ramp up, and taxes were relatively lower, I doubt that the dollars we have lost in the past were significant. But fair is fair. If everyone pays then everyone suddenly becomes concerned about the level of spending.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I realize that not everyone does but I would venture to guess a letter to the mortgage holder unless it is owned outright would get a swift response especiallt if a forclosure notice was attatched. As for the failure to pay, are any of the homes, if you know currently in foreclosure? Oh and as for whether a Republican or Democrat followed the rules, can we avoid the STONES because I would venture to guess that we could find errors/ oversights/ omissions in just about any politician. As for Rhonda Skipper, I voted for her and trust she is doing the job currently. Robert, I don't always agree with your post, but you do have an interesting way in presenting some info.

Last edited: