• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Concerned

Beach Comber
May 21, 2010
I am very concerned about the Sheriff taking over the walton county jail. The commissioners had a very bias investigation of the jail done by the sheriffs department. How do you do an unbias investigation when it is done by the department that wants to take it over.
I am also concerned with bought votes, commisioners (Scott) promising other commisioners that their family will be hired in high paying county jobs if they vote their way. Then if you read their campaign slogans it is all about integrity (Sara). How can you have integrity when 70 families are worried about their jobs and your family member is buying a new truck.
I am concerned with someone taking over the jail that goes out and spends approx. half a million dollars on hay of the tax payers money without any knowledge of this to the tax payers or commisioners, or it going out for bid instead of the good ole boy hiring. With this kind of integrity we as a county will be broke.
As a county we need to stand up to this kind of integrity and vote our commisioners out of office and elect some that are not about themselves and are concerned with what is best for this county and the tax payers.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
As for the investigation, if that is what you really mean, I would agree.
At the same time the Sheriff has indicated his desire to take the jail over again. As I understood it, he has promised cost savings. On the positives I was told that the jail reduced cost when the WC BCC took it over and that they have recieved Accreditation. As for the accusations against Sara and Scot, one I voted for and the other I did not, my suggestion is to tell us how they did what they are accused of or exactly what they did because at this point you are just venting. Oh and for the record, I oppose the Sheriff taking over the jail and that department becoming a political football at budget time AGAIN. As for the employees, my feeling is that the County could force an agreement on the Sheriff to keep all current employees except for his management team which would have to be in place, after all it is a political position. As for you rank and file, I would be concerned after every so many years you are dealing with a new manager, might I suggest a UNION. They don't just negotiate wages, but they also negotiate working conditions. You all know how to get in touch with me if you want.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
...At the same time the Sheriff has indicated his desire to take the jail over again. As I understood it, he has promised cost savings. ...
As for you rank and file, I would be concerned after every so many years you are dealing with a new manager, might I suggest a UNION ...

Yeah...there are two things that do not go in lockstep with each other. Bring in a union and costs will never go down

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Never said anything about cost, as you notice, I advised they don't just negotiate wages, but they also negotiate working conditions, which I believe was the primary concern of the poster.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I am very concerned about the Sheriff taking over the walton county jail. The commissioners had a very bias investigation of the jail done by the sheriffs department. How do you do an unbias investigation when it is done by the department that wants to take it over.
I am also concerned with bought votes, commisioners (Scott) promising other commisioners that their family will be hired in high paying county jobs if they vote their way. Then if you read their campaign slogans it is all about integrity (Sara). How can you have integrity when 70 families are worried about their jobs and your family member is buying a new truck.
I am concerned with someone taking over the jail that goes out and spends approx. half a million dollars on hay of the tax payers money without any knowledge of this to the tax payers or commisioners, or it going out for bid instead of the good ole boy hiring. With this kind of integrity we as a county will be broke.
As a county we need to stand up to this kind of integrity and vote our commisioners out of office and elect some that are not about themselves and are concerned with what is best for this county and the tax payers.
Who do you suggest? Your post really has me interested since it is your first one. I'm not sure whether to say:welcome:or not but I will. I assume you do attend Commission meetings and are attentive to what they have to say.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It was my understanding that control of the jail only recently went to the commissioners and that we are reaping a variety of benefits from the arrangement - so I see no reason to change how things are being done.

I have been very pleased with the job our current Sheriff is doing, and am sure that would translate to the jail as well, but the fact that Brannon is pushing this makes me VERY suspicious/concerned.

Brannon and his cronies should be behind bars, not helping run the facility.

It was my understanding that control of the jail only recently went to the commissioners and that we are reaping a variety of benefits from the arrangement - so I see no reason to change how things are being done.

I have been very pleased with the job our current Sheriff is doing, and am sure that would translate to the jail as well, but the fact that Brannon is pushing this makes me VERY suspicious/concerned.

Brannon and his cronies should be behind bars, not helping run the facility.

I don't really have a problem with the current sheriff but I have to say I am troubled that an enormous amount of power seems to be transfering to the position. First EOC and 911, now the jail and it is rumored the courthouse security. One man should not have that much power and control. As the old saying goes absolute power corrupts absolutely. Another concern is what happens when this sheriff retires, is defeated or moves on to other things? What if another Ralph is elected? EOC has passed back and forth 4-5 times and the jail twice. Seems it would be better for everyone if these entities ceased being political footballs or trophies and stayed with the BCC.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't really have a problem with the current sheriff but I have to say I am troubled that an enormous amount of power seems to be transfering to the position. First EOC and 911, now the jail and it is rumored the courthouse security. One man should not have that much power and control. As the old saying goes absolute power corrupts absolutely. Another concern is what happens when this sheriff retires, is defeated or moves on to other things? What if another Ralph is elected? EOC has passed back and forth 4-5 times and the jail twice. Seems it would be better for everyone if these entities ceased being political footballs or trophies and stayed with the BCC.
While I understand what you are saying, the idea of limited and streamlined government is to consolidate and unify functions, not fracture them.
While this may really be difficult to do at the federal and state level, it is much easier to accomplish at the local level and, IMO, should be done where you have the resources and personnel possible to accomplish it.
One of the many reasons is there is a lot more oversight available at the local level and if things do go badly, they are much easier to correct.
While I agree that the EOC and jail should not be political footballs, the decision should be made once and for all where they belong and legislative intent passed to assure such.

Last edited: