• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

judycaden

Beach Crab
May 9, 2009
Hello. I enjoy reading about the pioneers/settlers in Walton County (1880 - 1940). Read a short story about the Klawhammer Inn (near Rocky Bayou/Bluewater Bay) which was a juke joint during Prohibition. The story mentions "low bush lightning" and the folks who made it out in the swampy areas of the bayou. In truth I am into genealogy, but have NO intention of using this site/venue to discus that; there are plenty other sites for that. BUT I do hope to continue finding and reading articles about the old folks of Walton County. Found Brenda R's articles very interesting and hope to see more.

My uncle owned and operated a small grocery in Freeport in the 1950s and later - at (and near) the interesection of Hwy 331 and St Road 20. Uncle 'Cort' (Cortez) Cadenhead had a million stories. ...he learned to cut meat while serving in the Army during WWII. We traveled from Niceville to Freeport every two weeks to buy groceries in his story. (My Daddy believed the family should stick together and support each other.) My sister and I loved going to hear Uncle Cort's stories and get a grape drink and a moon pie (to us it was high livin' indeed). :wave:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Hello. I enjoy reading about the pioneers/settlers in Walton County (1880 - 1940). Read a short story about the Klawhammer Inn (near Rocky Bayou/Bluewater Bay) which was a juke joint during Prohibition. The story mentions "low bush lightning" and the folks who made it out in the swampy areas of the bayou. In truth I am into genealogy, but have NO intention of using this site/venue to discus that; there are plenty other sites for that. BUT I do hope to continue finding and reading articles about the old folks of Walton County. Found Brenda R's articles very interesting and hope to see more.

My uncle owned and operated a small grocery in Freeport in the 1950s and later - at (and near) the interesection of Hwy 331 and St Road 20. Uncle 'Cort' (Cortez) Cadenhead had a million stories. ...he learned to cut meat while serving in the Army during WWII. We traveled from Niceville to Freeport every two weeks to buy groceries in his story. (My Daddy believed the family should stick together and support each other.) My sister and I loved going to hear Uncle Cort's stories and get a grape drink and a moon pie (to us it was high livin' indeed). :wave:

:welcome:

I didn't know Mr. Cadenhead, but I remember the store in Freeport. Saw it everyday on the school bus, and way back when I was growing up. Welcome to Sowal!

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
Loved your post. Every Sunday after church in DeFuniak we would head for Gra yton Beach stopping by your uncle's and then the Casey's for a block of ice. Your cousin, Skeeter, was my idol when I was a little girl.