1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Walton County Fishing Pier Survey

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by kurt, Jun 14, 2018.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Walton County has developed a short survey regarding the potential construction of a public fishing pier in the Gulf of Mexico.

This link will be active until July 13th.

Click Here to Take the Survey Potential Walton County Fishing Pier Survey

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Done. Not thrilled about piers in our State Parks..

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

I am trying to understand why a public fishing pier is not being better supported. It allows people who do not have the means to own a boat to have the opportunity to catch cobia, mackerel, redfish etc. Our Gulf water is public just like the beach itself (at least the wet sand). Just my two cents in that the more we become a class society the more disconnected and unequal the opportunity for all. Our social infrastructure is becoming very hypocritical in both the haves and have nots. If we take the opportunity to share our good fortunes only good things will happen. The State Parks offer a physical infrastructure that makes sense for a fishing pier. There is no isolated area where you can put a fishing pier and avoid the mixing with the less privileged. I completely accept that I will be attacked for being a "troll" or "ignorant" or some other demeaning word. All I ask is to please take a deep breath and say or sing to yourself "everything is going to be alright" (Kenny Chesney song stuck in my head)...to have a fishing pier at a State Park! Survey done. Happy Father's Day and belated "Mother's Day to all the mothers and fathers!

4. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

There is free fishing at the new pier / ramps at 331 bridge, and you can catch fish on the beach free, including Cobia. We do have about 29% of children in Walton County needing food assistance. There are better ways to deal with that than building a pier for tourists, which would be 98% of users I'm guessing. That said, I'm not against it. Just not sure it's needed the one at 331 is terrific.

5. Emerald Drifter

Emerald Drifter Beach Lover

I voted for the pier and for it to be on Walton County property, NOT Deer Lake or Grayton State Park. Leave the state parks alone, as pristine as possible.

6. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I tend to agree. What Walton County park has enough parking? Beach width for that matter?
    Inlet Beach . Santa Clara . Van Ness Butler . Miramar Beach

Wouldn't it be a hoot to put it at VNB right between watercolor and seaside? I'm sure tourists would love it, and plenty of owners would hate it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Lover

Well, it would give people a place to go since they aren't allowed on "their" beaches. The beach front owners should embrace it.

Wouldn't that be funny. "Stay off my beach!"

Okay

8. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

They know it would bring more traffic and outsiders spilling over onto their private beaches.

9. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Lover

I was just having fun with it. I don't really think they'd would enjoy a pier. Maybe I should have put a smiley or winky face in my post.

10. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Someone please explain to me what an "outsider" is. Is it someone from nowal? Is it tourist? Is it an "undesirable". Is it a "redneck" (you know those people with empty beer cans in the back of their pickup truck). I thought diversity was a good thing :)

Human civilization and pristine is an oxymoron. We have build over dunes. We have septic tanks leaking into the ocean. Civilization has pretty much "changed" the pure state of this planet. County, State and National Parks are a wonderful compromise between civilization and the natural earth but it ain't pristine. A fishing pier is a wonderful compromise in human diversity. Some people don't like hooks in the water close to "their" beach so this would be good for the beach people and those who want to put a hook in the water. I think their are more pros than cons to a fishing pier. If someone can tell of a better place than a State Park (in Walton County) then I will listen and learn.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Magee

Magee Beach Lover

I think the addition of a county-owned fishing pier here would be an excellent addition to South Walton. I am not in favor with County tax dollars building on a state park. The majority of the state parks charge you to enter which then eliminates usage of the county-owned pier.

The solution would be for the county to purchase property to build and also put adequate parking. My recommendation would be a parking garage going up not spreading out. The fishing pier will also be a draw for other businesses for economic growth.

There are many organizations currently trying to work to teach our young residents how to fish again this would be an excellent opportunity for them.

But definitely not on state park property.

12. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

But where would the County look for the property and the funds that everyone would agree to? If the argument is, well it's just not ideal to have the State operate a public fishing pier then okay what is ideal. I could be wrong but I don't think the county is motivated in buying property and building a fishing pier. So if you support a fishing pier we may have to accept something less than ideal because it comes down to funding.

13. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

Would not want to swim near a fishing pier. Fishing piers attract sharks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Plenty of piers within easy driving distance argue against the money, resources and environmental impact involved with this project. " NOPE"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Build it in Miramar. We would welcome the addition.

16. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Are you talking about Pier Park? The distance is 54 miles one way from Defuniak Springs which is over 100 miles both ways and about 2 hours driving time. I'm glad you brought up the environmental impact. It seems we use the environmental impact argument when we don't want something but if we want something we use the economic argument. We are talking about putting hooks in the water off shore while standing on a platform built on pilings. Not building over dunes like all the structures along the beach. Not putting in septic tanks. Not throwing hooks and bait into the water where people swim. There must be some other reason for not supporting a pier. Could it be that we just don't want certain people to have the opportunity to enjoy fishing offshore that can't otherwise afford a charter or a boat? I do agree about the cost and that it why it makes sense to put at Topsail or some other State Park.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  17. Lake View Too

Lake View Too Beach Fanatic

From Defuniak you are going to save how many miles going to Topsail rather than Pier Park? I guess Skunk Ape was thinking about the locals, the residents of the community you would like to put an eyesore in, so you can dangle a hook maybe four times a year. I wonder if you would like a NASCAR speedway across the street from your house. A ludicrous analogy? NOPE.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Okay the eyesore argument is ludicrous when you compare a fishing pier to a structure that blocks our views completely like a condo. You are kidding about the Nascar speedway analogy and the distance between Defuniak and Topsail compared to the distance between Defuniak and Pier Park right? I use google maps by the way. Lets try to be more civil when debating an issue. If you don't want a fishing pier just take the survey and vote no. If you want to debate the issue then give me a better argument against a fishing pier or just be honest about why you prefer not to mix with the type of people who like to fish...from a pier...in the ocean...away from the beach...not bothering anyone...not blocking your views...and not polluting the water...

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Nope!

• Like Like x 1
  20. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

Yes those types are so gauche.