• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The Walton County Heritage Association Annual Meeting is Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 7 p.m. at the Walton County Heritage Museum, 1140 Circle Dr., DeFuniak Springs, Florida.

Bob Hurst, an authority on Indian and military trails dating back to the eighteenth century, is the featured speaker. Hurst is Vice-President of the Historic Society of Bay County. He has studied at Cambridge, England; in particular the works of the British military officers who mapped Northwest Florida as they traversed from Pensacola to St. Augustine in the 1700s. A program not to be missed!!! Bob has participated in South Walton's Back to Nature program.

A short business meeting will preceed the program. The meeting is open to the public and free. However, this non-profit organization depends on volunteers and your donations. Dues are $15 Single and $25 Couple. Also, donor levels are available at $1,000 Historians, $500 Founders, $100 Pioneers, $50 settlers and other. Historians and Founders have their names engraved on plaque next to interior front door of museum. Members also enjoy museum research benefits and gift shop discounts. Please consider bringing a check or donation to the meeting. You may mail donations to: Walton County Heritage Association, Post Office Box 1681, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. THANK YOU!!

A good example of the blending of Walton County's significant history with its splendid environment.

brenda-rees-albums-walton-county-museum-caboose-vc-picture5289-walton-county-museum-11-09-decorated-christmas.jpg

Walton County Heritage Museum in DeFuniak Springs, Florida at historic train depot on Circle Drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
I'm hoping Bob will expound upon some of my favorite trails. Exactly where is the "real" Old Spanish Trail in Northwest Florida? Explain the significance of the Stuart-Purcell Map of 1778, reveal where they travelled through Walton County and how they changed the name of the bay.Is there a difference in the "Jackson" trails?

brenda-rees-albums-florida-maps-picture4209-alaqua-map-1837-j-lee-williams-partial-map-florida-illustrates-multiple-roads-leading-alaqua-walton-county-florida.jpg

Here's a copy of my 1837 map showing roads through Alaqua, an early Walton County seat. I'm curious how these trails correspond to early military and Indian trails. Note Walton County is next to Escambia County. South Walton is in Washington County at this time.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Yes. This interesting meeting just got better (along with the weather!) I understand Bob will be bring his 8 foot long copy of the Stuart-Purcell Map. This was the map developed as British soldiers marched from Pensacola, their 14th British Colony of West Florida headquarters, to St. Augustine, their 15th British Colony of East Florida headquarters. It is said that this is when the Choctawhatchee Bay was named or "misnamed." A previous name was Chocatahatchie after the Chacatos , not Choctaw. Also, the Bay had been known as Santa Rosa Bay as named by early Spanish explorers (a hint to the origin of many of our area's names).

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
What a wonderful program. Bob Hurst did an excellent job describing the early native and military trails in the Walton County area. Here's a picture of one such trail in Topsail Hill State Preserve Park.

brenda-rees-albums-walton-county-museum-caboose-vc-picture5366-hurst-topsl-trail-pic.jpg

brenda-rees-albums-walton-county-museum-caboose-vc-picture5363-hurst-topsl-trail.jpg