• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Change made: items must still be removed from the beach from one hour after dusk to one hour after sunrise, permits not required for large items stored at the toe of the dune. State and Federal permnits may be required and are the responsibility of applicant (even though no application is required?). Items shall not be scattered, but rather stored to avoid clutter to minimize turtle nesting obstruction, and care shall be taken to avoid impacts to dunes and vegetation.

See attached pdf.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wonder if anyone would mind if I left up my pop-up tent and chairs at Eden for a week. I really like hanging out over there, but it's just so much trouble to cart my stuff back and forth. And my cooler is soooo heavy- maybe I could leave it on the front porch. And I am sure nobody will notice my canoe and life jackets on the seawall next to the dock.

:roll:

Change made: items must still be removed from the beach from one hour after dusk to one hour after sunrise, permits not required for large items stored at the toe of the dune. State and Federal permnits may be required and are the responsibility of applicant (even though no application is required?). Items shall not be scattered, but rather stored to avoid clutter to minimize turtle nesting obstruction, and care shall be taken to avoid impacts to dunes and vegetation.

See attached pdf.
So does that mean that if someone abandons a large broken tent at the toe of the dune, it'll stay there until I or some of our neighbors move it?:bang:

This has happened many times. A tent is too heavy for me to take to the street. With considerable effort I've broken tents to the middle of the beach, hoping that the beach patrol will confiscate them, only do out the next AM to find them back under the walkover. I wonder if the beach patrols are the ones dragging them back to the "toe of the dune" to avoid the effort of loading them into their trucks?

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I'm confused. the only thing that changes is no permit required to leave at the toe of dunes. WILL THE COUNTY START ENFORCING THE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TENTS LEFT ON THE BEACH NIGHTLY?they didn't enforce this last year

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I'm confused. the only thing that changes is no permit required to leave at the toe of dunes. WILL THE COUNTY START ENFORCING THE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TENTS LEFT ON THE BEACH NIGHTLY?they didn't enforce this last year

dunelaker-albums-hurricanes-tropical-storms-2009-picture5475-mini-tent-outfall-hurr-dolly-72308.jpg

Do you mean stuff like this left on beach by coastal dune lake outfall? This was back in July 08 around Hurricane Dolly. Nothing like having all this stuff blown around on beach and into gulf and coastal dune lakes. How leaving this at "toe" will keep it from being a nuisance and danger is debatable. If there is a heavy rain and the outfall opens, what happens to this stuff!!?? With some enforcement, our beaches had been restored to more of their natural beautiful state.

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I love this technique. They are so "environmental" by taking in the tent cover at night. Like the other stuff doesn't hinder turtles or won't be blown to kingdom come if a tropical storm or severe thunderstorm with 60 mph winds whips up unexpectedly overnight.

dunelaker-albums-hurricanes-tropical-storms-2009-picture5473-frame-beach-hurr-dolly-72308-am.jpg