• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Just curious- I am trying to find out how many National Merit Semi-Finalists and Finalists have come out of the Walton County School District, and I've only been able to easily find the 2014 results (one semi-finalist, home schooled).

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/national-merit-semifinalists-named-1.371600

I have not heard about any others since moving here, but of course that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sadly, the Panhandle doesn't seem to be a hotbed for National Merit Scholars.:dunno::dunno:

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks. The Panhandle as a region looks pretty slim compared to other parts of the state. What aren't we doing?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wonder if it is because more emphasis is put on a test that only benefits the district (FCAT) than on the test that actually benefits students in terms of scholarship opportunities and college board test prep (FCAT)? I know a lot of teachers and students and many are National Merit Scholar quality. I understand that not every student can (or should) be a semi-finalist or finalist. But when there is focus on this highest level of achievement, it raises the bar of success for everyone. For everyone that brags on our schools - if you moved here from another community, did those schools consistently have a certain number of National Merit Scholars? Don't you think it's weird that we really don't have a measurable number? This is not a teacher or student quality problem (because I have great confidence in both to be able to achieve at high levels), but a district problem. Actually it appears to be a regional Panhandle problem.