• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Walton County commissioners will vote for or against accepting the award Dec. 29, according to Matt Gaetz, the attorney who has represented Suzanne Harris in all of her lawsuits against the county.

By Tom McLaughlin | 315-4435 | @TomMnwfdn | tmclaughlin@nwfdailynews.com
MILTON - Walton County was ordered Monday to pay $175,000 in attorney fees racked up by local activist Suzanne Harris in a Sunshine Law case.

The victory for Harris marks the third time she has triumphed over the county since 2009 in cases in which Sunshine Law violations were alleged.

"I have sued them three times, and all three times they accused us of perpetrating fraud on the county, and three times we won and three times they had to pay my attorney's fees," Harris said. "Three strikes and you're out."

Walton County commissioners will vote for or against accepting the award Dec. 29, according to Matt Gaetz, the attorney who has represented Harris in all of her lawsuits against the county. The vote is likely to be held in executive session.

Gaetz said he had told the county's attorneys he would settle for $180,000 and they had made a counter offer of $170,000.

"We basically split the difference," he said.

County attorney Mark Davis declined to comment on the vote date or any other aspect of Monday's hearing. The office of Bill Warner, who was in court representing the county at the hearing for attorney fees, also had no comment.

Harris sued the county for the first time in 2009, alleging that county officials were systematically destroying public records it was legally required to retain.

The second lawsuit in 2011 alleged the county commission failed to do what was necessary to prevent "the irregular and unlawful activities" surrounding a land deal at Chat Holley Road.

It claimed the county had violated the Sunshine Law by retaining attorney George Ralph Miller outside of a public meeting.

The final lawsuit, also filed in 2011, alleged Miller intentionally prevented Harris from obtaining records she was entitled to. Those records pertained to the Chat Holley land deal.

It was the second lawsuit for which attorney fees were agreed upon Monday. Harris said her legal team had originally offered to settle the lawsuit for an apology from Miller, who has since died, and a promise not to commit further Sunshine Law violations.

The county turned down the offer.

"It's unbelievable," Harris said.

Harris said the $175,000 Walton County will be requested to pay is an amount added to the county's own legal bill of $186,000.

"As a result of this, I hope Walton County will never again approve a contract outside of the Sunshine," said Gaetz.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Step right up folks and place your bets.

Which of our 5 Elected Officials will be foolish and vote NO on this?

Any takers?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The County Attorney indicated at the BCC meeting that he did not feel that an Executive session was necessary as the court had ruled in favor of the attorney fees being reasonable.

The judgement in itself should be all that is necessary.

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
There are some people who never learn this is the tax payers wasted dollars on the BCC and others personal vendettas. If like you have two choices do the right thing when you come to a crossroad or do the wrong thing. Most of teach our children to always chose right over ego but most of these commissioners never learned those lessons. Between all of my lawsuits I personally have never gotten a dime but believe me I have spent a fortune just trying to government in the SUNSHINE not in the DARK.This county has wasted about 1 million dollars in attorney fees for the county and in paying my attorney over the past 8 years and what have you gotten for their stupidity? It is not hard to do the right thing and have open honest government, unless you owe your sole or your commission seat to the devil. Be thankful you elected Melanie Nipper.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting 9 a.m. on Dec. 27 at the Walton County Courthouse, DeFuniak Springs. Among items on the agenda a payment of attorney fees to plaintiff Suzanne Harris in the
Harris v. Walton County case number 11CA1027.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Step right up folks and place your bets.

Which of our 5 Elected Officials will be foolish and vote NO on this?

Any takers?

Looks like the answer to who's foolish is:

Cecila Jones! The one "NO" vote! Nice job! Voting to waste more tax dollars on personal vendettas.

You should be removed from office.

Shame on you.