• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
Walton County Planning Makes Strides in Completing Building Plan Reviews, Launching New Software in May

Over the past several months, the Walton County Planning Department has been working to lessen the time for the public to receive completed Building Plan Reviews (BPRs). In the past, due to the large amount of submissions, the completion of BPRs was taking approximately four to five weeks.

With a little streamlining in their processes and the addition of new staffing, they have now reduced those time to three days for BPRs in the north end of the county and five days on the south end of the county.

In March, the Planning Department received 293 applications and issued 211 permits, mostly for new single-family homes, pools, and accessory structures. There were 54 permits issued in North Walton and 157 issued in South Walton. In addition to the issued permits, some of the submitted applications are still in the comment period and are being reworked for approval or denial. These applicants also received initial comments from the Department within the 3 or 5 day turn around time.

As the Planning Department continues to streamline operations, in May, they will launch a new Community Development software solution designed by Tyler Technologies. This community development software automates governmental operations in land use planning, permitting, code enforcement case management and building inspections. With the use of built-in mobile technology, the building permitting software expedites planning, review, and enforcement.

This new software will replace the CitizenServe product currently used by the County. The new software will allow for enhanced electronic submission, review, and mark up plans which further streamlines the review cycle.

Currently, the Planning Department is working to launch the software the third week of May 2021.

In a continued effort to improve access to information, the Planning Department is also now offering a Project Review Map that is open to the public. This map provides information on projects scheduled for public meetings in 2021.

The Planning Department Project Review Map can be accessed at https://arcg.is/14vCyy.

If you should have any questions, please contact the Planning and Development Department at 850-267-1955.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
In a continued effort to improve access to information, the Planning Department is also now offering a Project Review Map that is open to the public. This map provides information on projects scheduled for public meetings in 2021.

The Planning Department Project Review Map can be accessed at https://arcg.is/14vCyy.

This is a major step forward.​

Stevenkhall

Beach Crab
Feb 27, 2015
Last month the County also hired me to work full time as its land use attorney. I am assigned to work on all land use related issues and am working out of my new office within the Planning Department offices in Freeport. I am looking forward to working with this good staff, the citizens, the County Attorney and the BOCC in continually improving the quality of the review process and the final work product.
My new email is halsteve@co.walton.fl.us.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Last month the County also hired me to work full time as its land use attorney. I am assigned to work on all land use related issues and am working out of my new office within the Planning Department offices in Freeport. I am looking forward to working with this good staff, the citizens, the County Attorney and the BOCC in continually improving the quality of the review process and the final work product.
You either have the patience of a saint or a persecution fetish; either way good luck. Glad to know there's a dedicated (licensed) legal opinion in planning.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
:welcome: