• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As reported on WZEP AM 1460

MAJOR UPSET IN LOCAL ELECTIONS
Walton Voters Keep Chapman, Skipper; Boot Imfeld, Meadows

Tuesday's Florida primaries saw several upsets and a few surprises as over 13,000 county voters made their voices heard.

Supervisor of Elections Bobby Beasley said everything went smoothly throughout the day. "The voting went very good. We didn't get the turnout we would like but it looks like a 30% turnout."

3WNSP8Y8QdA-gaXtLdqLMMPQGL-V4g0IxMPyuCBUPzTDdYA4IkNNMroxMDk-ZXDTeGfDUy4em6_plwIJ7QVc45xXERvDEaJbE_e76zFi1HIoXxaOYOEHmYAN-MUwuBr4MCGa0InEOcv4XXQ6UlZXaAFrSYZFtfxn6iwKEIU=s0-d-e1-ft

Incumbent Rhonda Skipper, Walton County Tax Collector, soundly defeated challenger Patty Lynch with an astounding 10,373 to 2,597 vote. "I'm very humbled and cant express my appreciation enough. The real heroes tonight are the employees. I am thankful to the Lord and the people of Walton County for their trust and faith in me." In one of the more testier campaigns, Lynch launched several attack ads against Skipper and employees of the Tax Collector that resulted in her being served with a cease & desist letter and still facing possible legal action.

dPGN8d84hfew8mMCVaNcqLzsHBCTIFLhAD0KcX6nxm613N5nyl1bHFz26r_FfGcrtjFT7s0xu2JZQ-RbBg0sZrZ9P9pYBLwpg8coKcFLwTyKjwslI3OhsgBLS3UlPJFJSgCf7dD12VKJq1giYDpenrmPhqX_JqwgXmJV1yo=s0-d-e1-ft

Walton County District 1 Commissioner Bill Chapman won his race against local businessman and community activist Bill Fletcher and David Kramer. Chapman garnered 4,296 votes with Fletcher winning a close second at 3,960. Kramer finished third with only 1,734. "Its unfortunate that we had outside influences coming in trying to influence these races but the people seen through it and re-elected me. I don't take orders from Washington. I answer only to the residents of Walton County, said Chapman.

YB_d7KMU1IQRZsVAbt9s-fDk9sDttn-fQZubjX3UsZM8QAX2f6OTJdydQdLpDA-1oJslV_duAqhSlh2jZh7qNeQP8kvHTN_nepAqYTkCkCKTG_u5EdIEkKgJXD8-w8afVkYUBzML0vPbQezZa57JyZUyeen3KOPcVzPhX-M=s0-d-e1-ft

In a stunning upset, outsider and Army veteran Melanie Nipper defeated incumbent County Commissioner Bill Imfeld in District 3. Nipper received the support of "Our Generation," a political group that poured thousands of dollars into various county races. Imfeld, a retired FBI agent, lost by 742 votes. John Dixon garnered a respectable 27.95% of the vote in that race. "Win or loose, I'm at peace about this," said Dixon." "God is in control at the end of the day and I know I gave it my best."

In other races, Florida State Representative Matt Gaetz of Fort Walton Beach, defeated State Representative Greg Evers and former Marine Cris Dosev, and 5 other candidates for the COngressional seat of Jeff Miller, who is retiring.

74tnrKRE07LaRibV7OdxLy9CmC1a7wUC0HSeVK45-3LD5VjsxRv7eU0Z-XV694WgBKoXN4lD90kI2JO5UzAwZnyvPm6Z2PLpBE3gS63bGQs5fr0Sn3i5ltm_LVRM2Sn5iNjb8AYRVPTwHJng39AC1JJNzg9UAg1fX24Aqn0=s0-d-e1-ft

Marsha Winegarner defeated Jeri Michie for District 4 School Board by 137 votes. The margin could be contested by Michie because it is within 1%. However, as of midnight Tuesday, Michie had not inidcated her desire to ask for a recount.

Perhaps the most closely watched race was for County Commissioner District 5 where former Mailman Tony Anderson easily defeated longtime Commissioner Cindy Meadows. Anderson's folksy ways and easy demeanor sharply contrasted the non-nonsense and often terse Meadows, who had been the subject of a Grand Jury investigation last year where she was publicly reprimanded for her role in a scandal at the county's Planning Department. She still faces a lawsuit by a former county employee in that case.

nVTK3s-9iAbMmMcXKfJ4MHzHvedufrtcU4BDDTsbUiHYXFrDX8kjaFVs2c6qTmBG9HDc4sqxd1GRsho1u3Z9ENZQBTHBEMwy0gB0-sjO0DIMTvKR5wWEP4rygd7iiGka4r4x_Z4EPDWRnZBvuhYPoORqexeXZ_jKU9wgtzs=s0-d-e1-ft

A, Russell Hughes won his race against longtime educator Jennifer T, Nick for Walton County School Superintendent. Hughes, current Principal at Walton High School, congratulated Nick and her family and expressed his deep appreciation for her dedication to children and work ethic. "I have a plan and I'm ready to bring a level of success to all of our schools like we have been blessed to do at Walton High."

Tuesday's winners will face off in November for the General Election. You can see a complete list of winners and tabulations at www.votewalton.com.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Very sad to see Cindy Meadows go. She was the first ever woman to serve on the Walton County BCC and the only commissioner to really represent our interests in South Walton. She's only one person though and it just isn't enough. I'm afraid we're back to the good old boy politics more than ever before. Not a good move for Walton County, imo.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
The SOE just posted a pie chart with the following info;

"The 2016 Primary Election in Walton County was the first Primary Election that more people voted before Election Day than on Election Day (51.3% before Election Day). Also, we recorded our highest turnout in a Primary Election since 2004."

The SOE is proud of the turnout and I think it was horrible. The fact that this was the highest turnout (at only 30%) since 2004 should tell people just how disenfranchised the voters in this county are. Given that "meaningful change" seems to be just a catch phrase and has been for many, many, many years should tell us all something/

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
So Ginger, what would you do to increase turnout? Voting is out there and known to all; very convenient with absentee ballots, two weeks of early voting, and then of course, the big one on election day. I don't know that anyone has been disenfranchised unless they choose to be so. We can only vote for the candidates who choose to step out and put themselves forward for consideration. If it's the choice of candidates that offends, then consider running for office yourself...or convince a friend you admire and are willing to support to do so. After two unsuccessful tries at running for public office myself (in 2000 and 2004), I wasn't personally offended, but it was a humbling experience. At 7:30 or so on election night, there can be only one. As one of our current county officials observed during one of those campaigns, "it's sometimes a lot better to have your friends estimated than enumerated." That said, I'm convinced that everybody needs to run for public office at least once in their life if they think they have something to offer.

If your party choice isn't represented, what's in a party label or registration choice if the other (perhap, your) major party can't or won't field viable candidates? Shoot, I even went and re-registered after 12 years as NPA to be able to cast a meaningful ballot in this cycle -- it didn't hurt my conscience a bit. I voted on the first day of early voting at the S Walton Annex. I was the 12th voter that day, and the only person in the office apart from the staff and half dozen or so poll workers when I voted at 9:30 am or so. Took me all of 5 minutes to get through the process. Add another investment of the 10 minutes or so it took me to go in and change registration back in July (again, the only one in the office other than staff...and most of that 10 minutes was chit-chat with the lady working there). Admittedly, I'm retired and have the luxury of time to go do all that....but there's lunch hours, Saturdays during early voting, absentee ballot, etc., where a determined voter can carve out the time it takes to do so. I will be changing my registration back to NPA after November's general election....but disenfranchised?...Nah. There's always choices for those who choose to exercise their right to vote.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
When you see the same people elected year in and year out with no real change it does disenfranchise voters. Every time the County pays out money in lawsuits either for Sunshine violations or not adhering to the LDC/Comp plans (several of those) or when there are lawsuits in regard to Customary Use of our beaches (simple solution, give the beaches back to the public where it rightfully and legally belongs) you really can't blame people for being disenfranchised. When you see County officials pandering to special interest (SBA) certain builders/developers, giving tax breaks and/or other incentives, (Love's) practically give away land along with all the other incentives or paying millions and millions for a parking lot, I beg to differ with you. It does disenfranchise voters.

People don't really even have to turnout, they can do mail in ballots. I voted. I exercised my right to vote but I don't see any meaningful change coming in the next 2 years. I see more of them same. I'll fight for change in 2 years as well. I'll vote again.

SoWal needs roads, NoWal needs job and until people realize that as long as they continue to vote for the same people who got us where we are today, nothing is going to change! It really is just that simple.

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Ginger, I think I understand, and perhaps share, some of your concerns. The question is not disenfranchisement, since we agree that folks can easily and sometimes do vote. I do agree with with you that a 30% turnout (while it might be a high point as far as record keeping goes) is abysmal when it could be much higher. It's been said that the definition of insanity is going the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I say Yes! to all the needs you expressed (unless you're talking about a "back beach" road that runs next to my house up here in the woods)....which brings me to another thought. Having worked for the county in a fairly significant position for several years I can assure you that everybody sees their stance on any given issue as "the right thing to do"....Our Commissioners have to walk a fine line between what is economically feasible, what benefits the most folks while harming the least, and what can be accomplished with the resources they have available to them. Yes, there are pulls on them from many sides -- the developers who would pave all of south Walton....the environmentalists who would give it all to the state....the state, who seems at the moment like a developer intent on extracting dollars from their public trust...to all flavors in between all these interests -- in reality, there aren't any simple solutions. None of them can act alone -- it always takes three. As to the recent elections, we the people (not necessarily me, but the voters at large who voted) just turned out two of three of the Commissioners up for re-election. Is this not change? Will it make a difference? Time will tell.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Ginger, I think I understand, and perhaps share, some of your concerns. The question is not disenfranchisement, since we agree that folks can easily and sometimes do vote. I do agree with with you that a 30% turnout (while it might be a high point as far as record keeping goes) is abysmal when it could be much higher. It's been said that the definition of insanity is going the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I say Yes! to all the needs you expressed (unless you're talking about a "back beach" road that runs next to my house up here in the woods)....which brings me to another thought. Having worked for the county in a fairly significant position for several years I can assure you that everybody sees their stance on any given issue as "the right thing to do"....Our Commissioners have to walk a fine line between what is economically feasible, what benefits the most folks while harming the least, and what can be accomplished with the resources they have available to them. Yes, there are pulls on them from many sides -- the developers who would pave all of south Walton....the environmentalists who would give it all to the state....the state, who seems at the moment like a developer intent on extracting dollars from their public trust...to all flavors in between all these interests -- in reality, there aren't any simple solutions. None of them can act alone -- it always takes three. As to the recent elections, we the people (not necessarily me, but the voters at large who voted) just turned out two of three of the Commissioners up for re-election. Is this not change? Will it make a difference? Time will tell.

I think a 30% turnout says very clearly that people fee less empowered by their vote, at the very least,
a real disconnect from their government. If nothing else, it is polarizing, NoWal vs SoWal or vice versa.

We turned out one candidate, the other was bought and paid for ensuring that a few developers will continue to have their way in SoWal. People who actively follow decisions made by the BCC understand who the 3 votes are and that business will continue just as it always has. When government becomes predictable, the results of their actions are predictable as well.

The 2 new Commissioners are not even seated yet and one of their votes is entirely predictable. Wait for it, watch for it.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think a 30% turnout says very clearly that people fee less empowered by their vote, at the very least,
a real disconnect from their government. If nothing else, it is polarizing, NoWal vs SoWal or vice versa.

We turned out one candidate, the other was bought and paid for ensuring that a few developers will continue to have their way in SoWal. People who actively follow decisions made by the BCC understand who the 3 votes are and that business will continue just as it always has. When government becomes predictable, the results of their actions are predictable as well.

The 2 new Commissioners are not even seated yet and one of their votes is entirely predictable. Wait for it, watch for it.
Wait a minute, there was no disenfranchisement. People voted for their candidate, whoever that was. The only people who are/ were disenfranchised were those that decided it wasn't worth their time. What I see or read here is you weren't happy about the outcome and because of that you are angry. Want to be upset, be upset with those people you know who didn't vote and change the mindset of my vote don't count, because this year mine did. We had some close races and hopefully put some candidates/ politicians that there are no guarantees anymore. 30% turnout is terrible but it takes people to get others to vote.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
There is a feeling among many of our citizens that voting does not change anything so why bother. Much of the reason for that is how candidates have ran their races. As North Lake pointed out, it takes three votes for a commissioner to actually do anything. So promising you will do things you personally cannot deliver breeds discontent. As far as who actually won, people are smart and usually vote their interests. To increase turnout you just have to convince more people that it is in their interests to vote.