Walton County School Board budget discussion

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Rollin' Tide, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Just an additional note - with traditional scheduling a class can be offered more times a day than with block scheduling, so you'll actually increase your ability to be flexible with your schedule and still get the classes you need. So you're more likely to be able to schedule the high school classes you need for earlier in the day and be free to leave high school a little earlier to go attend college class. With the block schedule, sometimes the only block you can get a class is one particular block, which might not match up with getting to a college class.

2. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

While it doesn't help the immediate situation, they're making good progress on the NWFSC SoWal campus and they should be offering some college basics (English 101, etc.) out there within walking distance of SWHS by this time next year.

3. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Yeah, I think that is the case now with the Walton High students, they have the DFS campus of NWFSC right in town, so it probably worked better for some of them.

4. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

That would be wonderful - is it really true? I was told about a year ago that the course offerings at this location would not be those that would be of interest to the high school kids. That it was going to be geared more towards adults looking to expand their business education. I sure hope the info I was given is wrong because it would simplify a lot of lives (and save a lot of gas!).

5. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

From what I hear, plans for that campus are still being finalized and I think they're not quite sure right now what they're going to do with the whole complex. But it would just seem to make sense to have at least some basics out there like they do for every other branch campus. The only real persistent rumor I've heard for the location is that they want to move the Choctawhatchee Bay Alliance offices out there.

6. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Even if classes are not offered at the new NWFSC SoWal location, our kids could go to the Chatauqua Neighborhood Center in DeFuniak, at least the ones who would be going directly from school or from east of Santa Rosa Beach - closer than going to Niceville via Hwy 20, don't have to deal with 98, and from SWHS it should take roughly 35 minutes, depending on traffic lights in DFS. Most of the classes offered are once-a-week evening classes, even now.