• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
WCSB FACES $5 MILLION DEFICIT

Oct 17th, 2008 |
By ASHLEY AMASON

At the Oct. 7, 2008 regular Walton County School Board meeting, Chief Financial Officer Jim McCall presented a financial deficit summary to the board. The initial budget deficit is $3.1 million. Additionally, there will be a four-percent reduction, totaling $550,000, in state funding; a two-percent holdback in state funding, totaling $275,000; a possible 1.5-percent drop in property tax revenues equaling $700,000. “Therefore, the minimum budget deficit,” McCall said, “is $5,275,000.”

http://defuniakherald.com/?p=488

At this rate, will the district will be broke in two years?:eek:

Last edited:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Mildred held her ground when voting on the budget even though it may have hurt her politically. The slash and burn mentality of some posters/voters is sad. Especially when it comes to education and safety. The budget deficit is a result.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Mildred held her ground when voting on the budget even though it may have hurt her politically. The slash and burn mentality of some posters/voters is sad. Especially when it comes to education and safety. The budget deficit is a result.

No it is not. The amount that was challenged was in the capital outlay portion of the budget not the operating portion. And what was cut were dollars set aside for land purchases, the board had not purchased land, and indicated that they had no intention to make such a purchase, so the taxpayers asked that the money be returned to them to purchase things such as food and gasoline.

The teacher's union representative specifically asked would any dollars be cut from the operating portion of the budget and they were told no. It was then that four members of the board voted to cut taxes, while Wilkerson "stuck to her guns" and voted against the tax cut.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008

WRONG AGAIN

Open Mouth insert foot. Is .76 Really less than .70 once again.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
WRONG AGAIN

Open Mouth insert foot. Is .76 Really less than .70 once again.

It was rolled back as requested, and as I have tried to explain to you in another thread. Have the Property Appraiser explain to you how the state and county allocate funds.

IG, I would like to see you get involved in the community in a positive manner....it would do you good and possibly be good for the community.:wave:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Seagrovegirl: what a great idea. I would love to see a lot of people who post on here get involved to make a positive difference. There is lot that needs to be done and the involvement from citizens here is pretty pathetic.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Seagrove Girl

I am very involved in Walton County and in a positive way - I am positive that many of our elected officials involved in setting budgets and millage rates do not know what they are talking about.

You continue to show the lack of knowledge that you have concerning the millage rate.

I suggest that you contact the State Dept. of Revenue and ask them to explain the Roll Back rate and what is defined as a millage rate increase.

Hint: The state has nothing to do with allocating funds. They simply require you to comply with a little thing called the Truth In Millage act.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Seagrove Girl

I am very involved in Walton County and in a positive way - I am positive that many of our elected officials involved in setting budgets and millage rates do not know what they are talking about.

You continue to show the lack of knowledge that you have concerning the millage rate.

I suggest that you contact the State Dept. of Revenue and ask them to explain the Roll Back rate and what is defined as a millage rate increase.

Hint: The state has nothing to do with allocating funds. They simply require you to comply with a little thing called the Truth In Millage act.