• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ya know, I just think that we owe our kids a bit more than just "doing things like they have always been done". Sometimes the old ways are not the best ways, especially when times, cultures, attitudes, families, society, the world, the economy, education (i could go on and on) are all so different than "in the old days".

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I doubt corporal punishiment would be effective in every school in our district or for every family in our district. I understand you concerns about having the policy in place.

So, educators feel that corporal punishment has its place and is still effective in today's schools? is it really effective in some schools but not others?

Last edited:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Believe it or not, there are places in this county where those attitudes about corporal punishment have not changed. I would venture to say that the more north you go in the county, the stronger those feeliings and attitudes are held. It is an incredibly diverse county. That is brought home to me every time I run. What you observe in Rosemary Beach is wholly different that what you observe in Darlington, at least in terms of attitudes about certain issues, i.e., corporal punishment among others. So, to answer your question, when parents support the use of corporal punishment, and use it in their homes, it is effective as both a deterrent and behavior modification technique. At least, that has been my observation and what some educatiors have related to me.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My biggest surprise about the policy is that in this day of lawyers and constant lawsuits, the school still allows it.

Is it because the signed permission slip is a waiver?

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
I don't get this. Ya'll act like kids are being taken in a dungeon and whipped with straps. Give me a break. I had a teacher in the 7th grade that would give you a pop in front of the class if you didn't do your homework. She only had to do it once and everyone did their homework on time the rest of the year.
One pop on the butt with a paddle is not going to leave everlasting physical, mental or emotional scars. (well, not for the student anyway) :roll:

Thanks Sunspot, you seem to be the only one on the site that I agree with. Teachers can barely control the chaos now. If you make your children act like humans at home they should be fine at school. But most of the kids I run across, I want to beat the crap out of. Act like idiots, and parents watch and smile at their little darlings. Glad mine are grown.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks Sunspot, you seem to be the only one on the site that I agree with. Teachers can barely control the chaos now. If you make your children act like humans at home they should be fine at school. But most of the kids I run across, I want to beat the crap out of. Act like idiots, and parents watch and smile at their little darlings. Glad mine are grown.

you have a point about parents not being parents, more and more these days. but that is not the issue. having teachers spank their children at school is not going to result in any improvement in the parent-child situation.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Guys, it is not like you are paddled in front of the class. Back when I took my licks, it was in the office, by the principal, with a witness to make sure that no more force was used than necessary. It stung, and hurt my pride, but I was guilty of the offense. And I moved on and graduated with honors.

I simply do not see that we are backward in any shape, form or fashion because we have a policy that you can opt out of. And Mark is right...we are a huge county with much cultural diversity, and this does not mean that any one group is better than the other. Trust me, cancelling corporal punishment as an option would be just as horrifying, if not more so, to many parents as allowing it is to the parents on this board who are against it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
i would thank you SN or give you some rep. but, alas...it is not to be.:lol:

That was well said.:clap:

that was an extra good thanks - better than a button!

and I understand the thinking on all sides. We all have something valuable to contribute - based on our own experiences, our own perspectives.

I remain unconvinced that this policy is the best we can do for children in this day and age. I would like to see a more up to date disciplinary policy in place - one that will support schools, teachers, children and families. I just think we can do better.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Sorry to weigh in on this so late but I am new to the forum.

I remember an incident several years ago, in which an Asst. Principal in NoWal severely bruised the backside of a small boy in a corporal punishment incident that resulted in the Asst. Principal being removed from his position and transfered to the bus barn. What makes this event noteworthy is that the police later showed up at the grandmothers home (she cared for the boy) and threatened that if she went to authorities the child would be removed from her home and she would be accused of child abuse. Despite being threatened, she did go public, hence the removal of the Asst. Principal. The story along with a picture of the boys backside were also published in the Defuniak Herald and the bruises did in fact cover the boys butt cheeks. Fast foward...that X Asst. Principal is now a member of the City Council for Defuniak Springs. Aww, how quickly we forget.

Last edited: