• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
A good friend of mine is applying for a $25,000 grant from Pepsi to pay for spaying/neutering and feeding abandoned and feral cats. She lives on a farm and cares for 30-40 cats at a time.

Go to Pepsi Refresh Project and search for Mosa. You can vote once a day for her cause.

Maybe the Walton County Shelter should apply for a Pepsi grant.

An individual can't take in every abandoned pet. My friend is lucky in that she has lots of property.

One of my colleagues, Department Chair of Accountancy, started taking in abandoned children from the former Soviet Union. She and her husband have adopted 8 children from there. We all said that she couldn't save every abandoned child in the former Soviet Union. She did what she could. We all assumed that she was unable to have children of her own.

She recently found out that she is pregnant. What a miracle!

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
NOT helpful, Alicica!! :lol:

Here, he spiffed up for you...

168053_1523958105634_1435071722_31130586_3515697_n.jpg

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
IF I end up in DeFuniak to get this guy, I'm stopping by your house on the way back to pop you on th head before I leave!!! <what a cutie!>

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I hate to see pets give up due to the economy. Dog/cat food, vet care, leashes/collars, etc. can get expensive. The Humane Society has a list of agencies that can help people with some expenses or provide vouchers for care and food.

Here is the link: >>>>> Trouble Affording Pet

I recently had my dog neutered for considerably less than what my vet was charging. Even though they were in the program to spay/neuter for less, they dd not tell me about the reduced rates. It wasn't until a neighbor told me about the program. I only had to wait a week longer to get my voucher to neuter my dog.

Also, raw foods (meats and fish) are considerable less expensive than processed dog food and also healthier, IMHO and based on some research I have done. It's not for everyone - (I still have trouble with the idea of giving chicken parts or fish heads to my dog) but, I have been supplementing with raw bones from the grocery. My puppy gnaws on them for hours- keeping him from gnawing on something he shouldn't. (ALWAYS MONITOR YOUR DOG WHEN EATING RAW BONES- DO NOT GIVE COOKED BONES OR YOUR DOG COULD WIND UP WITH A PERFORATED COLON) Do some research on raw food feeding online. There is lots of information available.

Look for coupons online or go to the web site of the brand you are using. Many of them have forms to fill out and they mail you coupons or have online printable ones. If you are having difficulty affording food period, call the company and see if they can send you some samples. Many of them have packages they distribute to vets when someone gets a new dog.

Buy toys after the holidays. They are usually 50% or more off or make your own. Who doesn't have old or mismatched socks?
SOCK BALL

• This takes about 5 minutes and you will need 3 or 4 holey socks
  • Use your longest sock with the smallest holes for the base
  • Roll and stuff the other socks inside
  • Tie a firm knot in the base sock above the stuffed area
  • Double the end of the base sock back over the entire ball
  • Tie a knot above the stuffed area again
  • Repeat Step 5 until you cannot tie a knot any more
  • Cut the end of the sock just above the last knot
Note: Sock balls can be washed and dried along with other dog items********************

SOCK SWING BALL

• This also takes about 5 minutes and uses 3-4 socks
  • Take 1 or 2 of your longest socks for the base
  • Roll and stuff the two other socks inside
  • Tie a knot in the base sock(s) above the stuffed area

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
STOP IT! JUST STOP IT!

I want one of each! :love: