• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Let me preface what I'm going to say about the Honor Guard. I have a ton of respect for the Sheriff's office and what they do and I'm only asking a question...not trying to start a "flame throwing" contest.

Danny perhaps you can answer this...

The Sheriff sent the Honor Guard Unit to Houston for the funeral of a Sheriff's Deputy (murdered Aug 28, 2015) to represent the Citizens of Walton County.

How many men make-up the Honor Guard?
How are these types of events funded?
Is the Honor Guard sent to all funerals for fallen officers around the Country?
Is there a travel and accommodations budget for these kind of events and if so, how big is that budget?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I really don't know much about how things are since I retired but depending on whether the guard serves as pallbearers or not the guard could number up to 13 or so. Probably in this instance about 6 would be a good guess. Unless some private citizen or company donated the money would come from the regular budget. Usually a representative(s) from the office attends officer funerals in Florida and South Alabama but who goes and when is at the discretion of the Sheriff. There used to be a line item in the budget for out-of-town travel but I don't know if that is still the case or how much is there. Of course, the sheriff can move money around the budget as he deems necessary. Hope this has been of some help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Wow.

So up to 13 people plus accommodations and travel expenses? The Sheriff is living large at taxpayer expense.

I think sending a (1) rep and/or a memorial wreath would have been more than sufficient to pay respect to a fallen officer.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I really would like to know what this is costing the taxpayers.

Being from Texas, I'm well aware of the Harris County Honor Guard. It's the largest in the entire state and third largest in the United States. HPD trained at Arlington National Cemetery with the US Army's Old Guard and I can't imagine that there is anything more befitting this fallen officer than to be honored by his own State.

If this was "assigned" by the Sheriff it also means overtime and salary costs, not to mention food, lodging, gas if they travel by automobile and round-trip plane fare if they flew....for up to 13 officer's?

Is this just to get the Sheriff and the Deputies names in the paper and mentioned by the media? It literally serves no other purpose.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Sheriff Mike will do anything to attract positive attention to himself and get positive media.

Sending the Honor Guard makes him look good. Its that simple. As for the money it costs, he doesn't care because he doesn't have to answer to anyone. Zero accountability.

If the Honor Guard wanted to go, they should have paid their own way or solicited donations from the community or local businesses.

Sounds like sheriff mike has lots of extra money lying around... yet he wants to purchase more new vehicles...

Our sheriff's department needs to be focused on increases in violent crime in the area, preperation for Spring Break 2016, parking and other tourism related challenges and not so much about creating a positive media machine to make him look good.

Thanks Misty for brining this to peoples attention. I still see several vehicles without the In God We Trust stickers. Hopefully, they'll all have them soon.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Those complaing about the Sheriff's operations should reconsider. He and his department do a very good job.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Those complaing about the Sheriff's operations should reconsider. He and his department do a very good job.

Andy, I prefaced what I had to say about the Sheriff. I have a ton of respect for the job he has done for Walton County but I am not a fan of flagrant disregard for taxpayer funding, I also understand paying respect to a fallen officer but in my opinion this was overkill. I can completely understand a memorial wreath and perhaps one (1) officer going to Houston but sending the Honor Guard (between 7 and 13 officers) when Houston one if has the largest Honor Guards in the country is beyond my comprehension.

The taxpayers would be better served if the Sheriff was a bit more reserved in his spending.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Also sent a dozen or so to the FSU Game for "security".

Remember, its end of budget year so we need to spend, spend, spend so we can show a depleated budget...

Check WCSO Facebook for photo of the group.

Someone please explain.

Andy, you like the sheriff 'cause he wont enforce private beach rights... It's that simple.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Sounds like no one really knows about the guard and it's normal practice and function. Is it public info or a secret? No one seems to know.
The Walton County Honor Guard is made up of about 13 individuals who act at the direction of the Sheriff. They are a ceremonial group who honor fallen officers and participate in other civic events.