• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
By Tom McLaughlin | 315-4435 | @TomMnwfdn | tmclaughlin@nwfdailynews.com

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - Three of five Walton County commissioners voted Tuesday to take the advice of their attorney and pay $175,000 in attorneys' fees to citizen activist Suzanne Harris.

Commission Chairwoman Cecilia Jones, however, voted against accepting the terms, and was later chewed out by Harris for trying to extend a legal battle Harris claims has cost the county $700,000.

"I told Cecilia after the vote was over that (attorney) Mark Davis told you it would cost you more money to continue this case. His recommendation was to settle and you voted against that with no regard to what's good for the county. "I said, 'You are spending what I call other peoples' money,'" Harris said after the meeting.

Commissioners Tony Anderson, Bill Chapman and Melanie Nipper voted to take Davis' recommendation and agree to pay the attorneys' fees. Commissioner Sara Comander was not present at the meeting.

Jones did not return phone calls and replied to questions via email. She declined twice to specify her reasons for casting a no vote.

"My vote today is consistent with the vote I made earlier this year to appeal the judge's ruling in this case," her email said.

Two people present at Tuesday meeting's said Jones had told Harris she voted against the settlement because she wanted a judge to hear testimony on the issue. Technical problems prevented a videotape of the meeting from being available for review, county spokesman Louis Svehla confirmed.

A judge issued an order Dec. 12 that ratified a negotiated settlement between attorneys for the county and Harris' attorney, Matt Gaetz.

It stated the county would pay Harris $175,000 to cover legal costs incurred since 2011 in a lawsuit in which she alleged the County Commission had violated the Florida Sunshine Law by retaining an attorney, George Ralph Miller, outside of a public meeting.

Santa Rosa County Circuit Judge John Simon granted a motion for summary judgment on Harris' behalf in October of 2015. The county then opted to fight a request that it pay attorneys' fees. That battle ended with the Dec. 12 agreement.

Tuesday's vote brought to a close the third of three lawsuits Harris has filed against Walton County alleging Sunshine Law violations. She has prevailed in all three cases.

Harris took issue with Jones's vote during the time set aside at each commission meeting for public comment. She said she faulted her willingness to "spend other peoples' money" and also reminded Jones that it was the county's attorneys who opened the negotiations that eventually led to the fee settlement.

Gaetz, who was elected to Congress in November, has represented Harris in all of her lawsuits against the county. He said if other county commissioners had joined Jones in opposing the awarding of attorneys fees, his client and the county would have found themselves back in court.

"They (the county) lost on summary judgment. The (Dec. 12) hearing was to determine payment," he said. "If the commission had voted to reject I would have gone back and gotten more (money). The meter would have kept running."

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The fact that C. Jones voted against this and was the only one to do so should be a red flag to all residents. She doesn't care about your tax dollars.

Shameful representation.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
The fact that C. Jones voted against this and was the only one to do so should be a red flag to all residents. She doesn't care about your tax dollars.

Shameful representation.

NOTE: The BCC meeting was NOT streamed live online yesterday. It wasn't until the meeting was almost over that the public was made aware they were having issues with the video. Ms. Harris herself had to video the portion of the meeting where the BCC voted to pay.

There is currently no record of Cecilia Jones hostile actions during that meeting but there are plenty of witnesses.

So much for Mr. Anderson's assertions in the paper that there is not an attempt to remove online videos.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Well said Mr. Miller, well said!

Posted Jan 4, 2017 at 3:00 AM

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Continually amazed

Those of us who have followed the saga of Ms. Suzanne Harris and her action against Walton County never cease to be amazed at the wasteful and irresponsible behavior of some members of Walton County government.

In case you haven't been following along, three times since 2009, Ms. Harris sued Walton County for not playing by the rules of open government. Three times the courts ruled in her favor. Her legal fees, which the county must pay, approximate $175,000. The county's legal fees are more than equal that amount. And let's remember, long ago she offered to settle, if Walton County admitted guilt and issued an apology. It refused.

A few weeks ago, after losing for the third time, County Attorney Mark Davis agreed to settle with Ms. Harris, subject to approval of the Board of County Commissioners.

Last week the BCC voted on that settlement. Commissioner Sara Comander, a party to this soap opera from the beginning, was absent. Commissioner Bill Chapman voted to settle, as did the two new commissioners, Melanie Nipper and Tony Anderson. But the Chair of the BCC, Cecilia Jones, voted against the settlement, stating she was "voting her conscience."

That's a comment that causes you to blow hot coffee out your nose! One has to wonder what conscience she's referring to. The one that caused her to spend $40,000 to decorate her office at taxpayers' expense when she was elected two years ago? The one that caused her to campaign for Tony Anderson and allow him to use a county vehicle without compensation to the county? The one that caused her to publicly call then-Commissioner Cindy Meadows a "Jezebel"?

What moral principle is at stake in Ms. Jones' decision to not approve the settlement with Ms. Harris? Is it the principle that says, "Spend as much taxpayers' money as possible to punish people who make you look stupid?" Or, "Never admit you screwed up?" Most likely, Ms. Jones' conscience told her to do what her mentor wanted, the taxpayers be damned.

- Art Miller, Miramar Beach

www.nwfdailynews.com/opinion/20170104/letter-to-editor-continually-amazed#vf-widget-art-A3793AE8-FEF3-43BF-9A71-B17E25C9E9D7-pub2884

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I used to think C. Jones was just arrogant and ignorant.

I'm starting to think she's actually dangerous. A danger to our County.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
paraphrase from dfunk herald...

Harris: I would have been satisfied with no money and an apology. There is a vendetta against me.
Jones: Have a Happy New Year.
Harris. Oh. I will.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
paraphrase from dfunk herald...

Harris: I would have been satisfied with no money and an apology. There is a vendetta against me.
Jones: Have a Happy New Year.
Harris. Oh. I will.

Either the paper or you @Mike Jones conveniently omitted the part where Ms. Jones spat at Ms. Harris that she voted her conscious. I was there. I heard it. While the video of that meeting is conveniently missing from the County web site allegedly due to technical errors, the audio portion is not.

Paraphrasing using different words is a world away from C. Jones personal actions and the sarcasm of her words!

Last edited:

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
From the Defuniak Herald...This is NOT paraphrased its a direct quote.

The $175,000 payment was approved in a 3-1 BCC vote at the Dec. 27 meeting, on a motion by Anderson and with BCC Chair Cecilia Jones voting no.
Later during the course of the meeting, Harris came forward to address the commissioners. She was critical of the amounts that the county had spent in connection with her lawsuit and said that an apology rather than of payment of her legal fees would have been acceptable to her. She charged that that a vendetta was in existence against her.
Jones denied any vendetta on her part. “I voted my conscience,” she said of her vote to deny the payment. She told Harris to have a Happy New Year.
“Oh, I will,” Harris responded.

Since there is no voice inflection to type written words, the sarcasm spat at Ms. Harris wouldn't be included in this report.

I'll even grant you Suzanne Harris is feisty and says pretty much what's on her mind but she isn't employed by the Citizens of this County...Cecilia Jones is and her venomous response was uncalled for!!