• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Congrats my fellow public servants. I want to encourage you to vote yes when the time comes. Don't let the comments sway you from protecting your job. I have read what Mike Adkinson has said and if he really had any realistic knowledge he would know that if he is elected he will be involved in the negotiations. At least he has said he is not ANTI-UNION which will concern the Republican Party which seems to have problems with UNIONS. Mike was even a member for 13 years, so hopefully, should he win the election, he will be more apt to work with LABOR than against them. Hopefully Danny will also be on thed same page as to working with LABOR than fighting with them. Had the politicians been addressing the concerns of those who worked for them maybe they would not be in this situation. Lets look at some events that may have caused the employees to consider UNIONIZING.
1> Being charged $100 a month for driving there vehicle home. I know that was recinded, but if they could have they would have.
2> Not being compensated for hours worked. As I understand, Deputies are compensated for overtime with Compensatory Time but are limited in using it which I understand that to be a violation of the FLSA. I had a friend who retired and had a large amount of comp time he lost when he retired. NOT FAIR TO HIM OR HIS FAMILY.
3> 2 Female Deputies basically terminated for being pregnant.
These are just the things that I know of and am sure there are other HORROR Stories going back farther than Ralph or even Quinn.
Brothers and Sisters, I'll stand with you for equitable treatment, fair pay and just cause. Take the politics out of who gets promoted, or who gets the plum assignments and at least start having a say in those things you can have a hand in changing.:D

Last edited:

crazytimes

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
How can they unionize?

If you don't join the PBA? I heard they had to have 52% to get this. The PBA costs money every month. I also head Mike Adkinson is not for the PBA. I don't think the deputies are doing this. I have not heard one of them say this. I have always heard they were against it. I do agree with everything you wrote just don't see it happening.

Congrats my fellow public servants. I want to encourage you to vote yes when the time comes. Don't let the comments sway you from protecting your job. I have read what Mike Adkinson has said and if he really had any realistic knowledge he would know that if he is elected he will be involved in the negotiations. At least he has said he is not ANTI-UNION which will concern the Republican Party which seems to have problems with UNIONS. Mike was even a member for 13 years, so hopefully, should he win the election, he will be more apt to work with LABOR than against them. Hopefully Danny will also be on thed same page as to working with LABOR than fighting with them. Had the politicians been addressing the concerns of those who worked for them maybe they would not be in this situation. Lets look at some events that may have caused the employees to consider UNIONIZING.
1> Being charged $100 a month for driving there vehicle home. I know that was recinded, but if they could have they would have.
2> Not being compensated for hours worked. As I understand, Deputies are compensated for overtime with Compensatory Time but are limited in using it which I understand that to be a violation of the FLSA. I had a friend who retired and had a large amount of comp time he lost when he retired. NOT FAIR TO HIM OR HIS FAMILY.
3> 2 Female Deputies basically terminated for being pregnant.
These are just the things that I know of and am sure there are other HORROR Stories going back farther than Ralph or even Quinn.
Brothers and Sisters, I'll stand with you for equitable treatment, fair pay and just cause. Take the politics out of who gets promoted, or who gets the plum assignments and at least start having a say in those things you can have a hand in changing.:D

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
CM,
They only need I believe 30% to have a vote and only need 51% to certify the UNION. As to whether Mike likes it is of no concern to me, but according to the NWF Daily News he belonged to the PBA for 13 years. Yes there are membership dues but I have yet to find much you can belong to for free and it does cost money to operate. Well if I was in the situation they were in and did not know who I could trust, I would not tell anyone if I could avoid it. It will not be unheard of for harrassment from management to come into play but having the public behind you and a good lawyer will prevent the crap from happening. Sometimes good things come from the struggle we've had to get there. Life is not always easy. There are 3 police type UNIONS I know of, PBA, FOP, TEAMSTERS. The Teamsters are the Union helping to organize Panama City PD.

crazytimes

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
How do they come into getting fair pay? When it is the cc that do that? Are they not the ones that say yes we will give you this or that for this or that? I have just heard most don't want a union. But I guess we will wait and see what happens. It would be nice to see them get paid for the hours they actually work or holidays. Like everyone else in the area. But bringing the pay up think that could be a long shot. I read it to be he belonged and he isnt any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
That is a negotiated item and sometimes it can be a long process. Wages may not be their first concern, but their are other items that could be of benefit to them. CM you may be right and waiting and seeing is good, but if you see a Deputy tell them you support him and appreciate them and leave it at that. You may be suprised at how support will make them feel.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I am sorry Deputies, here I thought you all were smart enough to decide to Unionize yourself. Obviously Mike does not see it that way. Based on the interview on channel 7 news, unless I misinterpeted, this is RJ getting you all to protect yourself. Sounds as though he is more concerned at the possibility of not being able to replace some of you. Stay the course. I was not going to vote for Sheriff, because of comments made by their supporter, but I may reconsider and vote for Danny based on some of his comments on channel 7. Stay the course Deputies. Need help contact me.

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008
That’s not exactly how I interrupted the interview. From my view the main question by Adkinson was WHY. Why now, why didn’t Ralph do this 8 years ago for the deputies if it was such a grand idea. Why would an out going "Lame Duck" sheriff try to push this through before he goes out. Ralph has had no allegiance to any of his people up til now, so were suppose to believe he has done this out of the goodness of his heart, I doubt that one very seriously.

I am quite sure that the deputies are smart enough to do what is best for them, if that means unionizing then so be it, if not then that’s their decision. What’s the reason for trying to run it down their throats FF2?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
First of all, I think the Deputies are more than capable of making their own decision. 2. I don't believe RJ is behind this and you are right he has no allegiance to his folks. 3. I think maybe they know what has occurred after every new administration comes into office and they are working to protect themselves. Also by law and I will have to find it in the Florida Statues but it would be illegal for RJ to be involved, so don't give RJ any credit for this, lameduck or not, I don't believe RJ will be negotiating a contract before January. As far as running it down their throats, NOT, I just want the employees of WCSO to be treated fairly and sometimes they have to stand up and demand it and maybe this is the way it has to be. Just so you know I have been advocating in numerous post in here and other forums to offer assistance any way I could to help them. I truly want them to succeed. What have you offered. Your support for a certain candidate, I just indicated I may vote for Griffith because of his comments but that decision has not been made firm. I will be more than happy to stand beside them and support them both as a TAXPAYER and a Union Member.

leo101

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2008
Dont get me wrong, I'm all for fair treatment and all that goes along with that. But why not give the new sheriff a fair shake, who knows he might even surprise us. And if the deputies arent happy in an agreed upon amount of time then go for unionizing. I personally am not pro or con for a union, but when you start collective bargining you sometimes loose more than you might have gained.