• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PBA Rep

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2008
Here to keep deputies from making a sound decision? I'm here so both sides of the story can be heard, and not just YOU with your pro union hand out wanting their money screaming for them to "VOTE PBA"..

And the reason everyone is on here under the cloke of a fiticious names (as you put it) is to keep from being ridiculed and called names by upper brass at the sheriff's office that are pushing for this union. Even you yourself hid under that same cloke to begin with, so how are we to know you are who you say you are now?

And as far as the candidates working under the PBA or why they took jobs at an agency covered by the PBA, who knows. Even more who cares, I am quite sure it had nothing to do with the PBA being there. And I am not even sure the PBA were involved in either of those two agency's at the time they started their career at those prospective departments.

As many have said before, this whole PBA thing stinks with Ralph's stamp of approval all over it. Why not wait and give the new man a chance.[/quote/]

Leo101, If I were wanting to hide my identity, I would not have made my screen name PBA Rep.

Still, if unionization is so bad, why did both candidates go to work where they had a solid PBA collective bargaining contracts, the contract at each of their agencies wasn't started because they did not trust their administrations, it was started to secure their rights and benefits. Without a contract you are at the mercy of whoever the Sheriff is.... without everyone being treated equally.
So your side of the issue is to leave your fate in the hands of whoever and hope for the best? Is this what I'm getting from your response?

Remember Vote PBA

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
PBA Rep - I couple questions -

How much do you charge officers in dues to be members?

I was looking through the PBA site, and couldn't find any budgetary information for your organization, is that available online or could you provide it?

Also, how much money does your organization spend on lobbying at the state level?

Last edited:

PBA Rep

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2008
Dues for your chapter are 30.00 per month and as fa as monies spent, I will have to refer you to our main office in Tallahassee. 800-733-3722

Back to the Unionization issue.

I don't know who D.G.'s number two will be, but if I was given the correct information M. A.'s, number two pick just retired from a State law Enforcement Agency in a Management Position and is very familiar with a PBA Contract and should be comfortable working within the guidelines of a PBA Contract. In fact he even worked with me on some issues.....

Remember Both Sheriff Candidates have enjoyed the benefits of working under a PBA collective bargaining contract, Why shouldn't you?

Also after the election on Tuesday and we see who the new sheriff will be, I will go into detail to just how well the new sheriff benefited from having a PBA negotiated collective bargaining agreement.

Vote PBA

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Dues for your chapter are 30.00 per month and as fa as monies spent, I will have to refer you to our main office in Tallahassee. 800-733-3722

Is that a standard for all chapters or do they vary across the state? If the latter, what do you use in calculating what a particular charter pays?

PBA Rep

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2008
Is that a standard for all chapters or do they vary across the state? If the latter, what do you use in calculating what a particular charter pays?

It is pretty standard. State Law Enforcement, North West Chapter, North Central Chapter and Big Bend are the same. This is who I deal with. North West is a Chapter not a Charter

Remember Vote PBA

WhoDat

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2008

Back to the Unionization issue.

I don't know who D.G.'s number two will be, but if I was given the correct information M. A.'s, number two pick just retired from a State law Enforcement Agency in a Management Position and is very familiar with a PBA Contract and should be comfortable working within the guidelines of a PBA Contract. In fact he even worked with me on some issues.....

Remember Both Sheriff Candidates have enjoyed the benefits of working under a PBA collective bargaining contract, Why shouldn't you?

Also after the election on Tuesday and we see who the new sheriff will be, I will go into detail to just how well the new sheriff benefited from having a PBA negotiated collective bargaining agreement.

Vote PBA

I'm pretty sure Chapman(who I'm told will be #2) DID not work for the State, but the Police department. A good man, by the way!

Look, us citizens are just afraid that your gonna hold our elected reps (including the sheriff) hostages for more taxes. Can you say anything to ease those fears? If not, your not going to sell it to us...maybe the deputies (who will also pay higher taxes) but not us!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Beachy, at least you have toned down the rhetoric. negotiations are just that, there is a 2 way street, some give and take. Just as you are afraid of holding elected officials hostage, every time there is a change in Sheriff there are deputies who's jobs are held in the balance to pay those who supported him. It is time for that to change. Chapman should be well aware of that, ask him what was done to him when he was demoted from the #2 to a road deputy. I have no issue with the top 3 or 4 people that any new Sheriff wants to bring in but those mid level supervisors, Lt. and SGT should be left to do their jobs without the interference of the POLITICIANS.

WhoDat

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2008
so, the answer is......

Beachy, at least you have toned down the rhetoric. negotiations are just that, there is a 2 way street, some give and take. Just as you are afraid of holding elected officials hostage, every time there is a change in Sheriff there are deputies who's jobs are held in the balance to pay those who supported him. It is time for that to change. Chapman should be well aware of that, ask him what was done to him when he was demoted from the #2 to a road deputy. I have no issue with the top 3 or 4 people that any new Sheriff wants to bring in but those mid level supervisors, Lt. and SGT should be left to do their jobs without the interference of the POLITICIANS.

How about my question? Are we going to be looking at a bloated budget request from the S.O. because of the PBA coming in? I was actually asking the PBA rep. And if the candidates are watching, this is where they should jump in. Will this increase the S.O. budget more significantly that its usual yearly increase? There are roads to pave and maintain, you know.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Beachy,
That is possible, shouldn't people be compensated for the work they do and is it unreasonable to expect to see an increase in pay for the work you do? Isn't one of the government mandates to provide for security for its residents? If that means I have to pay some more to ensure that I have police, fire, ems then I am good with that, I also believe teachers and other public employees are underpaid. I also feel our military members are under paid yet we can spend BILLIONS and TRILLIONS overseas and we can't even help our own employees. Can there be more efficiency in Government, sure there can. The Walton County Taxpayers Association have supported the Deputies in the past and have expressed those folks needed a pay raise. So can your taxes increase to pay someone who may have to risk their lives for your protection, because thats what they feel their calling is, then yes and I will and have gladly paid them. Before you go here, that if these folks are so underpaid let them look for other jobs, I wonder what it cost to train and retain and outfit a deputy. Maybe you should walk a mile in a Deputies shoes before you think it might cost to much to provide you with some sense of security.

FF2, let the new Sheriff take over. He may find that we can do without having a deputy on every corner. He could cut positions and use some of those savings to give the remaining employees a great raise, still returning some funds back to the taxpayer. This would not be possible with a union.