• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
I am really shocked at the lack of NEW books at the Coastal Branch. I can't seem to find any purchased after Jun 2009. I have asked numerous times and I get the same response. There is no funding for the Library. And that they have not been able to purchase new books for a while. I asked and was informed that they did not execute their complete FY 2009 budget and the funds have not been released back to them. They are still waiting. I assume I (which is not wise) that the unused funds are going to the other services snack fund accounts.

This is a sad situation. Our Walton County citizens both young and old need this vital service. We must invest in the education and the continued education of our citizens or all that Walton County is working toward will be to no avail. I am a retire military officer and worked many years in force structure (planning the future) while taking care of todays force. The same philosophy could be used here. Learn from history, examine today and focus on tomorrow. The economy is in a sad state of affairs. Most are looking at any way to save money. The library should be there for all to use with up to date books. It seems that there are more people are using the Library each time I go to the Coastal Branch.

We have many friends here and away (that have vacation homes here or visit) and so many refer to this wonderful county as "Walnut County". It is an embarassment. And it is the leadership they refer to not the residents. I have talked with many that like to visit but don't want to invest because of how tax dollars are invested back (or lack of) into the community.

Libraries are right up top with Fire, Police, and Schools. We must fund the library. I have asked when the county budget meetings are held and when they are announced and no one seems to know. They must not adveritise because they think a concerned citizen might show up.

Education is the key to success. Walton County Officials please open your eyes.

I happened upon and interesting post and had to insert it.......

""The WCTA conducted a non-scientific survey in 2007 concerning the priorities for funding of county programs and agency's. Although this survey is now 2 years old we believe that the study still has merit as we are faced with funding priorities. Over 1300 people participated in this survey in Walton County.

We will probably update this survey after this years budget process.

http://www.waltontaxpayers.org/PDF Files/SurveyResults.pdf

This is a link to the original 4-page survey.

http://www.waltontaxpayers.org/PDF Files/Survey Handout.pdf

wcta.gif

Last edited by WCTA; 09-02-2009 at 10:23 PM. ""

:bang::bang::bang:Just found the above post interesting and had to insert it.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I, too, am disappointed in the library's book purchases. Not only are there few new books; the ones that are purchased confuse me. One may find a lot of "light" reading from a religious point of view; there are lots of books about what appears to be some kind of sci fi...but nothing I've ever seen in a literary review...
and yet when I have filled out the little green form requesting a book, most of the time, it is never ordered.

The people who work at the desk in the library are wonderful and they try to explain things...but....it's pretty obvious they are not the ones making the decisions.

And then there is the closing of the library on Saturdays. I have asked about this, as I know others have. There was supposed to be a meeting to reconsider the schedule, but last time I asked nothing had been done.

I have been to the library on Monday nights from 5 - 7 for the last few weeks (the information was that Monday nights were the busiest--not Saturdays). Well, for the last few weeks from 5 - 7, there have been maybe six people in addition to my grandson and myself...not including the people who are working at the desk--who apparently drive down from DeFuniak.

I fail to see how this is more economical than keeping the library open from 10 - 2 on Saturday so that people who work Mon - Fri would have a few hours to visit the library.

The entire issue makes no sense to me.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I guess it is all about perspective. I've lived in towns with exceptional libraries. When I moved here, SoWal didn't have a library. When the new one was built, it had so few selections. I've watched it expand greatly over the last several years and am pleased with the growth, but still find the selection to not be worldly. I'm sometimes surprised to find the selections I do find, but my guess is that they are donated. I noticed the library was having a book sale last week. Where do the proceeds from the book sales go? Shouldn't the money be applied to the purchase of new books?

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
I guess it is all about perspective. I've lived in towns with exceptional libraries. When I moved here, SoWal didn't have a library. When the new one was built, it had so few selections. I've watched it expand greatly over the last several years and am pleased with the growth, but still find the selection to not be worldly. I'm sometimes surprised to find the selections I do find, but my guess is that they are donated. I noticed the library was having a book sale last week. Where do the proceeds from the book sales go? Shouldn't the money be applied to the purchase of new books?

The book sale is this Saturday. And the proceeds do go to the library. I checked before I gave four bags/boxes of books for the sale. I have also learned they go through the books and if they are somewhat up to date and there is no copy in the library they keep it. Sounds like good sense to me.

I have ordered things at the Coastal Branch that are supposedly in Defuniak to find out a week or so later they are "missing". Can you believe that individuals steal from the Library? I am totally amazed.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
can the library get its own funding through a special issue on the ballot? like those done for the fire dept., etc.? maybe that would be the answer. does the county library have its own board of trustees? could a "friends of the library" group open the library on saturdays via volunteers?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
There is a Friends of the Library group, they run the gift shop...I was told there were volunteers that had offered to help on Saturdays...not sure why that hasn't happened.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
The book sale is this Saturday. And the proceeds do go to the library. I checked before I gave four bags/boxes of books for the sale. I have also learned they go through the books and if they are somewhat up to date and there is no copy in the library they keep it. Sounds like good sense to me.

I have ordered things at the Coastal Branch that are supposedly in Defuniak to find out a week or so later they are "missing". Can you believe that individuals steal from the Library? I am totally amazed.

you must be kidding. when i worked at the cincinnati public library (awesome - 2nd greatest circulation in the u.s.), our most-stolen title was (ta-da) the Bible! :D

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
you must be kidding. when i worked at the cincinnati public library (awesome - 2nd greatest circulation in the u.s.), our most-stolen title was (ta-da) the Bible! :D

Interesting. Hope it helped them. And they recycled them to others.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The library is hard up and the librarians are as frustrated as we are.

I was thinking that it would be cool if the library could have a wishlist on Amazon or Sowal and people could just buy those books for the library.

If I knew what they needed, I am sure I could find some of the titles in Mama Scooterbug's bookclub books, my shelves, or just buy them. I give them my airport reads already.

Haven't noticed a major lack of "new" books - they have a great selection IMO and I keep finding new authors or new books from my faves.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Excellent idea, scooterbug44!!! excellent. I think you should present that idea to the higher ups at the library.