• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Researchers predict county?s population to double by 2030.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. ? The spate of devastating hurricanes should not deter Florida?s population growth, which is expected to increase steadily over the next quarter century with the fastest growth occurring in metropolitan fringe areas, a new University of Florida study finds.
The state?s population, estimated at about 18 million people in April 2005, is forecast to reach about 20 million in 2010 and nearly 25 million in 2025, said Stefan Rayer, a demographer with UF?s Bureau of Economic and Business Research.
By 2030, the Sunshine State is expected to have 26,419,200 residents, about a half million more than last year?s projections called for, he said.
?Overall, Florida is one of the fastest growing states in the country and that is unlikely to change,? Rayer said. ?While rates have declined since the 1970s, the growth rate is still very healthy, with projections calling for the years 2000 to 2010 to have the largest population increase in Florida?s history.?
The active 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons are unlikely to have much effect on state population growth, although some adjustments were made for four counties that were especially hard-hit by the storms, he said. These four counties were Escambia, Charlotte, DeSoto and Hardee. The counties projected to grow the fastest are Flagler, Sumter, Osceola, Walton, Collier and St. Johns. Flagler, Sumter and Osceola are expected to more than double in size by 2030, with Walton, Collier and St. Johns close behind, he said.
?Most of these counties are at the edge of metropolitan areas that are booming,? Rayer said.
The other fastest growing counties, Walton and Collier, are considered desirable for their coastal amenities, he said.
In sheer numbers, however, the largest counties are projected to add the most residents. While twothirds of all counties are expected to grow faster percentage-wise than Miami-Dade, Florida?s largest county is projected to have the greatest population increase numerically, with about 775,000 more residents by 2030. It is followed by Broward, Orange, Palm Beach and Hillsborough counties.
Because of the 2004 hurricane season, the 2005 county population estimates were reduced from those of a year earlier by 3,600 for Escambia, about 3,000 for Charlotte, 1,500 for DeSoto and 450 for Hardee, Rayer said. In the case of Charlotte County, that results in about 6,000 fewer residents predicted for 2030, with the population projection being revised from about 239,000 to 233,000, he said.
?In the past, effects of these hurricanes have usually been short-lived,? he said. ?The population may have declined from one year to another, but after that the growth pretty much picked up.?
The slowest growing county is projected to be Monroe, followed by Pinellas. ?These two counties have grown very slowly in recent years because of the factor of land,? he said. ?There just isn?t a lot of space left to build.?
The counties expected to add the fewest number of new residents are the small counties. Liberty, Lafayette, Hamilton, Glades and Jefferson, each with populations of less than 15,000, are projected to grow by 3,000 or less residents by 2030, he said.

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
SoWalSally said:

GAINESVILLE, Fla. ? The spate of devastating hurricanes should not deter Florida?s population growth, which is expected to increase steadily over the next quarter century with the fastest growth occurring in metropolitan fringe areas, a new University of Florida study finds.
The state?s population, estimated at about 18 million people in April 2005, is forecast to reach about 20 million in 2010 and nearly 25 million in 2025, said Stefan Rayer, a demographer with UF?s Bureau of Economic and Business Research.
By 2030, the Sunshine State is expected to have 26,419,200 residents, about a half million more than last year?s projections called for, he said.
?Overall, Florida is one of the fastest growing states in the country and that is unlikely to change,? Rayer said. ?While rates have declined since the 1970s, the growth rate is still very healthy, with projections calling for the years 2000 to 2010 to have the largest population increase in Florida?s history.?
The active 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons are unlikely to have much effect on state population growth, although some adjustments were made for four counties that were especially hard-hit by the storms, he said. These four counties were Escambia, Charlotte, DeSoto and Hardee. The counties projected to grow the fastest are Flagler, Sumter, Osceola, Walton, Collier and St. Johns. Flagler, Sumter and Osceola are expected to more than double in size by 2030, with Walton, Collier and St. Johns close behind, he said.
?Most of these counties are at the edge of metropolitan areas that are booming,? Rayer said.
The other fastest growing counties, Walton and Collier, are considered desirable for their coastal amenities, he said.
In sheer numbers, however, the largest counties are projected to add the most residents. While twothirds of all counties are expected to grow faster percentage-wise than Miami-Dade, Florida?s largest county is projected to have the greatest population increase numerically, with about 775,000 more residents by 2030. It is followed by Broward, Orange, Palm Beach and Hillsborough counties.
Because of the 2004 hurricane season, the 2005 county population estimates were reduced from those of a year earlier by 3,600 for Escambia, about 3,000 for Charlotte, 1,500 for DeSoto and 450 for Hardee, Rayer said. In the case of Charlotte County, that results in about 6,000 fewer residents predicted for 2030, with the population projection being revised from about 239,000 to 233,000, he said.
?In the past, effects of these hurricanes have usually been short-lived,? he said. ?The population may have declined from one year to another, but after that the growth pretty much picked up.?
The slowest growing county is projected to be Monroe, followed by Pinellas. ?These two counties have grown very slowly in recent years because of the factor of land,? he said. ?There just isn?t a lot of space left to build.?
The counties expected to add the fewest number of new residents are the small counties. Liberty, Lafayette, Hamilton, Glades and Jefferson, each with populations of less than 15,000, are projected to grow by 3,000 or less residents by 2030, he said.

Haven't these people talked to Shelly yet? Don't they know Walton is doomed? Where are all the service workers going to live? blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..............

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If a particular user bothers you, then it is best to add them to your "ignore" list in your user CP. They will instantly disappear.

$helly

Beach Crab
Feb 25, 2006
Miami
SoWalSally said:

The disaster coming to Walton County as a result of this population explosion is going to make Armageddon look like a Jimmy Buffet concert.
:banging:
These hungry hordes will descend on us like locusts, reserving all the seats at Basmati's, and buying up all the chicken salad at Publix. Soon there will be no food at all, and locals will begin to eat dog food, and when that runs out, their dogs.

All of these new residents will wear a groove in the bike path with their cruiser-type bikes. As this groove fills with water, it will make ideal alligator habitat. These hungry reptiles will ambush and consume most of the local children. Similar instances have occurred!
:bicycle:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/NOcroc.html

Over time, all of the sand on the beaches will disappear downs the drains of the new beach houses? outdoor showers. This will uncover Mesozoic peat deposits, and quite possibly, frozen but still viable carnivorous animals from that period!
:creepy:
http://www.luisrey.ndtilda.co.uk/html/proto.htm

And despite the population increase, property values will continue to decline, as all future price increases for the next 114 years have already been priced in, as demonstrated here:

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath214/kmath214.htm

Eventually, as global warming progresses and the polar ice caps melt, in combination with daily category 5 hurricanes, the entire area will become submerged. The few survivors will eke out a desperate existence like Kevin Costner in ?Waterworld.?

So good luck to you all, I?m moving to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I figure in 5 to 10 years as the climate warms and the sea rises, I?ll once again have a beachfront house in a warm climate. But this time, I?m putting a big fence up before anyone else comes.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
kurt said:
If a particular user bothers you, then it is best to add them to your "ignore" list in your user CP. They will instantly disappear.

Kurt,
Good point. But most of them won't take you up on the offer. I try to make my posts informative, enlightening and entertaining. I believe there are about 5 folks on this board who really "know their stuff" and I enjoy the challenge they provide in helping me hone my reasoning skills and plugging holes in my thesis. The other challenges to my posts are essentially comic relief with little to offer and would clearly go down in a ball of flames should it come to a "battle of wits."

Use the "ignore?" I don't think there will be many takers. Let's face it...even those who live their lives in blissful ignorance need a break now and again. :cool:

For those who do use the ignore...I wish you a fond adieu. :sosad:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
... The other challenges to my posts are essentially comic relief with little to offer and would clearly go down in a ball of flames should it come to a "battle of wits." ....

:roll: Now who might be talking "puffery"? Wouldn't be a tad full of yourself would you shelly?

strange0218.gif

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SHELLY...one thing you do not lack...humbleness. :roll:

$helly that is so amusing!!! :clap_1:

GreenWaveDave

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2005
SHELLY said:
Kurt,
I believe there are about 5 folks on this board who really "know their stuff" and I enjoy the challenge they provide in helping me hone my reasoning skills and plugging holes in my thesis.

Idea Shelly- Why don't you start a new board with those "privileged" 5 folks who really stimulate your "intellectual" juices and let the rest of us "unworthy" posters enjoy ourselves out here?