• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I assume they are "off duty" and making a little money on the side on a holiday weekend? Please tell me we aren't paying for this.

Deputies with the Walton County Sheriff's Office pose for a picture in front of Doak Campbell Stadium before helping with security during the Florida State University football game.

11209557_10152970595886493_6203834580857163906_n.jpg

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I guess some of us have to complain about our county government in some manner or other or we are not happy. May I suggest some of you look at your property taxes and other monetary support of government compared to other places and then shut up. I figure I get a good bang for my buck here. If you don't think so may I suggest you move to some place more to your liking.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It makes the most sense to have a way of allocating law enforcement and other emergency resources for special events in the region rather than having the host city try to go at it alone or use less well-trained rent-a-cops. You'll also get a area few firefighters who go up to work emergency medical services when NASCAR is at Talledega for the weekend. As long as staffing levels 'back home' are properly maintained, I'd see it as good & neighborly regional cooperation.

It will be reciprocated if there's a time Walton County needs that kind of external help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think it's quite common to provide a team of law enforcement assistance to other cities in the region through mutual agreements when needed but usually in emergency situations. Didn't know it extended to football.

Possibly a goodwill gesture that is also fun for our officers. Not the worst thing, imo.

Looks like Tallahassee has a big list of local and state enforcement teams helping with stadium security. Probably a good idea and a positive way for agencies to form working relationships in non emergency situations.

The more we work with other agencies the better, imo. We learn from other agencies as well as gain their support when we need it most.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I think "moonlighting" on your own time is your own business. Moonlighting on the taxpayers dime is a whole nother issue.

Volunteering your time is also your business. Walton County taxpayers have no business funding the issues of other counties regardless of how its reciprocated.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
I guess some of us have to complain about our county government in some manner or other or we are not happy. May I suggest some of you look at your property taxes and other monetary support of government compared to other places and then shut up. I figure I get a good bang for my buck here. If you don't think so may I suggest you move to some place more to your liking.

@Andy A there is always room for improvement in government. And in our own lives. No need to be so rude. If you are going to be so crass as to tell people on our community forum to shut up and move, maybe take your own advice and go to another forum like facebook where manners aren't required. Although I hope you don't because I think you have valuable input. But how about treating others the way you want to be treated?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The forum "Local Government and Groups" is about what our local government is doing Andy and how they spend taxpayer money, You are not forced to read any of this....that's your personal choice....telling people to "shut up" because you are tried of of all the complaining is is over the top even for you...especially when you have the choice not to read any of it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I am pretty sure the deputies involved were off duty and working a special detail paid for by FSU or Leon County. It did not cost Walton County anything and was a good way to make a little extra cash for the officers. Some of them maybe even had a little fun although I suspect the regulars at LCSO or FSUPD put the out of town help in the far parking lots are something similar. But really this is nothing different from the off duty details paid for by SanDestin, Seaside and others.