• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

5th Gen Local

Beach Comber
Jul 16, 2008
DeFuniak Springs
Sheriff candidate Cooper used fianc?e?s position to get interview questions in advance

By Nate Kelly
August 21, 2008 - 10:24AM
Walton County Sheriff's candidate, Tom Cooper, wanted to be prepared for an interview for the job of deputy director of the Walton County jail. He had his then fianc?e, Christine Bell Cooper, emergency operations planner, get a copy of the interview questions beforehand, according to Gary Mattison, human resource director for Walton County.
The questions were public information. However, on May 2, 2007, Bell Cooper was given a Level 1 reprimand for misuse of a public position, a violation of Florida Statute 112.313.
"If anyone did anything wrong it was me, for not marching to the HR office and getting the questions myself," Tom said.
According to Bell Cooper, she does not believe she did anything wrong by providing a public record. "I'm a servant of the county and I did what I'm employed to do," she said.
Seeing the questions in advance did not give him an upper hand, according to Cooper. "Most of them were common sense questions, especially for anybody with law enforcement experience," said Cooper.
Mattison learned of the situation, shortly after the request and discussed it with Cooper before holding the interview on Feb. 28, 2007.
However, Cooper's prior knowledge of the questions did not affect his prospects of getting the job, since the county was looking for someone with jail experience and a more qualified candidate applied, according to Mattison.
"Our questions are open ended," Mattison said. "They are intended to find out the person's experience and background."
Discipline levels for the county start with a formal counseling, then proceeds to a Level 1 and Level 2 reprimand, followed by a suspension and finally dismissal, according to Chris Mitchell, public information officer for Walton County.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Either I am misreading the article or its title is misleading. :dunno:

His fiance got a reprimand for picking up a copy of the PUBLIC questions and giving them to him?

Not much of a smoking gun unless I am missing something.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Agreed

I will have to agree. Nothing here but a public record and someone apparently smart enough to get it. Not like it helped...

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
Sounds like last-minute mud-slinging from Cornman or Adkinson. Par for the course.

I am just amazed that the Sun and Daily News consider something from February, 2007 to be newsworthy. But, it seems like every morning when I read the paper, all that is in it is articles I read 2 days previous on the internet.

The comments from regular folks, however, seem to reflect that most people see this attack for what it is.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
The only question I have about this report is why was she reprimanded for pulling a public document? If inside connections were used to get this document then I could understand. But it was public record and anyone could do it. I don't see an abuse of office in that.:dunno:So, I have to ask, why she was punished for it?

countyline4336

Beach Comber
Apr 16, 2008
The only advance notice I see here is the WALTON SUN "knew in advance"

that if they had run this petty, non-issue article last week, they would not

have been able to collect the advertising income that this candidate is

likely to be spending this weekend. Since the truckstop and the chicken plant

are closed, I think all the whores and chickens moved to the SUN.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The only advance notice I see here is the WALTON SUN "knew in advance"

that if they had run this petty, non-issue article last week, they would not

have been able to collect the advertising income that this candidate is

likely to be spending this weekend. Since the truckstop and the chicken plant

are closed, I think all the whores and chickens moved to the SUN.
Oh, you are a little overboard to say the least. The Sun is a very well done local newspaper, IMO. It is also free. (What else is these days). Gwen Break is a good editor and she definitely says what she thinks in her editorials. I like that, whether I agree with them or not. But then, I haven't the insight into the journalistic world some do. I can only rate what I read.

countyline4336

Beach Comber
Apr 16, 2008
So sorry!!!

Oh, you are a little overboard to say the least. The Sun is a very well done local newspaper, IMO. It is also free. (What else is these days). Gwen Break is a good editor and she definitely says what she thinks in her editorials. I like that, whether I agree with them or not. But then, I haven't the insight into the journalistic world some do. I can only rate what I read.

You are in total agreement with my wife and my mama that I do in fact tend

to go a little overboard at times. My apologies to your Editor friend for not

first ascertaining her previous employment location (truckstop or chicken plant)

before launching my "overboard" opinion. I might pass along a small

"journalistic" insight for your consideration. Editors edit and Publishers

publish. The ultimate decision as to whether or not this last minute swipe got

published rests with the PUBLISHER (and in his case I suspect it was the

truckstop).