• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
I just looked at the aerial photos of the beach post-katrina, and noticed that in certain places the water is dark brown and others it's greener, even when the depth appears similar. In particular, my section of seacrest seems to be the brownest! (http://photosflorida.com/images/katrina/Katrina%209-2-05%20(74).jpg )
Anyone know why that is? There's no dune lake there, but there is a permanent outflow stream in that spot, even when the sand is high. Could that little stream be turning all that water brackish? Or is this more a case of current flow trapping less-clean water? just curious, really.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
You know, I noticed the same thing in the water, one mile east of Seaside. Funny thing was that the brown water I saw was close to the shore and it was clear as the blue, only brown. :dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Some of the pictures were misnamed, although easily recognizeable by the buildings.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
I've seen lots of brown water wherever there are peat outcroppings. Could that be the cause?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SlowMovin said:
I've seen lots of brown water wherever there are peat outcroppings. Could that be the cause?

That makes sense...not much of that down in Destin?

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Oh...you know, you probably just nailed it. Right where we are there is a huge peat floor right at the shoreline (in and out of the water.) Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
As you know, Katie Blue, we're on the same beach. The water there can be very emerald green as well, but I don't know what predicts the changes in color -- time of year, hurricanes, etc.? It has been quite emerald green many times when I've been there since Ivan last year which exposed much of the peat. So, it seems that the water color changes on and off depending on certain environmental changes that are temporary. Mother Nature just doing her thing again, being unpredictable...