• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

karatstravels

Beach Comber
Jun 24, 2008
Hi,

We are in the middle of planning our family vacation for next summer. Our group consists of my parents, myself and my husband, my brother and sister in law and our 4 children (ages 7-infant). We are looking for a large home with a private pool. Watersound seems to have more homes with private pools and we have found several that will meet our needs, however I am wondering how complete the development is? I just do not want to arrive and find that we are in a home surrounded by several construction sites. Watercolor appears to be pretty much complete, just not sure about Watersound.

Any input as to the differences between the two communities would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Leanne

We like Watersound better than Watercolor because most of Watercolor is north of 30A, whereas Watersound is all south of 30A, plus gated and bike- and golf-cart- friendly. Make sure that you don't rent in Watersound West because it is pretty much a ghost town, and the walk to the beach is a long walk.

We are downsizing so that we don't have to rent anymore and can live at the beach half of the year. So we have looked at a bunch of properties. That's why we like Watersound better than Watercolor -- we have looked at both of them seriously as an investment.

That being said, the advantage of Watercolor is that it is in the middle of things -- easy walk or bike ride to Seaside and Grayton, whereas in Watersound you'd have to drive to get to restaurants and shopping. However, there are no bike paths in Watercolor north of 30A which would concern me if I had young children who had to ride their bikes in the road.

Last edited:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Agreeing with what BR says, and adding this:

-Watersound and Watersound West have extended setbacks from the beach. That's great for enjoying the natural dunescape, but to tell the truth, it doesn't much change the trek to the beach compared to Watercolor. Much of Watercolor is also a longish trek to the beach.
-The beaches at both Watersound are far less crowded. Likewise community pools. Whether you see this as an advantage depends on your preferences.
-Construction at both Watersounds is minimal, with the economy being what it is. Even though they aren't built out, you won't have to put up with much, if any, depending on where you rent.
-I bike the Watersounds a lot. Really pleasant places for a relaxing ride.

karatstravels

Beach Comber
Jun 24, 2008
Thanks to both of you....Watersound it is! We are so excited we are finally going to get to visit this beautiful area (we had been planning for last year, but the oil caused us to change our plans). I am sure we will be back year after year.

Thanks Again,
Leanne