• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
O.K., having never stayed (or even seen) WaterColor, is it a terribly far walk from cottages that are located in the Park District &/or the Camp District to the beach? I think the latter must be very far, because of the considerably cheaper rates. We've viewed on-line a couple cottages on VRBO that look spectcular but we're just a little worried that they might be located so far away from eveything that we (that being the rest of the family and teenagers) will be griping & disappointed. Please share info that you may have. Thanks ~

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
By "Park District," I am guessing you mean Park Row which back up to Grayton Beach State Park. Those homes are a two minute walk to the beach. You mention "cottages," and if you are refering to homes in the "Cottage District," those are a 4 minute walk to the beach. The Camp Distict in Phase II, is probably a mile walk to the beach. It is closer to the Publix on Hwy 395 than the beach.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
John, we've never stayed at Watercolor but have stayed lots of times at Seaside, all over town. We never minded walking, to tell you the truth. There's something about being at the beach that time kind of suspends itself and you aren't bothered about walking to get to places. The "trip" is half the fun. At least that's the way we've always looked at it. I know some people must park themselves on top of the waterline, near enough, but we've never thought that necessary. I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old, and neither they or their friends have ever complained about having a cottage "in town" rather than gulfside.

BTW, our own Sueshore has a 2 bedroom place in Watercolor on the beach side of 30-A and it's a marvelous place. I was so impressed at how well-contructed it was. We live in a 1920s home in Indianapolis, and Sueshore's Watercolor home was as good a historic reproduction as I've ever seen, with the high ceilings, huge baseboards, pine floors, etc. I thought Watercolor builders did an outstanding job.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mermaid said:
John, we've never stayed at Watercolor but have stayed lots of times at Seaside, all over town. We never minded walking, to tell you the truth. There's something about being at the beach that time kind of suspends itself and you aren't bothered about walking to get to places. The "trip" is half the fun. At least that's the way we've always looked at it. I know some people must park themselves on top of the waterline, near enough, but we've never thought that necessary. I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old, and neither they or their friends have ever complained about having a cottage "in town" rather than gulfside.

BTW, our own Sueshore has a 2 bedroom place in Watercolor on the beach side of 30-A and it's a marvelous place. I was so impressed at how well-contructed it was. We live in a 1920s home in Indianapolis, and Sueshore's Watercolor home was as good a historic reproduction as I've ever seen, with the high ceilings, huge baseboards, pine floors, etc. I thought Watercolor builders did an outstanding job.

What about the sand in the shorts? It makes for tough, and funny, walking.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
What about the sand in the shorts? It makes for tough, and funny, walking.

Heh, heh, not as bad as fish in the crotch, as once happened to me when we had a cottage at the edge of Seaside on Forest Street! The walking wasn't tough or funny since I didn't know I had a little "visitor" in my swimsuit, but let me tell you, the following scene in the outdoor shower sure was! :shock: ;-) :shock:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Mermaid said:

Yes, I agree, the walk probably wouldn't be too bad. I'm just trying to please everyone else and don't want to listen to all the griping of "how long & hot the walk is, etc." And looking on WaterColor's website, they refer to these areas that I questioned as Park District and Camp District, so that's all I'm going on.
One cottage (or house) I saw on VRBO said it was 10 blocks to the beach. I think that's a haul, so maybe we should check out other locations! But thanks anyway.
Also, we've stayed in Seaside many times, long ago, and didn't mid the walk, but looking at some WC maps and aerials, some of these rentals are WAY, WAY back behind (north) Seaside.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Johnrudy said:
Yes, I agree, the walk probably wouldn't be too bad. I'm just trying to please everyone else and don't want to listen to all the griping of "how long & hot the walk is, etc." And looking on WaterColor's website, they refer to these areas that I questioned as Park District and Camp District, so that's all I'm going on.
One cottage (or house) I saw on VRBO said it was 10 blocks to the beach. I think that's a haul, so maybe we should check out other locations! But thanks anyway.
Also, we've stayed in Seaside many times, long ago, and didn't mid the walk, but looking at some WC maps and aerials, some of these rentals are WAY, WAY back behind (north) Seaside.

I am uncertain of what they are calling the Park District.

There are WC homes north of Seaside that are a short walk to the beach. You are allowed to walk through Seaside to get there.

EDIT: I just looked up the rentals on Watercolorvacations.com
and see what they are calling the Park District. At the most, homes in the Park District are a 7 minute walk to the beach. Of course, you may not want to haul a bunch of crap with you on the walk. Not a bad walk if you are not taking much and you don't have sand in the crotch for the walk back. Rent some bicycles and it is an easy pedal.

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
John, Sueshore is at Watercolor right now and will be 'til the end of the month. I bet if you PM'ed her, she'd check out the place you're interested in. She has this adorable puppy keeping her company, so she's always out for walks.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mermaid said:
John, Sueshore is at Watercolor right now and will be 'til the end of the month. I bet if you PM'ed her, she'd check out the place you're interested in. She has this adorable puppy keeping her company, so she's always out for walks.

I think I spotted her on Sunday at Grayton Beach :shock:.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Smiling JOe said:
I am uncertain of what they are calling the Park District.

There are WC homes north of Seaside that are a short walk to the beach. You are allowed to walk through Seaside to get there.

EDIT: I just looked up the rentals on Watercolorvacations.com
and see what they are calling the Park District. At the most, homes in the Park District are a 7 minute walk to the beach. Of course, you may not want to haul a bunch of crap with you on the walk. Not a bad walk if you are not taking much and you don't have sand in the crotch for the walk back. Rent some bicycles and it is an easy pedal.
Yes, bicycles would be in order for sure.