• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The WCTA Executive Committee has requested to add three agenda items to the Earliest available school board agenda.

The request was made through School Board member Mark Davis who acknowledged receipt of the request and stated that he would start the process of having the WCTA requests added to the School Board agenda.

The three requested agenda items are:

1) Ask that the School Board approve a resolution asking the BCC to place the vote for the ½ mil transfer on the regularly scheduled August ballot rather than a special election in May of 2015.

(Note: The special election would cost the School district approximately $45,000.)

2) Ask that the School Board approve a resolution asking the BCC to place on that same August ballot a measure specifying that the method of choosing a Superintendent of Schools for Walton County be changed from an elected position to an appointed one at the earliest possible date.

3) Ask that the Board approve scheduling School Board meetings in a manner more consistent with the needs and desires of parents and citizens, i.e., always in evenings beginning no earlier than 6 p.m., alternating between locations in DFS and in S. Walton, preferably in the BCC meeting room such that streaming video is facilitated at the minimum cost to taxpayers.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Excellent news. The time is right for some positive changes, and I think the south end of the county is ready to participate at a higher level than in the past. Thanks Bob Hudson for getting the ball really rolling.

Pirate-1

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2014
Thank you so much! Please continue to post information. I'm sure the teachers will be among the supporters filling that room!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Unfortunately teachers can't fill the room, they'll be busy teaching class. It will be up to parents and those interested in a good school system. That includes the elderly who have benefitted from public schools. I, for instance, will try to be there.

Annie66

Beach Lover
Mar 21, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Unfortunately teachers can't fill the room, they'll be busy teaching class. It will be up to parents and those interested in a good school system. That includes the elderly who have benefitted from public schools. I, for instance, will try to be there.
All the teachers I know would be afraid to attend. The fear factor.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There will need to be a huge groundswell of support. I have yet to talk to anybody that is not in 100% agreement that changing to an appointed superintendent is the thing to do, and a really great positive step in the right direction for our school system. The community will need to be very vocal- talk to your friends and neighbors, write the school board members- make it the hot topic for the near future. We can do this.

I was asked, who selects the superintendent? The school board would appoint the superintendent. In a perfect world, a search committee would be formed of educational professionals and community leaders, and they would make recommendations of applicants. It will require some work and perhaps some mentoring/help from other districts that appoint the superintendents (which is the vast majority in the US, so help should not be hard to find).

It is a large job for 5 people, 5 people that don't have 100% confidence of the community. However, our current system is clearly not working. There will probably be some bumps during the implementation and the first couple of years, that is expected. But if we as a community support this process, it can work.

Silence*Dogood

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2014
This is huge step in the right direction!
Let's do our best to keep the community informed.
I know I will.
Together we can do this!
Thank you to those who are stepping up to help.

Pirate-1

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2014
Teachers too afraid to attend meetings...Intimidation is a powerful thing, but don't count the teachers out. From what I'm hearing they are becoming more and more frustrated, courageous, and finally- more vocal. They are realizing there is power in numbers, and by working together, they can hopefully help improve an obviously dysfunctional system. The continued support of the community is desperately needed and appreciated; although, every day additional teachers are becoming involved, speaking out, and working very hard to make things better.

Last edited by a moderator: