• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
263022AC-6950-4AB5-8E3D-15352D1CAB91.jpeg Greetings!

My husband and I not had the financial ability to enjoy a vacation every year during our thirty years of marriage. Our first “beach” vacation was to a lovely bed and breakfast on Lake Erie. We than began visiting Gulf Shores, staying at The Big Beach House B & B on Fort Morgan. After the B & B closed, we decided we would explore Pensacola Beach, which we visited a number of times; it was wonderful, especially the Margaritaville Beach Hotel. Then, someone suggested we visit 30A; we’ve never looked back. We have stayed from Inlet Beach to Miramar. (Seagrove is our favorite.) Now that my husband and I are both retired, we are visiting the first week of October. We’ve never been in the fall, so we are really looking forward to it.

We are homeowners in St. Louis and just this morning my husband was ranting about a neighbor walking his dog across our front lawn. While we can appreciate the frustration of the beach-front property owners, we also feel that there should be some reasonable compromise. Limiting beach-goers to only the wet sand area is incredibly restrictive, especially depending on the tide and other conditions. Since the dunes are protected areas, no one is in the beach-front owners’ backyards. My husband and I are very careful to leave no trace when we visit the beach for the day. Most always we pick up after others as well. We do feel that the number of canopies on the beach has become obtrusive, so restrictions and rules need to be put in place and enforced. We also agree that the beach vendors need restrictions as well so that they do not take over the beach.

Hopefully, the beach issues will be resolved in a fair and equitable manner so that those of us who must travel to visit the gorgeous Gulf Coast will be welcomed without fear of being fined or possibly arrested. Thanks for listening!

Cheers!1ADF9F93-0DB1-4DEC-A720-6BCAD2D0D5E8.jpeg

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
View attachment 72399 Since the dunes are protected areas, no one is in the beach-front owners’ backyards. View attachment 72400

This part is crucial. And wrong. Dunes are not protected.

There should have been a larger coastal setback and no deeds for sand. It is a tragedy that no one was looking out for the incredible and fragile beauty of our ecosystem back in the early days. No one cared. The farm was given away. Scenic Highway 30A itself was cut through dunes in many places.

Even today people are allowed to level dunes and build in their place.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
If the dunes aren’t protected, then why can’t you walk on them? (We don’t want to and we never have.)

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
Unfortunately, James's comment about the dunes NOT being protected is accurate. In Seagrove, there are dunes which were actually protected under federal law until they were transferred to the county. Then the county promptly proposed to remove a significant portion of these dunes to add parking and bathrooms. Fortunately for all, the county reconsidered and decided not to destroy what has made this part of the country beautiful. Hopefully, it stays that way.

As to your comment about not walking on them... There is a concerted effort by the locals to allow the dunes to rebuild to provide additive beauty and storm protection. Where there is an actual ordinance against walking on them is unknown to me. Maybe someone else can answer.

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
Unfortunately, James's comment about the dunes NOT being protected is accurate. In Seagrove, there are dunes which were actually protected under federal law until they were transferred to the county. Then the county promptly proposed to remove a significant portion of these dunes to add parking and bathrooms. Fortunately for all, the county reconsidered and decided not to destroy what has made this part of the country beautiful. Hopefully, it stays that way.

As to your comment about not walking on them... There is a concerted effort by the locals to allow the dunes to rebuild to provide additive beauty and storm protection. Where there is an actual ordinance against walking on them is unknown to me. Maybe someone else can answer.
Thank you for your very polite response ! We love the dunes and want to protect them.