• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Going to be surprised if that one makes it to the end. I do not see much of a downside for Scott to veto it to get his budget cut numbers up. Especially with the other stuff he is considering vetoing.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Who is proposing this, anyway? As I drive by Western Lake it appears there is plenty of room for everybody to do their thing.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
While $500,000.00 for a pedestrian bridge sounds like a lot, take a look and remember that you pass over two bridges. Why isn't the TDC paying this? Too busy rebranding the rebrand?

Andy, the issue isn't the land based portion, but the current bridges allow for a very small margin of error if a bicyclist wobbles.

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
The Western Lake bridge is dangerous...period. I saw someone in a crowd of bicyclists fall into the street and very nearly get her head run over by a pickup truck. People drive too fast, vacationers don't think anything can happen to them and just aren't careful. Sure, there are laws that could be enforced to prevent bad things from happening but, do we want to station a Sheriff's deputy there every day?

I agree that there are many things on the SoWal projects list that should come first but, there is a definite need for pedestrian/bicyclist protection on that narrow bridge.

Here's a novel idea: Instead of spending ridiculous amounts of money on political campaigns to trick constituents into voting for lousy candidates, how about a groundswell of concerned citizens forcing actual campaign reform.

For every corporate dollar donated to a political effort, an equal amount (donated by the same entity) could be donated to back up the consistently empty promises made by politicians. Just think of the BILLIONS that could go to education, infrastructure and other things that are actually needed and would be paid for by the companies that currently impede our nation's progress.

OK, I'm ready for the "naive" comments now. But keep in mind "A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Last edited:

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you think there is plenty of room on that section of 30A when riding bikes, you probably have never ridden your bike across it. It's not too bad if you aren't meeting oncoming bikers, but it can be crazy tight when you do, especially with automobile drivers who are not focused on driving.

Yes, $500K is a lot of money, but if building it saves lives, it seems cheap. Medical expenses for one serious collision could cost that much, easily.