• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think we need a local museum, it's own dedicated building. The library is just not sufficient. I think the old Bay Elementary School building would be perfect. It's too old really for anything else.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Where is the old Bay Elementary school building? Close to the current Bay Elementary?

Where is the old Bay Elementary school building? Close to the current Bay Elementary?

The old school building is the current school building.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The old school building is serving quite well as a school. A lot of renovation has taken place and an addition completed.

A museum building could probably be built in the SoWal Government and Education Center with a lot of concerted effort. Or maybe it could be made part of the new college.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Since my church insists on selling/destroying it :bang: , an ideal situation would be for someone to buy and move the house that was Roy & Edith Burlison's home somewhere for use as a museum.

Unfortunately, ideas take dollars. Lots of them.

It is rumored that the old Point Washington Post Office might be available from the new owners, but it is really small.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Since my church insists on selling/destroying it :bang: , an ideal situation would be for someone to buy and move the house that was Roy & Edith Burlison's home somewhere for use as a museum.

Unfortunately, ideas take dollars. Lots of them.

It is rumored that the old Point Washington Post Office might be available from the new owners, but it is really small.

Selling what? There aren't many old buildings here, and I hope they don't destroy any more. When dad was constable, he apprehended a criminal in the old post office by hitting him over the head with a milk bottle! Bay Elementary was built around the 1930's, and large enough for this idea. It also is very difficult to maintain that old a building with today's standards. The fact they've renovated it dramatically is kind of sad, it should have been listed as historic. Kind of like making a kid glove out of a pigs ear!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am looking forward to my child attending school at Bay. The building may be old, but it is just fine. It is how a school feels that counts, and the school. Building new schools here was necessary, but I like that an old one was kept in service too.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Selling what? There aren't many old buildings here, and I hope they don't destroy any more. When dad was constable, he apprehended a criminal in the old post office by hitting him over the head with a milk bottle! Bay Elementary was built around the 1930's, and large enough for this idea. It also is very difficult to maintain that old a building with today's standards. The fact they've renovated it dramatically is kind of sad, it should have been listed as historic. Kind of like making a kid glove out of a pigs ear!

I just figured out who you are. :D

Hint: my dad was a constable too. My parents were friends with your parents. And, because of our parents, we are both fortunate enough to live on the bay (though with taxes and insurance, it's harder for us than it was for them).

But I disagree about Bay Elementary. The sad truth is that, if it had closed, it would have fallen into disrepair as all the other old elementary schools throughout the county have. And, unlike the other old schools, I doubt they would have just turned over the keys to the community - the land is too valuable. Last I heard, there were around 300 kids there!

Last edited:

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
and it's a wonderful school....giving our kids a taste of what things used to be. Small and friendly:D