Weather/Gulf Conditions in August....

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by cwalen, Apr 12, 2016.

1. cwalen

cwalen Beach Comber

We are considering changing our plans from Charleston (Isle of Palms) to Seagrove in August. In my opinion (and I could totally be wrong) but the weather shouldn't be that much different from IOP / Charleston temps at that time.

How dreadful is the weather in SoWal in the first two weeks of August? My kids are practically fish so we'll be in the pools/gulf...which reminds me - how calm is the gulf that time of year (pending absence of a major storm)?

2. SoWal Staff

SoWal Staff Serving the Community! Staff Member

Weather for South Walton Beaches in Florida | SoWal.com - Insider's Guide for South Walton Beaches & Scenic 30A

3. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

A good time to be in the water it will be hot!

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

I was in Charleston last August for 2 weeks. So hot & humid didn't even want to go outside.

5. hippiechick

hippiechick Beach Fanatic

The weather is hot anywhere in August. The Isle of Palms is gorgeous and if I had a choice that is where I would go. But the Gulf water is far superior in clarity and the sand is a lot softer on the feet. So if that is important come here. Keep in mind this area is highly populated in August, meaning bumper to bumper traffic in Seagrove and long waits in restaurant.

6. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

Great time not to come to Sowal...

7. cwalen

cwalen Beach Comber

Confused. Are you saying I should not come?

8. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

I would take Seagrove over Isle of Palms anyday! The beaches are unattractive. Most schools start in the beginning of August, so it probably won't be too crowded in Seagrove. Some people on the forum can be very sarcastic. Enjoy our stay!

9. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

We come to SoWal in August just about every year because we have rent out two and we dash down to SoWal as soon as the peak summer rental season is over, usually the 2nd or 3rd week in August. It is our favorite time of year to be there because it's quiet, everything is still open, we get the pool and beach almost to ourselves, and all we want to do is swim or float in the pool, hang out at the beach (rent beach chairs and umbrella to make it easy), sit on the porch in the mornings and evenings when it's not too hot, and nap inside in the afternoons (where it's air conditioned). We haven't experienced red tide. It used to be that there were hardly any renters in August, but the last few years have been a bit busier, so it seems that more people are enjoying SoWal in August (last August there were about 4 families sharing the beach with us).

Attached Files:

10. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I should add that it tends to rain during many afternoons in August (sometimes for a quick 30 minutes, sometimes longer), and we nap or sit on the covered porch and read while it rains around us. We like that sort of afternoon.

11. cwalen

cwalen Beach Comber

Paula - how calm is the gulf that time of year? How clear? I want to paddle board.

12. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

Usually August is pretty calm, but you never know.

13. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

We've been going to the Seacrest beach area in August every year since 2003, and I haven't noticed any changes over the years. Usually pretty calm. Of course, you should stay out of the ocean if there's a storm and there's a red flag, so you'll want to rent a place with a pool for those days. We just get a book/magazine and float around the pool on those days - in the evenings we watch the stars come out from the beach or a float in the pool. We paddled boarded for the first time last year and it was pretty awesome. One day, the dolphins joined one of our group. pm me if you have any other questions.

14. mbo222

mbo222 Beach Comber

We make it a point to go there every year for the first two week of august. Over a decade now. The amount of people tends to decrease sig as the days progress as school goes back in session. The nights are long and pleasant. Its hot, but the gulf is usually accommodating. We frequent that area alot and outside of October this is one of our favorite times.

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Another advantage of going in August if you can do it is that the rental rates change to the significantly lower fall rates around the 2nd or 3rd week in August. Quite frankly, I don't see any difference in the weather in July or August. But maybe locals do.