1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

weekend crime

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by John G, Feb 8, 2015.

1. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Anyone hearing about a crime wave this weekend? Multiple home burglary and robbery? Thompson Ed and East Hewitt Ares.

Nothing on sheriffs site (typical)...

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I did read something on FB about some car-hopping going on in that area.. but also saw an arrest for criminal misch/trespassing/burglary etc. so maybe they got the person responsible.

3. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

I heard Driftwood Estates had break in's.

4. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Beach Comber

Go to: Waltonso.org and go to the crime map. It shows flags on map of where/time and what type of crime.
    Great site

5. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

It's not the week end yet and our neighborhood was hit last night. Right in back of us. Man walked through the front door and fortunately woman had two dogs that started to bark so he took off on foot. Lucky for her he took off. It happened at about 12:30 AM and we are right off of 30A in Seacrest!

6. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Lot of thefts and break-ins being reported lately, most seem to be crimes of opportunity aided by unlocked doors, but crime is definitely on the rise!

7. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Some people think that by not locking their doors, a karmic force is released that keeps the crime rate low. Locking their doors has the opposite effect.

8. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I always leave my door unlocked, but I leave my 120" HD plasma flat screen on all night,to scare the burglars away. Nobody gonna come by 101 Very Sunnydale Lane on my watch.

9. poppy

poppy Banned

It's been eight years, but if I ever miss Memphis again I'll just visit the crime hell hole known as 30A and save time and gas.

10. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

If the 70lb. black pitbull coming out of the dark at them doesnt make them leave the shine of a chrome plated 9mm might....

11. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Like I've said before, if you are not comfortable with guns, DeCon wasp and hornet spray has a 25' range and will disable perps per my brother's advice. So this is how I roll now. I have guns as backup. I also keep the burglar alarm on constantly and have motion detectors hidden in multiple locations outdoors. The sounds tell me which motion detector has been activated. I have other safety measures at both houses which I will not reveal.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  12. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

Wouldn't that just make them as mad as a hornet?

13. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

Chihuahuas. Angry, starving chihuahuas.

14. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Anyone caught stealing chihuahuas should be punished by being made to keep them the rest of their lives.

15. golden

golden Beach Lover

Where did you get your spray ? I have been wanting to get that as well ..thank you

16. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I guess Walton County dodged the bullet on this one... Yet, two armed robberies recently and a new string of burglary attempts (according to this post)...

How did the "hundreds" of Spring Break Arrests last year (and probably this year), effect these Crime Stats?

======

EDITORIAL: FBI stats set region a-spinning
    [h=5]Published: Friday, February 13, 2015 at 04:53 PM.[/h]
    Soon after online sources reported that the Crestview-Fort Walton Beach-Destin area was one of the top “metros with soaring crime rates,” local law enforcement authorities, office seekers and office holders were trying to spin the stats to their advantage.
    24/7 WallSt. and The Huffington Post said numbers from the FBI pointed to a 40.2 percent rise in violent crime here over the past five years.
    In Crestview, where the crime rate already is roiling City Hall politics, incumbent Mayor David Cadle said crime has been on the decline since police department corruption was cleaned up. “We’re going in the right direction,” he said.
    City Councilman Tom Gordon, running against Mr. Cadle for the mayor’s job, saw it differently. “Crestview’s crime level,” he said, “makes the rest of the community look bad because it’s so high.”
    You’d think the two were looking at entirely different sets of numbers.
    Or maybe they were looking at the numbers Sheriff Larry Ashley was using. The sheriff said crime in Okaloosa County spiked between 2009 and 2012 but has fallen since then. He said the situation improved after he pressed the County Commission for more crime-fighting funds.
    “It’s only been in the two past years that the commission has addressed our shortages and manpower and capital,” Sheriff Ashley said.
    In Fort Walton Beach, Police Chief Ted Litschauer had little use for any of the crime statistics being debated. “I’ve never had high regard for Ms. Huffington or her publication,” he said.
    Ms. Huffington is Arianna Huffington, the conservative-turned-liberal co-founder and editor of The Huffington Post. Chief Litschauer clearly thought numbers supplied by the FBI would become untrustworthy if cited by a left-leaning source.
    More likely, sources that lean left or right would spin the numbers accordingly, just as we’ve seen officials in Okaloosa give the crime stats a vigorous variety of interpretations. The only thing for certain is that any list called “Cities Where Crime Is Soaring” is not the kind of list we want to be on.

17. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

They are like little land piranha. They will pick your flesh to the bone.

18. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I couldn't find D-Con here. My brother suggested Hot Shot Wasp and Hornet at Walmart. It should have a range of 20+ feet so you aren't too close to the perp.