• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sophiasnana

Beach Comber
Jan 3, 2010
Destin
Hello Everyone,

We are back, we moved to Austin, Texas thinking that was what we all wanted, turns out my son was the only one happy there so he stayed and we moved back to the beach. We will remain here now, there is something about that beach. If a person is around it for too long it grabs hold of you. Who knew!!! In Austin, Texas I kept looking around for something pretty nothing came close to that emerald green ocean NOTHING. Jobs were not any better then here. Anyway Hello to all. Oh by the way I am Nana and I am still running Overnight Kitchen Backsplashes and Destin HouseKeeping Services.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I'm surprised about the jobs situation. I thought Texas was booming.

Welcome back!

Sophiasnana

Beach Comber
Jan 3, 2010
Destin
Booming in Texas

I'm surprised about the jobs situation. I thought Texas was booming.

Welcome back!

Well yes and no! For a year I planned my move to Austin I did more research on Austin, Texas then a crime lab does over a murder case. The job market is better BUT! Time and time again I read that Texas would be the last to go into the recession and Texas would be the first to come out of the recession.

This made since to me due to their low unemployment rate. When I got to Austin and started speaking to ALOT of business there I was told that they started feeling the recession in mid 2009 some in 2008. I wanted to scream and it sort of pixxed me off since I have been running from this recession since 2007.

What I really found out to be true was that eight out of 10 of those businesses stated the above quote a little differently. Quote; Texas would be the last to go into the recession and the last to come out of the recession. I just wanted to cry each time I heard that and certainly wanted to kick myself for spending thousands of dollars to be there.

What I found was if a person was looking for a job that pays 9.50 to 10.25 an hour you could get a job pretty quickly in Austin and I did actually land a job at Basset Furniture for a potential salary of 80,000 a year commission based only.

Here is what changed my mind I believe that a person can get a 9.50 to 10.25 hour a job here don't need to live in a urban city with the label of keep Austin weird for that. Secondly if I myself was going to work a commissioned based job I could move back to Destin and continue to run my own business and work commission.

Sorry that was so long

Last edited:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
No apology necessary. It was insightful. Many of us have been "running from this recession since 2007," and feel your pain. I guess the bottom line is: if you're forced to suffer through a cr*ppy economy, might as well live in a place where you can enjoy the scenery.

Sophiasnana

Beach Comber
Jan 3, 2010
Destin
That's the way I figured it and broke is right. Does anyone want a beautiful custom designed kitchen backsplash? If so I can do that!!

Last edited: