• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
That's what I've always assumed.

The 4-laning of 331 and the new parkway are both in motion and on their own track. I don't think it is an either/or situation. I fully expect 331 bridge will be a toll bridge, maybe both will be.

10 cents to get in to SoWal and 5 bucks to leave. :lol:

I haven't heard that there was much motion on four-laning the 331 bridge, lately.
If any of the routes of the proposed parkway do not cross the intercoastal, it wouldn't be much of a difference than the existing route.
If the parkway crossed the intercoastal, the bridge would be essential the same as the Westbay Bridge.
I would think it would cost nearly as much as adding a two lane bridge on 331 (It wouldn't be 3 miles long, Murray; just as long as the existing bridge).
You can bet that if the 331 bridge becomes a toll bridge, then 79 becomes the new gateway to the EmeraldCoast/The Beach/BeachesofSoWal.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The attached handout from the June 2011 meetings on the West Bay Parkway proposal includes an evaluation matrix that shows the projected cost of the bridge options.

View attachment 24882

Thanks, Miz. According to the matrix, the cost of any bridge would be about $60million. Does anybody know the cost of four-laning the 331 bridge/causeway? My point is that I think this Parkway is not only totally unecessary, but could be very anti-productive to solving the most major infrastructure problem in Walton County.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I haven't heard that there was much motion on four-laning the 331 bridge, lately.

The section north of Owl's Head is about to start - it is being done in stages.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/4-Lane-Hwy-331/157049364366817

If any of the routes of the proposed parkway do not cross the intercoastal, it wouldn't be much of a difference than the existing route.
True - until it is 6-laned.

If the parkway crossed the intercoastal, the bridge would be essential the same as the Westbay Bridge.
I would think it would cost nearly as much as adding a two lane bridge on 331 (It wouldn't be 3 miles long, Murray; just as long as the existing bridge).
The new 331 bridge section has to be all elevated like the Mid-Bay bridge. I believe the existing section has to be redone that way also.

You can bet that if the 331 bridge becomes a toll bridge, then 79 becomes the new gateway to the EmeraldCoast/The Beach/BeachesofSoWal.
I doubt it. Folks will pay a few bucks to save 30 minutes or more to get to paradise, or back home for that matter.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Kurt: I hadn't heard that any new 331 span of the bay would have to be open bridge all the way across. I haven't heard any news at all about anyone considering building a new bridge there. Last word I heard was that the private enterprise that offered to build it was turned down. What's the official latest word fom FDOT?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It's also my understanding that the current 331 causeway isn't up to modern code- too low to the water, and someone's WCSO husband here has a pretty good story about it not being particularly safe when the waves really kick up pre-hurricane. (It also closes at lower wind speeds than other major bridges in the panhandle because of this) I suspect that it's not just a matter of adding a span to what's already there, they'd probably have to do a fair amount of engineering to bring the whole thing up to modern safer standards.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Thanks, Miz. According to the matrix, the cost of any bridge would be about $60million. Does anybody know the cost of four-laning the 331 bridge/causeway? My point is that I think this Parkway is not only totally unecessary, but could be very anti-productive to solving the most major infrastructure problem in Walton County.

At one time, I think the NWFLTCA had the estimate for the 331 four lane from I-10 to Hwy 98, including the bridge, being around $220 million (However, I was thinking that the bridge alone was $220 million, so I'm not sure). They have more recently removed the estimated costs/project from their priority list.

The current 331 bridge is around 2.5 -3 miles in length. The intra-coastal is around 200 feet in width. The 331 bridge construction may be coming from Federal dollars. We'll see. I'm guessing it will look more like the connecting Panama City to Panama City Beach, but not as high, but it probably depends on costs.

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
From what I understand, if a new 331 bridge were to be constructed, it wound have to span the bay. they would not be able to use causeways. I think hwy 20 would be the most viable route. Once you hit it, you can head north, west or east and hit major hi-ways. Am I missing something?