West Bay Parkway - [Update: Preferred Route Chosen]

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by GoodWitch58, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

Buzz, that is interesting. Do you think if they completely destroy the existing causeway across the bay and replace it with new, that they could claim that that particular section of 331 is a not an "existing road," thereby escaping that rule?

2. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

Dunno maybe since it is a new bridge, they could pull it off.

To me a toll bridge is a bad idea, it won't hurt me and it won't hurt the vast majority of my clients but the charge will impact people who can least afford to pay.

3. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

It will certainly affect businesses on the North side of the 331 bridge. It is just not a good idea for a toll bridge. How many toll booths would there need to be to prevent cars from backing up? How wide would that area be and how far from the bridge. Low income workers would be negatively impacked. Delivery costs would increase. What would happen to the causeway? There are a lot of people who enjoy fishing along the causeway. We need to get this right. I know we need the bridge and I know we have relatively little political clout to get it paid for compared to central and south Florida. This will be an issue to pay close attention to and get involved in the discussions.

4. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I think toll bridges and booths just add additional costs and time to these projects.

5. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

The new toll collection method the state's pushing for is zero toll booths- everything will be either Sunpass or pay-by-plate (ie. toll bill gets sent to mailing address attached to the license plate) Idea is that it both speeds up traffic and reduces personnel costs. The new Sunpass hardware on the road side of things even allows 50-60mph speeds (see Suncoast Parkway north of Tampa) when going through the transponder trigger point.

6. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Another thing to consider. FDOT plans to put a traffic signal at the intersection of Short Avenue to align with Old Jolly Bay Road during the road widening phase. If there are toll booths this will become very interesting. If toll booths become obsolete (I am not sure that technology has been worked out) there will still be no high speed tolling (unless maybe you time a green light). Chelco has began surveying to relocate the power lines. This is suppose to start next year.

7. SoWal Staff

SoWal Staff Serving the Community! Staff Member

The overall project limits are from US 98 (SR 30) east of Peach Creek in Walton County to SR 77 in Bay County; however, the project will be divided into two segments (refer to the project map), with each segment having its own PD&E study. For more details on the segments of the project, please go to the "Project Overview" page of this website.

8. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

THE STATE Department of Transportation’s preferred alignment for the West Bay Parkway Segment 1 Project in Walton County (Alternative 10) has been officially accepted by the agency.

The FDOT roadway connecting CR 388 in Bay County to US 98 in Walton County east of Peach Creek and west of Watersound Parkway. A four-lane roadway, approximately 10 – 12 miles in length that will include a new high-level bridge across the Intracoastal Waterway. The project will give Walton County a more direct route to the Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport, and serve as a critical evacuation route in the event of a hurricane.

This project has been in the works for quite some time, multiple studies have been completed and a route has been recommended. “The planning study for the bridge has been completed. Funding for design, right of way and construction has not yet been identified,” said the FDOT.

The road will cross mostly St. Joe Company land.

424464-1_WBP-Alternative-1024x736.jpg