• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Just thought I'd give everyone a heads-up. I live in DeFunn and a good friend who lives four houses down from me got a letter from the Red Cross that the blood he donated the week prior tested positive for WNV. He's fine now, but felt really bad over the weekend and thought he might have a virus, but had no idea it was WNV. Here's the info sheet from the health department on WNV and mosquito borne viruses- :creepy:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdwalton/PublicHealth/PR_MosquitoBorneIllness_090612.pdf

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
It's rampant here. Lots of deaths, but almost always with otherwise compromised patients. Aerial spraying almost every night, but as I just told my friend on fb--go DEET yourself!!

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure I had it. Woke up with eye pain that felt kind of like a sinus headache. That lasted a couple of days but never progressed into anything worse. I was tired but not fluish, and had no fever. Then I had a rash all over. Thankfully those were my only symptoms. I'm not even outside all that much and I keep a can of bug spray on the back porch because the mosquitoes seem worse this year than ever before.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
There is a wonderful presentation on www.neighborvision.com by John Magee, Mosquito Control Commissioner that really is informative regarding mosquitos and their habits. If you are interested in what is done in South Walton to prevent mosquito carried disease, I suggest you take some time to view this presentation. Kudos to John Magee.

Last edited: